Thread: Advice for alarm newbie

Thanks

Default Advice for alarm newbie

I'm not sure whether to go with wired or wireless sensors. Wireless obviously saves time and cuts and bruises but I'm not sure what the cons are.

I have a choice to buy Bosch Solution 16 or a DAS system. Any others worth considering?

I'd like to learn to do the programming myself but not so keen on the binary codes you have to enter on keypads so something that comes standard with a PC interface would be a great leap forward.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

das and bosch are both good.

If you can hardwire then my advice would be to do so.

How many devices you looking at having????

Thanks

both are good systems we install DAS but also have no hassles with the Bosch Systems that have come our way.If you can cable thats the better option 1 hr crawling around in your ceiling dragging cables from different rooms to the location you are going to drop them to the panel and the dirty works done.
    Radio PIRs , Smokkes , Reeds are a lot more expensive then hardwired and you need a receiver as well.
    if you want remotes you can buy budget remotes and receivers instead of the multi channel required for sensors etc.
    Software might be a tat hard to get if you are a one up job and the programming isnt that bad on either panel
    there are many panels out there with wireless but i have only used
    DAS , Bosch & serviced Ademco and found them all rock solid
    some of the others lack range and sensor quality but thats my opinion

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

I'm with tastech , spend a little extra time and do the cabling. Generally the only saving cabling wise is the PIRs , the codepad, sirens and strobes have to be cabled anyway. There was a previous post here on an airconditioner that was playing up & disrupting ALL radio comms around a house ( alarm as well as car remote )
    There is SOoo much RF crap floating around that I only use wireless when absolutely neccessary. I have had a few issues with Ademco wireless , haven't used DAS wireless & usually go for Bosch because it is so user friendly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    das and bosch are both good.

If you can hardwire then my advice would be to do so.

How many devices you looking at having????
    Looking at minimum of 6 maxiumum of 8 PIRs. Don't really need the remote keyring arming, just another thing to carry around, keypad arming will do fine. Back to base via phone line not a high priority. I guess I'll choose between the two based on price and how available they make their programming manuals and software.

If I find the supplier or installers want to play games about not giving me programming info because I'm not an installer then I take my business elsewhere I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by genus View Post
    Looking at minimum of 6 maxiumum of 8 PIRs. Don't really need the remote keyring arming, just another thing to carry around, keypad arming will do fine. Back to base via phone line not a high priority. I guess I'll choose between the two based on price and how available they make their programming manuals and software.

If I find the supplier or installers want to play games about not giving me programming info because I'm not an installer then I take my business elsewhere I guess.
    give arlec a call as they cater for what your asking. They would love your business.

Thanks

If you are not interested in back-to-base then the Solution 16plus from Bosch
    offers sms text message reporting which maybe worth considering.

Not sure if Arlec can do this....

Thanks

Is wiring with cat5 ok? Or is it too thin?

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Aust standards specify 14/020 for security installations. This is a cable made from 14 strands of .02mm wire. Cat 5 is single strand cable , not as flexible as multistrand and more likely to fracture if continually bent. Having said that & to answer your question - yes it will work using cat 5 but it is NOT the right way to do it.

Banned
    Thanks

I'm not sure whether to go with wired or wireless sensors. Wireless obviously saves time and cuts and bruises but I'm not sure what the cons are.

I have a choice to buy Bosch Solution 16 or a DAS system. Any others worth considering?

I'd like to learn to do the programming myself but not so keen on the binary codes you have to enter on keypads so something that comes standard with a PC interface would be a great leap forward.
    There is no binary programming for either the DAS or the Bosch but the basic programming is completely diffent to each other.

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

I spent 3 years running an electronic security company and I can categorically state that hard wired is the way to go.
    Radio links have their uses but things like radio PIRs are a liability.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    Aust standards specify 14/020 for security installations. This is a cable made from 14 strands of .02mm wire. Cat 5 is single strand cable , not as flexible as multistrand and more likely to fracture if continually bent. Having said that & to answer your question - yes it will work using cat 5 but it is NOT the right way to do it.
    I know you know this watchdog, and hate to correct you here.....BUT.....

Aust standards require as a minimum 7/020 4 core cable and 14/020 single strand and figure 8 cable.

Checkout AS2201.1:2007 2.6.2a(i) and (ii)

Personally I use 14/020 for all installs, but hey thats me.

Thanks

We have approx 20% of our clients with RF gear installed, and have no real issues with them over wired.

The only advantage with RF is that it easier to install (is that why installers don't like them?)

The disadvantage is that they are more costly to buy in the first place.

Our rule of thumb is that we wire if practical, but wireless if not.

I have a personal preference to Bosch RF PIR's but have been using DAS for a while and had no real hassle.

I'm not fond of DSC, but that's because I have found a couple that have deleted the wireless PIR's due to an error by the previous service tech, and that is a little to easy to do.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

fastwrx - my appologies , just checked your reference in aust standards & found you were wrong , then checked to date of my ASA & found it was 1987. Doesn't time fly quicker as you get older , it seems like only last year I updated them. Checked the draft copy of ASA2006 & found you were right.
    Anyway , as my old pappa used to say " do it proper, do it with copper "

Thanks

That SMS text card for the Bosch solution 16 sounds like a very useful feature as I'm thinking of just using VOIP for phone. Does it require that you buy another SIM card? Can it be from any mobile provider? Do any of the DAS systems also have this SMS feature?

Also while shopping around I noticed you can get 360 degree PIR's that you mount in the middle of rooms. Where are these mostly useful? To me it sounds like these would be better in general for any room but I mostly see cornice mounted PIR's. Or are these a fairly new design?

Thanks

there is an sms module you can buy for the NX's from DAS.

Also 360's have been around for ages, just dont look that good in peoples houses