Thread: Open 824RLW issues - mainly wireless related

Thanks

Default Open 824RLW issues - mainly wireless related

Hi all,
    Just bought myself an Open 824RLW 4-port model, to co-incide with plans for a new ISP, VoIP and home wireless distribution. Along with this, I also got a pair of Open iConnect 306W USB dongles to match (I always think it's a good idea to get matching hardware for 'compatibility' reasons... as you'll shortly see)

Well, the 824RLW and 306W work fine together, though don't give the range I first thought they would in this split-level house. Might have to work on the antenna to help with that...

But when it came to using my laptop PCMCIA cards with the 824RLW... no go at all. Will not work at all in unencrypted mode, and turning on encryption (TKIP only) they associate, then disconnects, then associates again, then disconnects and so on. So I tried a second PCMCIA card, an old 802.11b type this time, and it wouldn't associate at all.

I have similar incompatibility problems with my present wireless network... have to run the Linksys AP in unencrypted mode, otherwise neither my laptops Dlink or RTL-based PCMCIA cards won't connect to it either...

Now I'm thinking that a firmware update might help resolve some of these wireless incompatibility problems... but the 824RLW I have is already at the latest firmware issue 5.53. I heard that using a Billion firmware might be possible, but I also heard that its not possible to go back once the Billion firmware is sent to the box... true or false?
    And if I do try it, I've seen conflicting information as to which Billion firmware to use: 7402VGP or 7404VGP?

Has anyone else had similar problems, and what did you try to overcome them?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I know nothing about the units in question, but located some information you might not be aware of, which I hope is useful.

The table at indicates that the 4 port version is a re-badged Billion 7404VGP so I assume that the article, Convert an Open 824RLW to a Billion 7404 VGP(A) at applies.

Perhaps you can contact the author of the article for further clarification. His name appears on the website's home-page.

I couldn't see e-mail contact details, (maybe I missed it), but perhaps contact information will be available via a DNS inquiry for kirrawee.net using

Thanks

thats weird because I have the same Open 824RLW and have not had any problems with it (still on the 5.53 firmware)
    I have 2 PC's lan cabled, 2 pc's wireless and 1 laptop wireless

On the 2 wireless PC's I have NETGEAR WIRELESS G USB 2.0 ADAPTER

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Anyone else had any similar problems like the original poster with this unit ?

Thanks

Thanks

nope I use one with no problems other than my Panasonic Gigarange cordless phone wiping out the connection if we've had the power go off and the phone resets the channel it's running on.

I've run with and without encryption on the wireless and never a problem with this unit.

Thanks

Hi everyone!
    I am Open 824RLW issues - mainly wireless related but am unable to access its menu.
    Currently I have a Linksys WRT54GL router connected to my main PC via ethernet cable. The router is also connected wirelessly to my Linksys range expander half way down the house (which feeds all my other PC's in the house). I was wanting to install the TP link AP down the other end of the house.
    Router--> Expander-----> Access point
    Here is the problem the user guide says to connect the AP to the router so I can configure it, but when I do and I type in the default IP for the AP which is 192.168.1.1 I enter my router's secure menu.

Thanks

Smile Why wont voip give me a dial tone?

Hi everyone, I only just signed up so I am not too sure of where to post this type of stuff. I am signed up with pennytel and I have put in the right settings and everything is working as far as internet and wireless lan. I have connected the phone to the phone port at the back of the modem and Gone through all the settings from my phone provider and everything is all set.
    As soon as i press the Talk button I should get a tone of some sort but all i am getting is dead silence. Is there anyone that has had this problem before and Is there anyone that could help me solve this problem?

Thank you to all in advance

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Please start your own thread in the Voip forum for your problem.