Thread: Knowing

Thanks

Default Knowing

Knowing is an odd film and a dangerous one for Aussie director, Alex Proyas. Rooting his film in reality and then sliding increasingly towards the supernatural, the trick here is to maintain story plausibility and, more importantly, a credible conclusion. Proyas has previously proven to be adept at pure fantasy (The Crow, Dark City) and stark reality (Garage Days) but can he succeed in mixing the two? The answer is an emphatic "yes" for although the conclusion of Knowing sounds a little ridiculous if you say it out loud, Proyas notches his film from the real to the unreal in increments small enough to prevent us from throwing up our hands and crying, "this is bullshit!". Of course, this is also the magic of story telling and it is to Proyas' credit that we buy it wholesale.

The film represents an outstanding technical accomplishment which, arguably, is merely par for the course for Proyas - the premature death of of his star never stopped him from finishing The Crow and his mastery of technical wizardry was on full display in both Dark City and I, Robot. In Knowing, the brilliantly staged, wince-inducing disaster sequences tragically and effectively drive home the full impact of the senseless destruction of human life during a catastrophic event. The film may be a slow burner but when something happens, boy does it happen!

Knowing has much in common with the recent remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still except there's no Keanu to save the day here, Proyas takes us down a much braver and nihilistic path. The film also has similarities to Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain with its themes of loss and the afterlife though because the story is initially deceptive in it's intent, this is not immediately apparent. And although Proyas shoots for similarly lofty goals, it's implementation is simply not as elegant as Aronofsky's film. Of course, Nic Cage is no Hugh Jackman either, even if the film does play to the strengths of Cage's limited acting range.

However, being somewhat less than Aronofsky's magnum opus is barely a fault and taken on it's own terms, Knowing is a consummate cinematic achievement.

8 out of 10.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Mainly filmed in Melb down at dockland studio
    The movie is slow, but the plane and train action scenes are great, the sound is really pumping

Thanks

the ending suxed for me, not impressed with end lol hey that just me someone else may like it

Tagg

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    the ending suxed for me, not impressed with end lol hey that just me someone else may like it

Tagg
    My son said it was really weak and warned me not to bother with it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post

Tagg
    Yes I wasnt that impressed with the ending, but the best thing was that I didnt expect it to end that way at all, so 10 points for being unpredictable.

Dont really get into sci-fi but enjoyed the movie none the less.

Thanks

i thought it was very well done

cheers
    conor

Thanks

Some scenes shot inside the Melbourne Synchrotron too…

Thanks

This film would have been even better if casting had of given me part when I auditioned

but I quite enjoyed
    Democracy & Ignorance = A Winning Combination