Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: do you rate TPG?

Thanks

Another happy TPG customer over here. Been with them for about a year on the 150GB ADSL2+ plan.

I've never needed help so I don't know what their support is like.

Other than that, they're fantastic.

Speeds are wonderful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by berlinabydesign View Post
    What were the sweeteners?
    One bill, makes it easier to live with.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

I don't have the greatest knowledge for computers but I just signed up with TPG ADSL 2+ what a joke!

Tech support have no idea.

Speeds are shocking and constant dropouts.

Line of sight distance: 2156m. Possible cable distance: 2735m. from the exchange.

Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test
    ----------------------------------
    Test run on 03/06/2009 @ 09:13 PM

Mirror: TPG
    Data: 3 MB
    Test Time: 87.41 secs

Your line speed is 280 kbps (0.28 Mbps).
    Your download speed is 35 KB/s (0.03 MB/s).

What Speeds should I be getting with ADSL2+ ?
    Would appreciate some help

Thanks

TPG is good if you not having any problems.

customer service is absolutely shocking. but TPG is one of the most cheapest company. most value i'd say, more bang for your buck!

im with them at the moment on mobile and after a slight setback it's all been good so far

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_303 View Post
    I don't have the greatest knowledge for computers but I just signed up with TPG ADSL 2+ what a joke!

Tech support have no idea.

Speeds are shocking and constant dropouts.

Line of sight distance: 2156m. Possible cable distance: 2735m. from the exchange.

Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test
    ----------------------------------
    Test run on 03/06/2009 @ 09:13 PM

Mirror: TPG
    Data: 3 MB
    Test Time: 87.41 secs

Your line speed is 280 kbps (0.28 Mbps).
    Your download speed is 35 KB/s (0.03 MB/s).

What Speeds should I be getting with ADSL2+ ?
    Would appreciate some help
    Information regarding estimated ADSL2 speed here

And from a little way down the page at the Internode website at

Factors that may affect performance

While the speeds indicated on this graph show the theoretical maximum speed of the various ADSL protocols on good copper lines - with no bad joints, faulty insulation, or high speed 'interferers' (such as bridge taps or loading coils). Your actual achieved speed may vary substantially from these theoretical results, based on:

* the length of copper wire from your premises to the exchange - this is always higher than the distance 'as the crow flies'.
    * the number and type of other digital services being used by other customers over copper pairs within the same cable sheath.
    * the configuration and line quality of the copper wire pair between the exchange and your premises.
    * electrical interference from outside sources (such as electric motors).
    * the configuration of the copper wiring within your premises (ie use a central splitter for optimal performance).
    * the software configuration and application on your computer (in particular how it uses the uplink back to the exchange).
    * your ADSL hardware.
    * the capacity of, load on, and access data rate of the destination host computer which you are accessing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Information regarding estimated ADSL2 speed here

And from a little way down the page at the Internode website at

Factors that may affect performance

While the speeds indicated on this graph show the theoretical maximum speed of the various ADSL protocols on good copper lines - with no bad joints, faulty insulation, or high speed 'interferers' (such as bridge taps or loading coils). Your actual achieved speed may vary substantially from these theoretical results, based on:

* the length of copper wire from your premises to the exchange - this is always higher than the distance 'as the crow flies'.
    * the number and type of other digital services being used by other customers over copper pairs within the same cable sheath.
    * the configuration and line quality of the copper wire pair between the exchange and your premises.
    * electrical interference from outside sources (such as electric motors).
    * the configuration of the copper wiring within your premises (ie use a central splitter for optimal performance).
    * the software configuration and application on your computer (in particular how it uses the uplink back to the exchange).
    * your ADSL hardware.
    * the capacity of, load on, and access data rate of the destination host computer which you are accessing.

Thanks

But what do you think the minimum download speed is that i should be getting

Thanks

I'm 800m from my exchange, and I'm currently copying data all round my network and running a vista update on 2 pc's at once, so the results are a little slow.

TPG have been great for me. No complaints at all besides the off-shore support (which I haven't needed to use at all).

Thanks

I am thinking of going with them BUT i can only have adsl 1 in my area...I don't know how slow that will be but it sure beats the price...How slow will it be...Like dial up or something...

Thanks

I think my speed is , ok ?

[`[*Test Results from <a href="http://www.ozspeedtest.com">Oz Broadband Speed Test</a>*]`]
    [(----------------------------------
    Test run on [*22/06/2009*] @ [*12:29 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*TPG*]
    Data: [*15 MB*]
    Test Time: [*13.28 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*9.44 Mbps*] (9437 kbps).
    Your download speed is [*1.15 MB/s*] (1180 KB/s). )]

Thanks

Ive been with tpg for about 12 months now and im very happy with id recomend them, i think they have the best value ofr money the only down side is paying telstra for phone line rental

Thanks

Ive been with TPG for about 2 -3 yrs , currently on the $70 150gig plan . If your not a heavy gamer i highly suggest using TPG there quota plans are huge . Although i sometimes experience random disconnects constantly and other times not at all.

Thanks

The reason ISPs like Internode are more expensive is not primarily because of their better customer support, but because they provide enough infrastructure to ensure good service level even at peak demand times.

I'm horrified every time I see people comparing ISPs simply on basis of price, data rate and quota! That doesn't tell you anything about whether the quality will be maintained during peak times. The cheapies tend to overscribe their networks to buggery, which means they give fantastic performance at 10am weekdays when everyone's at work but dreadful latency around 5-8pm when all the kids are on YouTube. So be careful! Unhappy VoIP experiences aren't usually because people chose the wrong plan, but because they chose an ISP whose network is oversubscribed.

Be wary of locking into a contract with a low cost ISP unless you know someone in your neighbourhood who uses them with a similar heavy-duty plan and VoIP. By all means give them a try if you can churn after a few months without severe penalty if you find they're inadequate. But there's nothing worse than being trapped for 12 or 24 months with a phone service that keeps dropping out or has bad audio.

I have a mate in China who keeps trying to call me on a cheap VoIP service and although he can hear me fine I often can't hear him properly. Also it often takes him several calls to establish a connection. It's a piece of crap and I often end up hanging up, after telling him to call me back on a normal landline. I've been to his apartment overseas and his bandwidth is amazing, very fast downloads at times, and very cheap, so I can see why he uses it. The trouble is the upload rate varies a lot depending on time of day and how many other users are on the network, so it's not suitable for VoIP.

Thanks

good speed , good value , have been with them for almost 12 months now.

Thanks

When it comes to tech support, TPG suck at the best of times. I am had problems with two slave email accounts & the brain dead's at TPG have been telling me for two days the problem is at my end, well the other day I had enough with TPG and made them contact the post office server at TPG about the problem, after about 2 hours on the phone with TPG, TPG found a problem at it's mail server.......problem fixed, funny about that.

Thanks

do they have GOOD speed!
    TomTom GO 730|APP 9.022.457667.1|
    OS 438558|GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5256| Maps 840.2562

BB 9000 Package 4.6.0.477
    iPhone 3GS 32 GB

Do you know where is "THANKS" Button...

Thanks

speed is OK, when testing with a speed test it's about 10-12MB and when I was with bigpond it was about 13-18MB/sec. for now no drop outs which is good. But like I said the help desk is crap.

Thanks

Default Tpg

I cannot say enough about how terrible their service is. Drop outs, interference with phone line, Tech people who run out of ideas then hang up. Tech people with advice like "disconnect your phone when you use the internet" or "your line is not yet connected..my reply..I am speaking to you on it...no you are not". " If your wireless hub is less than a metre away you have a dead space". 6 hours later... no internet. I have used other providors and now know why they cost more....... you actually just plug in and use it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cask View Post
    I cannot say enough about how terrible their service is. Drop outs, interference with phone line, Tech people who run out of ideas then hang up. Tech people with advice like "disconnect your phone when you use the internet" or "your line is not yet connected..my reply..I am speaking to you on it...no you are not". " If your wireless hub is less than a metre away you have a dead space". 6 hours later... no internet. I have used other providors and now know why they cost more....... you actually just plug in and use it.
    Bulldust. Get IT help, pay them few dollars to set your internet properly.

Thanks

I've been with TPG for almost 15 years (originally started when dialup was all that was available!). I agree that their support area is a bit ordinary, but I honestly can't fault their connections with very few dropouts over that long time.

Cask - could it be a Telstra line issue or faulty equipment causing your problems.

Thanks

yes i'll be going to them as i can get unlimited plus line rental as a new customer for 69 atm i'm on a 120 gig plan peak off peak with netspace and most months i have to slow the downloading of movies ect but $69 is good
    speed is only the connection to the exchange/distance i get 10mbps
    Last edited by bluehilux; 31-08-12 at 05:17 AM.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast