Thread: HQ Ute/1 tonner

Banned
    Thanks

Cool HQ Ute/1 tonner

If anyone has an original holden manual for the above - I'm trying to find the specified front suspension travel. Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Umm from the car jacked up and the wheel hanging down from the shockers limit to the bump stops.

Funny thing, i dont have the manual your after but have never seen the suspension travel distance mentioned in any manual, Holden or other.

Ive normally had to work it out.

How low do you want to go?

(Cut the bump stops and fit a shorter shocker should have you sparking as you drive down the road)

Air suspension is a good adjustable alternative if this is what your thinking about.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

I'm sure the GMH w/shop manual used to give the bumpstop clearance. Engineer says bumpstop clearance + bumpstop height = travel. Can lower it 1/3 of travel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    I'm sure the GMH w/shop manual used to give the bumpstop clearance. Engineer says bumpstop clearance + bumpstop height = travel. Can lower it 1/3 of travel.
    Yep can lower 1/3 of travel, sounds right (from the RTA).

Yes i have seen a bump stop distance listed in the Holden manuals (not the full suspension travel) but im unsure about bumpstop clearance + bumpstop height = travel though.

Never heard of that one.

Send Intelligeorge a pm, i think he is building one up now, he might have the factory distance from the arm to the bump stop.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

God - turns out he's not doing a chop , just thinking on how he would do it if he was. What he is doing is putting in Monaro doors which will mean modifying the pillars and a monaro w/screen which will mean cutting the glass somewhere. He seems to have it all worked out in his head but frankly I'm a bit lost as to what he is doing.

Thanks

This is from the HQ comercial vehicle supplement Vol 6. Front Spring height checking dimension [bumper to frame] Standard 2.44 +- .25 in. with Air con 2.84 +- .25 in. This is for Utes PVans & Cab Chassis . Hope this helps
    Last edited by blackpete; 04-04-09 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Added more info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    God - turns out he's not doing a chop , just thinking on how he would do it if he was. What he is doing is putting in Monaro doors which will mean modifying the pillars and a monaro w/screen which will mean cutting the glass somewhere. He seems to have it all worked out in his head but frankly I'm a bit lost as to what he is doing.
    I was just sitting here and thinking a little about what your friends trying to do.

Maybe....just a suggestion without seeing the standard vs Monaro body next to each other.

Cut the Monaro from the floor. IE Take the firewall to take the whole Monaro windscreen opening including some of the floor with it.
    Then on the roof, cut it behind the position of the "B" pillar.
    Then remove the utes rear section (the part including the rear window and door striker and the whole floor up to near the firewall) and attach that to the Monaro section.
    The reason for the idea is he will be needing part of the floor section from the Monaro joined to the floor of the Ute to lengthen the whole thing overall because or the longer Monaro door lengths.
    The whole cab should be considerably longer now.

Ill tell you what though, its so easy to sit here babbling on about it but doing it in real life would be a whole different story. LOL

Sounds like your mate is a true old school hot rodder...a dead art today.

Good on him and good luck to him.

Thanks

in my HQ when I lowered it, To get it passed it had to have 1" inch clearance on the bump rubbers..... Shhhh what a did was cut the bump rubbers to get the 1" It was low.. if there was a brick on the road laying flat side down it would still hit it (looked very cool)