Thread: tv reception problems in illawarra

Thanks

Default tv reception problems in illawarra

Hi all,

A mate of mine lives in the Illawarra and the pole which the tv aerial is mounted is around 15 meters high. Lately, he’s lost tv reception so I guess the only thing is to replace the aerial and rewire the tv connection points. I’d say its more than likely the terminal connection block on the aerial.

My question is how the hell do I get that high to replace the aerial? Can I put a high quality aerial up which isn’t as high as the other one?

Any help appreciated.
    Slick1

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

The only safe method of reaching the antenna and to lower/raise the mast is to use an elevated work platform (cherrypicker) or a crane with a cage.

I'm assuming it's a guyed telescopic mast. All the guy wires must be loosened and the mast sections lifted and the locating pins removed.

This is a very complex and dangerous exercise if you are not skilled in this type of work.

If the mast has been there for some time, the collars, pins and bolts may have rust and/or corrosion and may be seized.

Many old masts have collapsed, causing damage and injury (including to neighbouring properties) when they are disturbed, if not handled correctly.

Is the antenna for Sydney or Knights Hill reception? (I'm guessing Sydney at that height).

It's possible that a new antenna for digital will work if mounted lower down, or possibly in a different location to the existing mast.

The only way to know for sure is to have a site test conducted to measure what signal levels and quality are available at the location to determine what antenna, mounting location and any other equipment thats required.

An antenna for Illawarra channels (Knights Hill) is much smaller than one for Sydney, as it's UHF-only and probably won't require a tall mast, depending on the topographical location of course.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply there mtv. THe antenna is facing knights hill. Unless i get a EWP, there is no chance of getting up to that height.

what antenna would be a good one for digital tv so it can be mounted lower down.

His aerial is that high because of where he lives;. He lives in coniston near the train station. i might try a good quality antenna and run a new cable to see if it works. Any suggestions about the antenna? something good to work with low signal.

Thanks
    Slick1

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Slick1,

I'd go for a UHF phased array antenna, like the Fracarro PU4A, Hills Hunter, or similar.

Apart from the Knights Hill TX, he could also try for the Brokers Nose translators, which would only be about 8km from Coniston and possibly less obscured from his location.