View Poll Results: Is the CCTV industry sufficiently skilled to support IP video?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 33.33%
  • No

6 66.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IP video skills set

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CCTVguru View Post
    We are not in a recession as yet.
    LOL - that is so funny. I'll bet your house is still going up in value too.

From what I've heard, it's just arrived in Oz and NZ and being at the top end your company will be one of the first to feel it. Your associates back in the UK will be feeling it a little bit already and will probably suffer a lot more than you will down under. Even so, you better brace yourself for a tough couple of years - assuming you last that long.

If you are feeling the pinch maybe move away from the $100 camera market and get in to a high level solution.
    Whether a camera costs $100 or $1000 - we don't care. We provide an IP camera monitoring platform for Monitoring Centers worldwide, so some of our customers are in recession and some aren't. Although our major customers in the US have been feeling the pinch for a good two years now, they will be the first to appear out the other end.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    As you will know only too well, all we need is for the recession to end so that companies will have the cash necessary to start their migration to IP
    What do you mean Steve? We have plenty of companies already moving over to IP, I'm sure Tim's sales record will prove that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    What do you mean Steve? We have plenty of companies already moving over to IP, I'm sure Tim's sales record will prove that.
    I know, I know - I had my non-Australian head on and forgot that the recession hasn't arrived there yet

Thanks

I know, I know - I had my non-Australian head on and forgot that the recession hasn't arrived there yet
    Recession is irrelevant, as I have mentioned a good IP CCTV solution is cheaper than traditional analogue solutions on a $ per pixel ratio.

I don't have customers asking me for the cheapest cameras on the market, my main question in regards to CCTV is "CAN YOU ZOOM IN ON THEIR FACE?".

Megapixel IP is the only technology customers are wanting these days, after all forensic evidence is what the true outcome of any CCTV is. Not price.

Thanks

George,

How do I get you to be one of my partners?
    Tim Norton

Thanks

Recession is irrelevant
    OMG - are they blocking world news in Australia now ?

Just seven months ago everything was rosy for General Motors, AIG and Citi Bank too.

Maybe everyone should stop calling it the world recession and start calling it the "outside of Australia" recession.

We should all agree to re-visit this thread in 3 months from now - just for a laugh

as I have mentioned a good IP CCTV solution is cheaper than traditional analogue solutions on a $ per pixel ratio.
    I fully understand that, but if your customers don't have any money - none of it matters.
    Last edited by IPAlarms; 28-03-09 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

When you choose to quote me Steve, at least quote the context of the statement instead of chopping what you want.

Let's get this back on topic.

Thanks

Give me a call to discuss fixing it .
    I'll pm rather than side track thread.

Thanks

Indigovision, dude i went to your website. Not one iota of information explaining what the product is and how it works.... useless.

I would like a simple user friendly internet webbased video surveilance system for home & small business owners to use to keep an eye on their property without mega expense.
    The equipment out there is clunky and not easy to use, they are straight out of China & come with just as impressive (sh!t) instructions and support.
    As for IP based systems, Ok if you are hotel chain with a mega budget.

Thanks

Anyone worry about price & costs should point out to clients that as times get tougher for some folks, then more desperate people are willing to take risks to exploit weaknesses in their business.

Thanks

Mate,
    My solution is very user friendly but sounds like it is out of your price range.

You could buy a cheap Axis or Panasonic and send it to an FPT server as a recorder but if you want a user friendly system, you will need to spend some money
    Tim Norton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mate View Post
    You can go to Dick Smith and purchase an IP surveillance kit for under $1000.00.

Since when do you have to be a hotel chain to use IP products? You get what you pay for, you want quality you pay the $$$.

People are forgetting the fact that IP is just the transport layer for data transmission, and at the end of the day it is cheaper to deploy than traditional means of video transmission.

Thanks

I would like a simple user friendly internet webbased video surveilance system for home & small business owners to use to keep an eye on their property without mega expense.
    You and millions of others. There are now a small number of serious offerings for this huge market and we are all rolling out across North America. There are also good solutions on offer in other countries but there is very little uptake at this time.

Due to recent disturbing developments in Australia, IP Alarms have decided to make available their Virtual Monitoring Platform available direct to end users. The CMS's and bureaus do not seem interested in stimulating this market, so we have decided to do it ourselves. We have not yet announced pricing but will release it soon from our Aussie web site at

The equipment out there is clunky and not easy to use, they are straight out of China & come with just as impressive (sh!t) instructions and support.
    I am 4 years into sourcing IP cameras. EVERYTHING that comes out of China is sh!te.

The Panasonic BL Range is hard to beat for small business/residential applications, however, a company from Taiwan is behind the majority of branded cameras being used by the main industry solutions providers at the moment. They are of good quality and we are planning to ship them into Australia as soon as there is a reasonable demand. They will be around the US$100 mark - whatever that may be worth in Aussie $'s at the time is anyones guess

Thanks

They will be around the US$100 mark - whatever that may be worth in Aussie $'s at the time is anyones guess
    The crap going for US$100 in the IP range, I can guarantee, is 1/4" CMOS with 420TVL resolution. Who you kidding Steve? We have been importing both Taiwanese and Korean camera ranges over the last 10yrs and something you are offering to the end user for US$100 is worth US$50 from the suppliers. But thanks for the heads up, all we need is another fly-by operator importing crap to the Australian market.

Thanks

Due to recent disturbing developments in Australia, IP Alarms have decided to make available their Virtual Monitoring Platform available direct to end users. The CMS's and bureaus do not seem interested in stimulating this market, so we have decided to do it ourselves. We have not yet announced pricing but will release it soon from our Aussie web site at
    Ha, what a joke.

What disturbing developments are you refering to?

I'm surprised you don't have a red bulls eye on your back after the comments that you have made about the aussie security industry and the people that work in it. And you wonder why people here wont give a go.

I'm sure once you start to try and sell your wares here some people will remember your kind comments and repay you with the help that you will deserve.

Just to jog your memmory

"Compare that with the security industry...

1. They are lazy, corrupt and disorganised
    2. They will try to rip the customer for every cent they can
    3. PSTN and all things analogue rule "

I guess it's how you win friends and influence people with sensational statements like those.

Thanks

The crap going for US$100 in the IP range, I can guarantee, is 1/4" CMOS with 420TVL resolution. Who you kidding Steve? We have been importing both Taiwanese and Korean camera ranges over the last 10yrs and something you are offering to the end user for US$100 is worth US$50 from the suppliers. But thanks for the heads up, all we need is another fly-by operator importing crap to the Australian market.
    Well put George.

Arn't you all glad that we have this expert "Nutcase" giving us dumb rednecks all of this valuable advise. Without it i am sure that my business would of gone under by now and i proberbly would be on the run and ended up living in Thailand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bss904 View Post
    Well put George.

Arn't you all glad that we have this expert "Nutcase" giving us dumb rednecks all of this valuable advise. Without it i am sure that my business would of gone under by now and i proberbly would be on the run and ended up living in Thailand.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Thanks

The crap going for US$100 in the IP range, I can guarantee, is 1/4" CMOS with 420TVL resolution. Who you kidding Steve?
    George, I am only letting you know what the vast majority of companies in the US are promoting right now as this is a good indicator of what will arrive in Australia 3 or 4 years from now.

The ones I am referring to are made by Panasonic and Sercomm (branded as Linksys). My opinion, and that of many others is that they are not crap. They have been designed to do a specific job for a specific sector of the market and the companies promoting them are very respected within the security industry.

It is obviously a market of which you have no knowledge or understanding - hence you brush it aside as being crap.

CMOS and TVL mean absolutely nothing to your average home and small business owner.

We have been importing both Taiwanese and Korean camera ranges over the last 10yrs and something you are offering to the end user for US$100 is worth US$50 from the suppliers.
    Not quite - but reasonably close. Just a reminder here that there's no point arguing about two completely different ends of the market that have almost nothing in common. Your market is concerned more with image quality and my market is concerned more with cost.

But thanks for the heads up, all we need is another fly-by operator importing crap to the Australian market.
    Panasonic and Cisco could hardly be considered as fly-by. Let me explain why I may consider importing them with a local partner into Australia......

Any innovator of new technology needs to create market awareness. That is what IP Alarms (more accurately their Australian partners) will need to do in order to bring video monitoring to the average man in the street.

My business, and most others in the monitoring industry are based around the recurring revenue model, so we do not need to make money on the sale of hardware. Linksys on the other hand ONLY make money on the sale of hardware and that is why they have to charge AU$300+ for cameras that cost sub AU$100 at source.

We can create as much awareness as we like for our solution, but your average home owner will not pay out AU$1200 to add 4 Linksys cameras to their security system. I know from experience that in order for our solution to be affordable we need to get the camera cost down around the AU$150 mark.

If it means that it costs AU$150 to get the cameras to the customer and they sell for AU$150 as part of a monitoring solution - so be it.

George, I fully respect that you know the high end CCTV market very well and you are obviously a very technical guy. It is also clear that you have no understanding what I am trying to do with both our Linksys Alarm Monitoring Solution and Virtual Monitoring Platform in Australia.

My approach is based on what I have learned from my partners in the USA who have a vast wealth of experience in succesful marketing to the security industry. We already have in excess of 3,600 bureas and inside access to their 700,000 client base. The only reason our US business is not substantially larger at this stage is that I ordered my partner to cease taking new business some time ago to avoid being overwhelmed.

I like to think I have done something right in my approach over the last 6 years and I would very much like to build on this for the Australian market. I am absolutely no threat to your company and your 100+ camera installation market, so I don't know why you are accusing me of being a fly-by.

I understand from recent events that you are being fead some "dodgy" information by others, so I will put it down to that and leave it be

Thanks

What disturbing developments are you refering to?
    Nothing out of the ordinary for what goes on in the industry - don't worry yourself.

Just to jog your memmory
    My memMory is fine Thanks. I am referring to pricks like you.

Thanks

It is obviously a market of which you have no knowledge or understanding - hence you brush it aside as being crap.

CMOS and TVL mean absolutely nothing to your average home and small business owner.
    I have an exceptional knowledge of the market Steve, while you have spent the last 6 years in a cave trying to think of ways to take over the IP world, we the lazy ones have been pulling out cheap systems that have been installed by people like you who angle their sales based purely on cost.

TVL means everything to home and small business owners. I don't know where you have been Steve, but they're catching onto the resolution aspect now. How many times have you heard... "Can you zoom in on his face?" or "Why does the image look good on the screen but when I play back its poor quality?"

Your market is concerned more with image quality and my market is concerned more with cost.
    And my market includes homeowners, small business operators right through to government institutions. All the customers I service in relation to CCTV require image quality. I have had so many customers insist on a solution that helps provide sufficient evidence to identify criminals. Price is no object for TRUE peace of mind.

It is also clear that you have no understanding what I am trying to do with both our Linksys Alarm Monitoring Solution and Virtual Monitoring Platform in Australia.
    I understand clearly, but just like the other products on the market that are available ALREADY, they prove quite useless in apprehending the culprits involved due to lack of image quality. As I have already pointed out, the average consumer is aware of this.

The only reason our US business is not substantially larger at this stage is that I ordered my partner to cease taking new business some time ago to avoid being overwhelmed.
    Or the fact that you haven't managed to backstab him yet as you have done to a member of this forum.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast