Thread: VPN on server not working over internet

Thanks

Cool VPN on server not working over internet

hi guys hope this is the right form to put this in but i just setup VPN on my server that's running server 2003 to cut a long story short i cant connect to the VPN over the internet it will work on my computers at home i mean like not over the net but just over the network but i tire to connect to it at my mates house over the internet and it dosnt work..so is there anything im doing wrong? thanks.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by server man View Post
    hi guys hope this is the right form to put this in but i just setup VPN on my server that's running server 2003 to cut a long story short i cant connect to the VPN over the internet it will work on my computers at home i mean like not over the net but just over the network but i tire to connect to it at my mates house over the internet and it dosnt work..so is there anything im doing wrong? thanks.
    Just a few pointers.

1) You need Port 1723 (PPTP) and GRE 43 opened for incoming and Port Forwarded to the IP of your internal server on you modem/router. What Modem/Router do you have?

Most modem/routers allow you to setup PPTP passthru to an IP address. This actually configures 1723 and GRE 43 port forwarding for you.

2) The server has to have Routing and Remote Access setup, or, you can setup an INCOMING CONNECTIONS, setup under NETWORK CONNECTIONS, New Connection Wizard.

Robert

Thanks

hey mate thanks for the reply my adsl modem is a 2 wire 2071-A gateway modem in the advanced settings in the home network on the modem i can change the private network so the ip of my modem and the dhcp then under that there is a thing called Public Routed Subinterface then under that there is Public Proxied Subnet (NAT/Routed) so what one would i use for the VPN IP thanks again

Thanks

Going by what 2wire FAQ states, you just need to do this:

1.Web to your modem
    2.Click the Firewall tab.
    3.Click Firewall Settings.
    4.Enter your 2Wire system password to reach the Advanced Settings page, if prompted.
    5.Select the computer that will function as the VPN server.
    6.Select the PPTP server in the left column.
    7.Click Add.
    8.Click Done.

Rob

Thanks

hi RB0135 thanks for your help mate vpn all up and working my modem changed the ip on my server to the internet ip and all working now only thing that's wrong is now because vpn is working so how i cant get into my computers on my network keeps saying i haven't got the right permissions for this network resource this is when vpn is turned off or on but will have to see if it fixes its self thanks again mate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by server man View Post
    my modem changed the ip on my server to the internet ip
    If thats what i think it is (DMZ), you want to be careful, this means the whole server is sitting out on the internet,
    you need only forward the ports needed and keep your server behind the firewall with a static internal ip (this may be
    why you cant connect in your lan.)

Thanks

Yes, I agree.

You have now opened up your server as in a DMZ and that will lead to nearly every attack possible from the Net.

And of course, wont let your internal network clients to connect.

You need to set your internal IP addresses (including the server) with something like 192.168.0.x or similar. The Default gateway should be the IP address of the LAN of the Router (eg. 192.168.0.1). The WAN port on the router should be the only connection on the network with the EXTERNAL IP address.

Then, you should follow my previous post on how to set the firewall on the router to pass thru the PPTP (VPN) ports to the internal server.

Rob

Thanks

also, i would turn off dhcp on the router and set it up on the server
    not sure how your VPN is working without the server giving the ip's

cheers

Thanks

thanks guys for all your help did what yous said and now the server has changed its ip address to what my dsl modem normally gives when you plug a computer into it but the only problem im having remotely is when i trie and connect to my server i get this error message

TCP/IP reported error 733:A connection to the remote computer could not be completed.you might need to adjust the protocols on this computer.

so guys what do i need to adjust to fix this thanks guys