Thread: Hmmm...so now the burglars are protected...

Thanks

Default Hmmm...so now the burglars are protected...

Home owner shoots alleged intruder

A 52-YEAR-OLD man from Adelaide's northern suburbs has been charged after shooting a man who was allegedly trying to break into his home in the early hours of this morning.

Police said the incident occurred in Eversley Avenue at Enfield about 2.40am (CDT) when the homeowner confronted a man allegedly breaking into his home via the back door.

The alleged intruder was shot in the lower part of his body and is in Royal Adelaide Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The homeowner was this morning charged with aggravated cause serious harm and firearms offences and has been bailed to appear in court at a later date.

The 31-year-old from north-suburban Ingle Farm who was shot remains in hospital and police said he was likely to face charges in relation to serious criminal trespass

Look Here ->
    Thanks

GOOD!
    He will be thinking twice before breaking and entering in the future.
    I noted the fact that the home owner shot him in the lower body.
    I bet hes a member of the 'sporting shooters assosiation of Australia".
    His defence will be that if hed wanted to kill him he would have shot him in the upper body.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

they have been for a long time now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    they have been for a long time now.
    That "sucks"

Ever since some unfortunate instances where some nut cases had run wild, killing innocent people, the gun laws and gun buy back, has resulted in law abiding people who kept a gun for safety purposes having to hand them back for destruction.

The biggest trouble makers, the crims, held onto them, pushing the balance of power in their direction.

An intruder tries to break into your property and you can only use equal and opposite force?

Do you wait to see what hes capable of, if he has a gun or knife, or do you run for your life, chances of him being caught arnt that good anyway.

I think this home owner did the right thing, his life was in danger, he stopped the intruder without killing him.

The law stinks in this area, you should be able to defend yourself, by whatever means, in your own property.

When breaking into your home the crims know what their getting into, they should have no defence in court.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

The joke is that the victim of the crime will probably get a tougher time through the courts than the burglar.

Thanks

couple of tips

When shooting (or beating the crap outta someone), shoot to STOP them, not kill them.
    If however you kill them, make sure they are in your home with a weapon in hand

make sure yo DO NOT shoot them in the back, as as they are not facing you they are not a threat (much akin to attacking them as they are leaving.
    As theyre considered no longer a threat, YOU are in alot more shit by "chasing" them down

Remember, you beat the shit out them just enough to STOP them
    Key words.. be very aware of how this issue is approached as it could mean time served vs a slap on the wrist

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    couple of tips

When shooting (or beating the crap outta someone), shoot to STOP them, not kill them.
    If however you kill them, make sure they are in your home with a weapon in hand

make sure yo DO NOT shoot them in the back, as as they are not facing you they are not a threat (much akin to attacking them as they are leaving.
    As theyre considered no longer a threat, YOU are in alot more shit by "chasing" them down

Remember, you beat the shit out them just enough to STOP them
    Key words.. be very aware of how this issue is approached as it could mean time served vs a slap on the wrist
    And while waiting for the police to arrive lay a few more in for good measure.
    @Padre, yourve got the right idea

Thanks

yes its a ridiculous situation but if confronted areas to aim at

hips / knees / ankles / elbows / wrists

these areas will disable them as well as never healing properly and leaving them with a lasting reminder

Thanks

The homeowner will get off, they always do in SA courts. Especially if there is a media circus around it like there usually is.

Thanks

I dunno about this, is it cheaper to just pay for a funeral - or pay for a lifetime of bodily repairs and the "continuing medical problems, loss of future earnings, decreased sexual libido" etc., usual compensation trip ?

I heard once "fire a warning shot, then one in the floor".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulbous View Post
    I heard once "fire a warning shot, then one in the floor".
    I dont think anyone should have a gun in their home anyway but I kinda like your thinking bulbous.lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    I dont think anyone should have a gun in their home anyway but I kinda like your thinking bulbous.lol
    It was a country policeman who made that "off the cuff" statement.

You are correct - it should not be legal to have a loaded firearm in a house.

The Firearms Act for South Australia states the following :-
    ================================================== ==

Storing category A and B firearms:

1. Category A and B firearms and/or receivers may be secured by either:
    1. Securely attaching and locking them to part of the building in which it is kept.
    2. Keeping them in a locked cabinet made of hardwood or steel that is securely attached to the building in which it is kept.
    3. Keeping them in a locked safe made of steel that is securely attached to the building in which it is kept.
    4. Keeping them in a locked steel and concrete strongroom.
    5. Other methods of securing firearms may be used if approved by the Registrar.

Storing category C, D and H firearms

1. Category C, D and H firearms must be secured by:
    1. Keeping the firearms in a locked safe made of steel that is securely attached to the building in which it is kept.
    2. Keeping the firearms in a locked steel and concrete strong room.
    3. Other methods of securing firearms may be used if approved by the Registrar.

Cabinets for either A, B, C, D or H firearms must be:

1. Fitted with fittings and locks that prevent it from being easily forced open.
    2. Made of material of sufficient thickness to prevent it from being easily broken, opened or destroyed.
    3. Despite the regulations for these firearms mentioned previously, a safe need not be attached to the building if its mass is 150kg or more when empty.

Transporting firearms and ammunition

1. When a firearm or ammunition is not secured as required by the normal security requirements, the holder of the licence must take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the firearm or ammunition is not lost or stolen or does not come into the possession of an unauthorised person.

This information was sourced from the South Australian Police website.

================================================== =====

This is supposed to make it harder for "hot-heads" to easily produce a loaded firearm as a response to a perceived threat etc., and of course to minimise the likelihood of theft.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by global88 View Post
    The biggest trouble makers, the crims, held onto them, pushing the balance of power in their direction.

An intruder tries to break into your property and you can only use equal and opposite force?
    just a quick note, it is actually worded "percived force" so therefore the bugger coming through ther back door said "i'll shoot you", therefore you percive he has a gun and willing to use it, so you shoot him in the head

myself i'm not bad at marshal arts and would have no problem about reducing an intruder to a broken mess and wait for the cops to arrive

(if you would like a list of different disiplines i've studied over the last 35 years i'll send you a list)
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

In the Navy, anyone caught stealing would find himself "falling up" some ladders on the way to be reported.

I belive that he will get off because there will be such an hue & cry about defending your property. I hope he does get off.
    Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

Thanks

Problem with shooting to stop them is that it creates two sides of the story at a later stage.
    Shoot to kill, leaves your story and only your story of what really happened....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shagga66 View Post
    Problem with shooting to stop them is that it creates two sides of the story at a later stage.
    Shoot to kill, leaves your story and only your story of what really happened....
    This is what the copper meant ! ....but the neighbours need to hear 2 shots.

Thanks

SA made self defence laws easier, but with firearms because the firearm & ammo are locked up in different containers it then becomes premeditated if a firearm is used in self defence