Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telstra to pay ?

Banned
    Thanks

Cool Telstra to pay ?

OK , went on a service call today - panel not reporting. When I get there I find there is no dial tone at the panel. Checking with the owner I find that Telstra came out the week before because of a noisy line. Now I dont know how the panel was originally wired but it had a filter & mode 3 skt in the panel. Where the lead-in entered was a central filter & about 3 2 pair cables which had been disconnected.
    The owner confirmed that the Telstra tech had told him that he had got rid of all the old cabling off the line which was causing the noise. The owner is going on holidays in two days time.

So I ring Telstra to tell them the story & ask for a billing address to send my invoice to for a service call for them to pay. Well this feaks out "consultant" Sarah & she promptly duck shoves me to "consultant" Andrew who is somewhere in Victoria. Andrew is not too comfortable about things either but says he will enter the report & gives me a reference number as well as a reference number for his supervisor (this may be a ih-house method of duck shoving) & says I can do nothing more about obtaining a billing address until a tech comes out to see what has happened. He gets my name & number & says a tech will ring me within half an hour & I remind him that on top of my service call charge I also charge at $45 / 15 min. So I hang around for an hour & leave , still no call. I have let the owner know what is happening & told him that if it has not been fixed by 5pm the day before he goes on holidays then I will come around & get it going. He knows where I'm coming from & I reckon that I may just get a weeks worth of money from one Telstra stuff up.

Ahh - a crusade , I'm lovin it
    I'll post developments.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

good one Watchdog. Good luck and keep us informed.

Wouldnt be the first time ive been to a panel disconnected by Telstra.

Thanks

Why not bill the customer and let them sort it out with telstra or is it a contract thing?
    Good luck, I will pray for you.

Thanks

if a sparky goes around your customers house and blows the control panel up its hardly the customers fault.

So if Telstra go around and disconnect teh phone line it shouldnt be the customers fault either.

Thanks

But its nothing to do with watchdog? It was a different issue that telstra was there for.
    It just seems an odd way to do things, maybe good if you can pocket some extra, but if they don't cough up you have to wear it.
    Can you get money out of these pricks?

Thanks

But it's not up to you to chase the sparky that blew up the panel is it? So why is it up to you to chase Telstra? Bill the customer and let him chase the third party i.e. telstra.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rob916 View Post
    Why not bill the customer and let them sort it out with telstra or is it a contract thing?
    Good luck, I will pray for you.
    I value my customers enough not to leave them with the problem , they will probably fall for the bullshit & give in. I worked for Telstra for 25 yrs & though I've been out for a while I know my way around the internals & more than enough not to be shat on.
    The other thing is this - if I stuff up their cabling & they send a tech around to fix it , how much do you think they will charge & who will they try to get to pay it ?

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

But its nothing to do with watchdog? It was a different issue that telstra was there for.
    It just seems an odd way to do things, maybe good if you can pocket some extra, but if they don't cough up you have to wear it.
    Can you get money out of these pricks?
    I.ve tried this once before & was going ok until they said that I should have notified them before fixing so as to give them the opportunity to correct their stuff up. You live & learn !

Thanks

I like your customer relations watchdog, but you have to make a living.

We had customer in the other day with a C*lais with a warranty job.
    The car was not purchased from us but they are locals.
    The bluetooth had never worked ( no audio on receivers end of a call, like there was no mic(some cars were shipped with no mike but not this one)
    It ended up being that the other dealer forgot to put the loopback plug on the bluetooth module harness.
    Had to think about it for a while.
    We could have billed the other dealer.
    Us claiming warranty on G* was not a possibility (they would can it straight away.)
    We billed the customer and it is up to them to take it up with the other dealer.
    Last edited by rob916; 08-04-09 at 12:12 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

The main point is that if you report a problem to Telstra they will do an isolation test to your phone. If that tests ok they will say it is not their problem & you need to look elsewhere to get it fixed. Now if you tell them that your alarm panel is not getting back to the cms & the isolation test is ok they will tell you its an alarm problem & to get an alarm tech. They will not accept a problem as being theirs until all other avenues have been checked. So if you incur a cost checking these other avenues only to find the problem was CAUSED by Telstra then of course they are liable for the costs.

Thanks

Ok, so where the legislation lays is as follows ( i believe )

Telstra are responsible for and up to the network boundary, which is the "lead in" cable, if they find noise on the line caused by consumer cabling, they can either disconnect and and restore the line, or, charge the client extra to investigate and repair.

Using an example like "electrician blew the panel" is ridiculous in the extreme, so is trying to bill Telstra? why not just re connect the panel to the exisiting line for the customer, re configure the mode 3 and everyone is happy.

Once the legislation is explained to a customer they are generally ok to pay your bill, especially if you leave and the system is monitored again?

cmon guys, be serious here.. it happens all the time.. not really a massive issue.....rather an annoyance.

Thanks

The network boundary could also be the first socket.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

You would think that the tech would have isolated the issue and pointed the customer to the cable causing the noise instead of just yanking 3 lines and leaving the premises.

Besides, Telstra's isolation test proves jack. We had an issue with the ADSL dropping out all the time, after 3 telstra visits and numerous line tests they told us it was our cabling. I checked everything from the network boundary to the individual sockets and all was ok. Turns out the lead in cable from the telegraph pole to the house was that corroded the linesman was surprised we could even make a phone call. Needless to say this whole exercise took 3 weeks, which IMO should have been resolved in atleast 1.

Thanks

you billed the customer for a valid warranty claim remind me not to come to your business for warranty job

I like your customer relations watchdog, but you have to make a living.

We had customer in the other day with a VE Calais with a warranty job.
    The car was not purchased from us but they are locals.
    The bluetooth had never worked ( no audio on receivers end of a call, like there was no mic(some cars were shipped with no mike but not this one)
    It ended up being that the other dealer forgot to put the loopback plug on the bluetooth module harness.
    Had to think about it for a while.
    We could have billed the other dealer.
    Us claiming warranty on GM was not a possibility (they would can it straight away.)
    We billed the customer and it is up to them to take it up with the other dealer.
    IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Puca, I agree with Rob on this one, you are not liable for someone else work. The best thing to do is bill the customer for your time and the customer can chase it up with who is at fault.

Thanks

I come across this all the time, they get the first phone working on the n/boundary & bolt leaving everything else disconnected.

I often wonder what would happen if the premises was broken into that night......... would they be liable ?

Thanks

Keef i agree it is an annoyance, a big one.

I can see what watchdog is trying to achieve and i also agree with a lot of what is being said re: the fact he should have just reconnected it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
    I come across this all the time, they get the first phone working on the n/boundary & bolt leaving everything else disconnected.

I often wonder what would happen if the premises was broken into that night......... would they be liable ?

Not T's Problem.
    If you call & advise there is a line fault, they are legally entitled to d/c everything after the network boundary, if this happens to be a socket on the wall, they are allowed to d/c all other cables apart from that.

Anything beyond that is the Consumer Cabling as such, the customers responsibility.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keef82 View Post
    Not T's Problem.
    If you call & advise there is a line fault, they are legally entitled to d/c everything after the network boundary, if this happens to be a socket on the wall, they are allowed to d/c all other cables apart from that.

Anything beyond that is the Consumer Cabling as such, the customers responsibility.
    If what you say is correct then Watchdogs attempt of pursuing Telstra as mentioned above is going to be a waste of time.

Id be interested on the views of the insurance company if this happened.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast