Thread: [Book] Slash's Biography

Thanks

Default [Book] Slash's Biography

Bit bored tonight,

so I thought I'd write a bit of a book review. Read allot of biographies in the last 6 months (hey no web) and one that stood out to me was Slash's Bio.

For those that do not know who Slash is, he was the guitarist from the 80's band gun's n roses.

I am forever wondering about biographies and the truth/lies/embellishments that are in them.

Initially when I grab it for the read, I was judgemental and thought to myself that this would be a big w4nk for what I believed the man to be, which was a brain dead drug addict in a band that was given unjustifiable success.

If I take the book at face value. How wrong was I.

Slash and the band had a fascinating story to tell. To my knowledge this is the only time Slash has done a book and from memory he states that he had been asked many times to do one but finally decided to do it from his perspective.

The Bio starts of with a bit of history of all the band members and how they came together, because this is Slash's BIO obviously his early days are the most predominate.

I found it very interesting to read about how his mother made clothes for the celebrity A Listers and all the famous people that floated around him. One story that sticks out was his relationship with sonny and cher, and how he as a young lad used to sleep with cher (non sexual -although he did mention that it crossed his mind).

He talks about his friendship with Steven Adler (The Drummer) and how he was a young an upcoming BMX'er in a gang that caused quite a bit of trouble around the neighbourhood. The "dares" he did to gain acceptance.

One being, the inflatable boat that he stole only to leave it in a random front yard once he was out of the store.

The party house that all the gang frequented, his first sexual relationship and girlfriend (I think he claims he lost it at 11 or 12) and she was 14 or something.

A bit of history on his working days before music, and how he knew he wanted to be in a band. It progresses into the various bands that were on the then new LA rock scene and interestingly enough how the "scene" was split between "rock" and "hair bands" (Motley Crue, Poison et al) and how bands were formed and then only last 2 weeks, The struggle to find a lead singer (Which ended up being Axl Rose).

Allot is covered about the troubles facing a up and coming band, with no money and what they had to endure. One interesting thing that was mentioned in the book which I never new, was the meaning behind the song "Night Train" we find out that this was the cheapest booze at the time and how because of the lack of money was all they could afford. Which then became a song after walking up to a party and Axl making lyrics about it.

side note, another tune has Axl screwing one of the many many strippers as back ground fills. and the controversy behind the song "One in a Million" very interesting stuff indeed.

Moving on, The first tour (to Seattle) which was a massive failure but some of the stories about that trip were really interesting.

Then onto the success and beginning of the demise of the band, The alcohol and drug addictions

One story of note, was how Slash used to drink 1/2 a gallon of Vodka a day (equates to 1.8litres approx)

Some of the drug stories were truly amazing and shocking, so too, the relationships between the various girlfriends, and also the dynamics between the band.

This lifestyle has left Slash with a pace maker.

The success is covered, and the total indulgence that goes along with it. How they were forced to go out on the road to make money only to have Axl throw nightly theme parties for 500+ people

Slowly but surely, the burn out of various members and the sobering up process

I always expected Slash to be bitter towards Axl Rose and he does mention allot about how Axl wanted total control over everything even forcing them to sell the name (Guns n roses) to Axl. But much of the book you feel that Slash is still very protective of Axl.

Lastly it covers the creation of "Velvet revolver" (and how the name was decided upon) all very interesting.

Again, I found this to be a really fascinating read, from someone that I now have much respect for. I found him to be really well balanced all things considered. He changed my mind from Brain dead, to extremely well read and great at telling a story. I appreciated some of the insight into some of the bands reasoning and decisions, several times he mentions things that only the band or people close to the band would know about. Great insight for Fans.

Well worth a read regardless of being a fan or not of the band.

Highly recommend ++

edit: better mention that I read this a few months ago, so allot was from memory. the book is MUCH better than my limited over view
    Last edited by z1gg33; 06-04-09 at 12:52 AM. Reason: disclaimer
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Look Here ->

Thanks

just in case your interested and DONT know Steven Adler (G N R drummer) is on "Dr Drew : Celebrity Rehab"?? wed nights @ 8:30pm on BIO
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Thanks Z1gg33

Thanks

One story that sticks out was his relationship with sonny and cher, and how he as a young lad used to sleep with cher (non sexual -although he did mention that it crossed his mind).
    That sounds exactly like Anthony Kiedis from RHCP, I just fininshed reading scar tissue and it was a fantastic read, couldn't put it down.

Thanks for the review, I might have to pick this up.

Thanks

Punxor, I believe I read that BIO too, jesus I hope I did not cross the info from each of em...

regardless well worth a read.

as noted, was going on memory from a few months ago..... doh!

edit:

i think it was this.... title seems right, dont remember THAT cover mind you...

I usually read 2-3 books at any given time....

Thanks

Yeah thats the one, well recommended

Thanks

great book z1gg