Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aussies accept nuclear power! When did we get asked?

Thanks

Default Aussies accept nuclear power! When did we get asked?

Don't recall anybody asking.

Ziggy Switkowski, the chairman of the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, says the Australian public will be ready for nuclear power in two to five years.

If I want too,I can, I will

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I'm ready and reckon nuclear is the only way to go to reduce carbon emissions.

Leroy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I'm ready and reckon nuclear is the only way to go to reduce carbon emissions.

Leroy
    Maybe so but when did we get asked. This goodava pichka says we accept it. How the hell does he know. Who did he ask?

Thanks

Bring it on and couple it with the largest desal plant the world has ever seen pump it all into the snowy,flood the murray with water.Australia's water prob solved

Thanks

Ziggy has been on this kick for a few years now, its not really news. Ziggy also thought we didn't need broadband
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

bring it on

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
    Ziggy has been on this kick for a few years now, its not really news. Ziggy also thought we didn't need broadband
    Ah just as I thaught Ziggy if full of shite

Thanks

Peter Garret will be lovin it...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

AHHH At last i will be able to get a job
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Bring it on, it's a great idea. The latest generations of plants are extremely safe and yes, combine the waste heat for desal.
    While where about it, lets value add to the uranium mining. Enrich the stuff, export it on the one proviso- we get the waste back (and we charge for that to) or you don't get anymore if you dont send back the waste. In other words we control the cycle.
    We probably have the bigest reserves in the world.
    Stuff coal this is the way to go until we work out the fussion thingy.
    The frogs have got it worked out well. I think 80% of there power comes from nuclea, they don't seem to have to many problems with it and they are a slightly left of centre country.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

I'm all for it.

The chances of a radiation meltdown are pretty near impossible these days.

Waste heat boilers to drive the de-sal plants. A win win situation.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

Thanks

I, by no means am a greeny or know everything about Nuclear technology and always thought it is the way to go, till watching this doco -

I dont know how much truth there is to the mining side of uranium etc, but maybe we should look at other means...the tailings dams alone could turn into a night mare - I see the leaks and effects rain causes to our Iron Ore Dam up here in the Pilbara, not easy to control.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoochDaTank View Post
    Maybe so but when did we get asked. This goodava pichka says we accept it. How the hell does he know. Who did he ask?
    I don't think he was saying Australians accepted or were asked yet. What he claims was that since the carbon emission reduction was accepted Australians wiould come to the point when nuclear plants become the only alternative. I don't see another option in the current situation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Peter Garret will be lovin it...
    There's plenty of documentation out there that discusses the advantages of nuclear energy Vs brown evergy and the verdict is they are both bad, however nuclear is the lesser of two evils.

Bring in Monty Burns I say!

Thanks

I dont know how much truth there is to the mining side of uranium etc, but maybe we should look at other means...the tailings dams alone could turn into a night mare - I see the leaks and effects rain causes to our Iron Ore Dam up here in the Pilbara, not easy to control.
    good point berlina, check this story from the other week

ranger uranium tailings dam leaking, got to wonder how responsible these miners are

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anyone View Post
    good point berlina, check this story from the other week

ranger uranium tailings dam leaking, got to wonder how responsible these miners are
    I worked in a Uranium mine for nine years. I have seen the size of tailings dams full on concentrated toxins acres and acres of the crap. But what else do you do with such large volumes of sludge waste. The water table is 100m down at that particular point. The dams are lined but the lining will not last forever.

The photo in this link shows the tailing dams - they are huge. Above the tailings dams is the process plant. The Area used by the process plant is dwarfed by the tailings dams. This mine has a projected life span of 200 years, it has been running around the 20 year mark. How big are these going to get. Bear in mind production ramps up every year and doubled about every 10 years mainly limited by the size of the process plant.

My view of uraniun mines and power stations is nuetral(leaning towards the pro side) Uranium is prob greener to use but is it greener to harvest.

Thanks

To everyone that wants one, if they are so safe, I guess you won't mind them being built next door to you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pokedad View Post
    To everyone that wants one, if they are so safe, I guess you won't mind them being built next door to you?
    This is so true. And also everyone who preffers coal burning electrostations can move closer to their pipes.
    This will solve all the issues with global warming caused by human race (as no human will remain on the planet to blame others).

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

If something goes wrong with a reactor it is a biggie.
    What bothers me most is that everybody has so much trust in technology lately.

We are told that modern technology is so much better than the old.
    Well, when I look around in general, everything seems to fail much quicker than it did some decades ago. Probably a long thread topic to discuss why but I believe that technology has become so complicated that a single person can not monitor all the functions in detail in a modern design and some flaws are more likely to slip through due to too many engineers or technicians needed to figure things out while misunderstanding each other.

Cost will always be the driving factor and to make things feasible, redundancy is compromised. All the more likely in the troubled times that lie ahead of us, that we are told about.

Every technical device will fail eventually... and like Aircraft disasters it is always an unusual coincidence of events nobody thought of before, although human error and misunderstanding can often be linked to the incident some way or the other.

Another problem is with the spent rods, getting in the wrong hands, etc.

Nevertheless if somebody offered me a job to participate in the construction of a reactor in my area, I would happily take it but I would be constantly fighting with the designers because I am too old school about redundancy and lack the static new school approach of seeing things only from a computer simulation point of view as that seems to be the only way they learnt it.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

[
    Last edited by aZz; 20-03-09 at 02:30 AM. Reason: lol

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast