Thread: has this happend to you?

Thanks

Default has this happend to you?

hi there I have a LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S installed in my pc. the kids left an old game cd, around 4 to 5 years old in the drive.
    the pc was left on for around 5 hours, when a loud bang came from it, at first i thought the power supply let go,it was that loud that my son who was using it at the time went screaming out the back door, he thought it was going to blow up but it was still going.
    my surprise came when i opened the drive tray,it was full of exploded disk,did a google on this seems iam not the only one.but i was lucky my drive still works.
    just wondering has this happend to you?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

No.
    Was it a genuine or burnt disc in the drive?

Thanks

yep, ive had a cheap a** cdrw do the disintegrating trick inside a pioneer dvd burner...............they go off with a bang hey.
    i thought we had a sniper and he just missed my head and hit the pc tower. i went comando rolling around to avoid the bullets when i realized it was the burner and the disk. (too much gaming)

my kids thought it was they funniest thing they have seen yet! the missus still chuckles about it.

well i thought it was a bullet...................

NS
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm But Its The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese!

Thanks

I had a legit new driver disc for a PCI TV receiver explode....I just put the disc in and it revved up....then revved up some more....then really revved its ring out. The disc flew into many pieces and made a hell of a bang.

I cleaned all the bits of disc out and the (LG) drive still worked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wyndham1 View Post
    hi there I have a LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S installed in my pc. the kids left an old game cd, around 4 to 5 years old in the drive.
    the pc was left on for around 5 hours, when a loud bang came from it, at first i thought the power supply let go,it was that loud that my son who was using it at the time went screaming out the back door, he thought it was going to blow up but it was still going.
    my surprise came when i opened the drive tray,it was full of exploded disk,did a google on this seems iam not the only one.but i was lucky my drive still works.
    just wondering has this happend to you?
    and yes moof it was a elcheapo burnt cd

Thanks

Before I installed my burner, I read several articles on this type of phenomenon, and of the several conclusions reached, the one that made sense to me concerned stability and balance. Therefore, instead of the usual 4 little screws, I used 8 to stabilise the drive, since they can spin nearly as fast as a bullet. That was 2005, and no problems yet. Four tiny extra screws is a cheap preventive measure. Some people have been injured.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    Before I installed my burner, I read several articles on this type of phenomenon, and of the several conclusions reached, the one that made sense to me concerned stability and balance. Therefore, instead of the usual 4 little screws, I used 8 to stabilise the drive, since they can spin nearly as fast as a bullet. That was 2005, and no problems yet. Four tiny extra screws is a cheap preventive measure. Some people have been injured.
    In my opinion it has nothing to do with the drive but rather with the quality disc.
    The center hole being a poofteenth of a millimeter of center will have huge consequences at 10000 rpm. (even if it's just the label being off center)

Thanks

Yes, that happens, and that is one scenario where added stability can make an important difference. Being on a very limited budget, I have never stayed long with one make of disc because I always purchase the very cheapest I can find. I currently have Akimoto CDRs which cost $5 for 50. I have also used Verbatim, Benq, TDK, Muller, MTV, and Strathfield. Mind you, 95% of the time I burn at 16x. Would that make a difference? Best wishes to all.

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

An article in a consumer electronics magazine I read once described how a computer user once pushed the "Open" button on a CD-rom drive when the disc was still spinning at maximum speed.
    This would have been on an earlier drive which did not incorporate disc stopping before opening the drawer. [Some of them were like that!]

The drawer opened, the disc flew out, still spinning at many thousands of rpm, shot across the room and embedded itself halfway into the wall.

It's a scary thought.

As for discs exploding inside drives, yes, quite common.

Why drives need to spin so fast is beyond me. All you do at higher speeds is raise the possibility of errors being introduced, especially when burning discs.
    I still burn everything at 4 x. I can't see the point of doing it at 16 or 32 x.
    Ok, might be "faster" - but I am in no rush, and I'd sooner have a reliable disc than one that was spat out in 3 minutes that is full of errors.
    Last edited by BCNZ; 20-07-09 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks

I agree. I rarely burn a CD faster than 16X. Perhaps that is why the very cheapest discs work well for me. But I wouldn't like a disc striking me even at 4X either.

Thanks

never heard of it. but will be sure to take my disks out when not using them now

Thanks

You guys obviously dont watch Mythbusters. They did a story on this exact topic a while back. It has to do with the discs not being able to withstand the higher rpm of some of the drives on the market. I cant rember the exact figures but I think they said a 16x drive does 25000 rpm and 16x discs are rated to handle this but you put one in a 40x drive which does 50000 rpm and kerrrrbang. As I said the figures arent correct just an example.
    "I dont care who your old man is. Dont walk on the water while I`m fishin`". Peter The Apostle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    In my opinion it has nothing to do with the drive but rather with the quality disc.
    The center hole being a poofteenth of a millimeter of center will have huge consequences at 10000 rpm. (even if it's just the label being off center)

You got it in one Weirdo,
    It's called the GIGO effect
    Garbage in, Garbage out

Thanks

It happened to me but my disc had a crack in the inner ring, very big bag, got most of the exploded disc out and the drive still worked fine

When the 48x and 52x cd roms where released many moons ago, the interent was full of storys about exploding disc's