Thread: country victoria digital tv

Thanks

Default country victoria digital tv

Hello All,
    My son recently moved to country Victoria Half way between Ballarat+Bendigo,some aerials are facing Ballarat +some facing Bendigo .
    If he were to install a second aerial with a diplexer would a Digibox be able to sort out the frequencies from both transmitters or would there be a clash of frequencies?

Dash.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

A diplexer won't work as the frequencies from both transmission sites are in the same band.

There are numerous adjacent channels from both sites on both analogue and digital, which may interfere with each other if trying to combine them all.

Depending on signal strengths and quality at his location, a UHF combiner (or 2-way spltter in reverse) may work, but I have my doubts.

A digital tuner is going to try and allocate the same LCN for both signals of any digital network and most tuners will take the first one it receives (in numerical order) and reject the other. Some may add the other above LCN 300.

He could attempt an auto scan with the antenna pointed at one transmitter, then the other, however, the tuner may still try & replace existing channels on the second scan.

Probably the best chance is to enter all the channels manually. Once again, it depends on the particular tuner how it will respond.

Rather than trying to combine two antennas, a more reliable method would be to use an antenna changeover switch.

Personally, I see little benefit in doing what you propose, as both Bendigo and Ballarat transmissions carry identical programming, with the exception of local news and commercials.

Thanks

thanks for the reply mtv,
    I wasn't aware that they were the same content,
    thanks again.

Dash