Thread: Southern Cross TV moving ahead with HD

Thanks

Default Southern Cross TV moving ahead with HD

Gentlemen,

A press release:

Australian broadcaster Macquarie Southern Cross Media (MCSM) recently deployed a 140 HD-channel SeaChange play-to-air platform, representing one of the largest HD platforms in Australia.

MCSM installed SeaChange’s Broadcast MediaLibrary/MediaClient (BML/MCL) play-to-air platform, consisting of BML transmission storage severs and MCL software codecs, which when combined, provide the broadcaster with 60 ingest and playout channels for programming and 80 ingest and playout channels for commercials. The system is also supporting turnaround delay at MCSM.

Based in the nation’s capital of Canberra, MCSM delivers a wide range of programming to audiences in New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and the Northern Territory.

The BML/MCL’s ability to play back MCSM’s legacy SD Pinnacle Mediastream files was a critical factor in the broadcaster’s decision to choose the SeaChange platform. According to Craig Armsworth, group manager for systems & digital media at Magna Systems, which is serving as integrator on the project, “The SeaChange servers are the only ones on the market that can take an SD Pinnacle file directly and replay it back out as HD, thereby upconverting it. This was a particular advantage when we took part in the server ‘shoot out.’”

Regards,

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

that's good news. Was that supposed to come on line last year? SC10 is the only channel here that doesn't play HD content only the demo loop. I'm interested to know what they will do with their HD channel since 10 melb is launching it's HD channels as a sprorts channel.

Leroy

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

[QUOTE= “The SeaChange servers are the only ones on the market that can take an SD Pinnacle file directly and replay it back out as HD, thereby upconverting it. This was a particular advantage when we took part in the server ‘shoot out.’”

Regards,[/QUOTE]

Ok, Firstly we knew Canberra is the distribution point for all regional services East of the West Australian border so nothing new there.
    As I posted eleswhere, SC10's Orange office said they had spent $16 Million so now we know on what.
    But whats this part about 'Taking an SD Pinnacle file and replay it back as HD?
    Now reading between the pixels does this mean that SC10 will have the 3 channels as has been advertised in 'Freeview' with one SD channel carrying the same material as the HD channel ?
    On further reading, this is an El cheapo way of telling you its HD when in fact its sourced from possibly an upscaled analog or SD only program.

What the hell is that 'Server Shootout' all about, did companies line up and do a quickdraw knockout competition???
    My guess is that unless Southern Cross are intending to run as a standalone channel which I doubt very much, come Thursday 26 March 2009, SC10 will go 'ONESport' 'HD' and SD on 2 channels.
    The 'Other' SD channel I guess with carry the current programing like news,soapies and other shows.

Other than advertising which is now regionalised anyway, the same basic programs should be seen throughout the network.
    The only difference should be the time zone differences (DST & SA/NT) and DST finishes soon anyway.
    This time next week we should know it all !!!!!!!!!

PS, In a Big W catalog for SD stbs I saw on Thursday 19 advertised March 26th as the starting date for OneSport.
    What better confirmation can you get than a Big W catalog???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,075 Times in 6,766 Posts

Gordon,

My understanding is that the new HD encoder will enable HD playout for all SC10 areas. Many areas don't have SC10 HD yet.

Yes, TV networks usually trial equipment from various suppliers before making a decision on which equipment best suits their needs (and budget).

They will only have one HD channel and probably two SD channels.

The Pinnacle server can feed any channel with an SD 'file' (stored program & commercial content) and in the case of the HD channel, either true HD or upconverted SD.

Thanks

WTF has this got to do with Satellite TV General? shouldnt it be in Digital Terrestrial Television?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Stolen from

ONE HD: SC10 & Foxtel ‘fess up

* By David Knox on March 15, 2009
    * Filed Under News

onehdidUPDATED: ONE may be launching next week to city viewers but regional television viewers will be waiting until mid year to see the new 24hr sports channel on Southern Cross Television.

Greg Dodgson, Chief Operating Officer for Macquarie Southern Cross Media, told TV Tonight the delay was caused by extensive changes to upgrade its facilities to 23 markets.

“We still haven’t built our infrastructure and we’re still testing to be able to carry it across all the sub-markets and towns in our broadcast footprint,” he said.

“We’re committed to carrying ONE but we’re still in a testing phase. And we’re still building to be able to put it across the 23 markets that we’re going to carry it in.

“It’s likely to be the middle of the year, which is not far away.”

So far some Southern Cross viewers are seeing high definition testing pictures.

“What you’re getting on the HD service is pretty pictures from around the country. It’s what we call a loop tape. That’s our programming that we’re putting out the moment because we’re building the infrastructure and testing to carry ONE.”

But not all regional viewers (ie. Central Australia) will wind up getting ONE because government regulation only requires the HD signal in specific markets.

“There’s not a requirement to broadcast in HD in those areas and you can appreciate the cost involved in broadcasting. We’re not going to put it any further afield then we’ve got to,” he conceded.

TV Tonight has made available maps of four key regional markets: in Queensland(Aggregate market A), Northern NSW (Aggregate market B), Southern NSW (Aggregate market C) and Victoria (Aggregate market D). Tasmania and Darwin maps were not supplied.

In tight economic times Dodgson concedes the arrival of ONE is a taxing challenge.

“The metros (TEN) have only got to put out in 5 markets. This takes my Playout Centre that I look after from 35 to 63 Channels. There’s nothing like it in the rest of Australia. It’s just substantial.”

SC 10 says when the time comes it will be promoting the start date on-air and in its regular program guides.

Meanwhile Foxtel, which no doubt views a 24 hour sports channel as direct competition, says the onus on adding extra channels is dependent on channels covering the costs of adding to satellite capacity. Each network has separate retransmission deals.

Foxtel cable viewers who have the IQ2 and currently receive TEN HD will be able to access ONE HD.

Until an extra satellite is launched later this year, satellite viewers in other cities will be kept waiting.

“Currently Foxtel cable subscribers have access to all FTA standard definition and FTA HD channels via Foxtel, including TEN SD and TEN HD,” said a Foxtel spokesperson. “Any additional channels launched by the FTA channels will be available to cable customers subject to each channel’s retransmission agreement.”

Until an agreement is reached over costs, the standard digital version of ONE will not be available to Foxtel viewers either.

“In relation to satellite Foxtel customers, Optus will be launching a new satellite later this year - providing additional capacity - and we may retransmit the additional Channel TEN channels subject to Channel TEN agreeing to cover the cost of obtaining the satellite capacity to retransmit its new channels.”

UPDATED 16 March: Greg Dodgson has qualified statements made in relation to SC10 owned markets (Aggregate Markets A, B, C, D) over markets that are shared with other companies (including Tasmania and Darwin). Contrary to earlier information there is a requirement to broadcast HD into Tasmania and Darwin, however they are not fully owned SC10 stations. This means Tasmanian and Darwin viewers WILL get ONE in HD on SC10 at the same time as other markets.

“I’m confident they’ll get them in the middle of the year like other viewers but we don’t fully own that signal,” said Dodgson.

SC10 also has no plans for its secondary digital channel.

“When we broadcast ONE HD in the middle of the year it will come out as HD. But we don’t have any plans yet with our SD2 channel.”

TV Tonight apologises for any confusion (particularly for Tassie & Darwin viewers!) in the ever-changing landscape that is digital television! Please note in order to avoid further confusion, previous comments relating to these markets will be deleted.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

I didn't realise that foxtel cable retransmit the HD channels of the fta stations as well. Is this the case for all the fta channels?

Leroy

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV,
    I may have worded my comments a little badly but I meant that in line with the 3 digital programs per channel, 10 would have ONE HD,an SD copy of that and one SD channel carrying their normal programing.

This is how I have interperated the various reports that have appeared in the press.

Premium Member

Thanks

I guess by this time of day, 1855,(6.55PM) Thursday 26 March 2009 that Southern Cross Media have lived up to their posted above comments of NOT showing ONEHD at this time.
    Furhter I think Southern Cross Media should be congradulated for being so thorough in their testing, fiddling and dallying around for over 3 years to ensure regional Australia is again left out of the changeover as it is being enjoyed by the metropolitan areas.
    To allow those areas already capable of receiving ONEHD being broadcast now and bringing other areas online as they are upgraded would be totaly uinthinkable. I shudder to think of my termerity of even thinking such thoughts.
    But then, when has regional Australia ever been considered except as a convenient place to holiday or grow the food the metropolitan areas depend on?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    MTV,
    I may have worded my comments a little badly but I meant that in line with the 3 digital programs per channel, 10 would have ONE HD,an SD copy of that and one SD channel carrying their normal programing.

This is how I have interperated the various reports that have appeared in the press.
    Gordon,

SC10 will have two SD channels (both simulcast) no plans yet for separate programming on the second SD channel, and ONE HD, which will be a full relay of the Network TEN 24 hr sports channel. There will be no SD version of the HD channel.

Also, the latest info I have is that SC10 expects to have ONE HD to be operating by the end of July this year... subject to change of course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I didn't realise that foxtel cable retransmit the HD channels of the fta stations as well. Is this the case for all the fta channels?

Leroy
    yep, currently

202 = ABC HD
    207 = Seven HD
    209 = Nine HD
    210 = One HD
    228 = SBS HD

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    But then, when has regional Australia ever been considered except as a convenient place to holiday or grow the food the metropolitan areas depend on?
    Oh how right you are...well said.
    Score unchanged...City 1 Bush 0

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV, I reread the release by David Knox (Southern Cross Media) as posted saying that THEY have no plans for the 2nd SD channel, but one announcer on 10 during the News segment said that there would be the HD channel with a similcast on the SD channel.
    He wasnt reading from a script but more of an off the cuff comment after the main announcement of the then forthcomming service.
    So based on his comments, I just guessed the other SD channel would be used for the current daily programming.
    Now whether he was speaking for the metropolitan coverage or he misunderstood the proposal I have no idea but thats what he said.
    I did think it was strange to have both when you are trying to sell a service.
    If ONEHD was on SD as well, why buy a HD set or STB even though prices now are closer?

Administrator
    Thanks

Gordon,

What.... a journalist getting something wrong?...... like that would never happen

Premium Member

Thanks

A journalist?? Perish the thought !!!
    But no MTV, this was one of them sports commentators who waffle on but they too probabaly have the same credo as a journalist in 'Never letting the Facts get in the Way of a Good Story'.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Oh how right you are...well said.
    Score unchanged...City 1 Bush 0
    Hope it is incorrect, but have been informed TEN will be transmitting the 20/20 IPL Cricket Comp only on their new ONE Sport Channel -

Again too bad for the bush

The IPL starts on April 18

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earlsdon View Post
    Hope it is incorrect, but have been informed TEN will be transmitting the 20/20 IPL Cricket Comp only on their new ONE Sport Channel -

Again too bad for the bush

The IPL starts on April 18
    The F1 finished yesterday at 7pm and SC10 didn't show the post race interviews etc because they were on TEN 'ONE' HD. Ten Melb was still advertising there was still half hour to go but you could only get it on ONE.
    I just thought it's like watching the usually GP coverage.

On another note I hope that with BBC picking up the television rights from ITV that the feed will still be available on Palapa C2. I pointed my dish there last week.

Leroy

Premium Member

Thanks

Default Comming SOOOOON!!!

While enduring an episode of Neighbors so we could see what Andre Reus must have been paid squillions for, almost at the end of the show, a spot add with the ONEHD logo evolved on the screen followed by the words that ONEHD was Comming Soon on Southern Cross Media.
    No blarring of trumpets of massed choirs, just the add.
    My area of Southern Cross covers the Central West of NSW.