Thread: win98 +satellite

Thanks

Default win98 +satellite

i have win98 se on an old laptop with a usb 10/100 network adapter and a satellite broadband connection which of course the isp wont support
    my question is it still possible to get online
    ps ive been a member for six years but my details seem to have disappeared

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bojo1 View Post
    ive been a member for six years but my details seem to have disappeared
    There was a major crash of the board, which resulted in all members needing to re-join, but that was several years ago now.

i have win98 se on an old laptop with a usb 10/100 network adapter and a satellite broadband connection which of course the isp wont support
    We need a little clarification here ...

1/. What precisely are you saying your ISP won't support?
    2/. Is your satellite broadband connection working with another computer?
    3/. Do you wish to connect your Win98SE laptop directly to the satellite modem?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

ps ive been a member for six years but my details seem to have disappeared
    Is upgrading the Laptop to XP an option for you ?

Has the Laptop got high enough specs, (Ram, Hard Drive, CPU) to install XP onto it,
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

If the Sat modem has already been set up then you shou be able to plug the ethernet cable into any network capable computer and have a connection.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have an old laptop using 2000 and a desktop with 98SE and this desktop on XP via satelitte internet.
    Both desktops are hard wired via a wireless router and the laptop is running on a wireless card.
    I used the 'Crossover' cable from the Sat modem to the wireless router, normal cable to the 2 desktops. The desktops both worked literaly on turn on.
    I was told by the ISP it is essential that a 'Crossover' cable be used between the Modem and whatever devise you plug into, be it a router or a computer. After that a standard ethernet cable is used from the router to a computer.
    I did have another old laptop connected via an adaptor card but that laptop died.
    The hardest part was working out how the hell to get the laptop to 'talk' to the router. Once I worked that out, I had all 4 working at once.
    I never did anything to the Sat modem or the router, just plugged and prayed.

Thanks

i'd start by hand configuring the DNS Server (ie your router or isp's DNS servers) & hostname in your network card settings.

Run "ping 61.88.88.88" from the command prompt and see if it times out or has a reply. That will help you find if it's a DNS issue.

If you can ping but don't know the DNS, use the IP address above (Optus DNS IP - works on almost all services)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    There was a major crash of the board, which resulted in all members needing to re-join, but that was several years ago now.

We need a little clarification here ...

1/. What precisely are you saying your ISP won't support?
    2/. Is your satellite broadband connection working with another computer?
    3/. Do you wish to connect your Win98SE laptop directly to the satellite modem?
    my isp wont support windows 98
    the broadband works with my sons vista computer
    yes I wish to connect the 98 directly to the sat mdem via the usb 10/100
    network ethernet adaptor as the compaq armada laptop has no built in ethernet card/connector
    sorry for the delay ive been away

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OSIRUS View Post
    Is upgrading the Laptop to XP an option for you ?

Has the Laptop got high enough specs, (Ram, Hard Drive, CPU) to install XP onto it,
    no unfortunately its an older compaq armada 64 meg 6gigs 350 mhz
    have tried a win2000 professional upgrade but after a scan the setup warns of known compatability issues

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grommet80 View Post
    If the Sat modem has already been set up then you shou be able to plug the ethernet cable into any network capable computer and have a connection.
    i believe win98 is pre the networking era of win2000 if you just plug in an ethernet cable it does nothing it is network capable but you must manually set up the dns settings etc and also i believe that win98 acquires these only in the boot stage.
    Its this manual set up I need some help with

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have an old laptop using 2000 and a desktop with 98SE and this desktop on XP via satelitte internet.
    Both desktops are hard wired via a wireless router and the laptop is running on a wireless card.
    I used the 'Crossover' cable from the Sat modem to the wireless router, normal cable to the 2 desktops. The desktops both worked literaly on turn on.
    I was told by the ISP it is essential that a 'Crossover' cable be used between the Modem and whatever devise you plug into, be it a router or a computer. After that a standard ethernet cable is used from the router to a computer.
    I did have another old laptop connected via an adaptor card but that laptop died.
    The hardest part was working out how the hell to get the laptop to 'talk' to the router. Once I worked that out, I had all 4 working at once.
    I never did anything to the Sat modem or the router, just plugged and prayed.
    you have the xp ccomputer to negotiate with the modem or router
    this old laptop has no ethernet connector only one usb for the network adapter so networking is a slight problem

Thanks

If the laptop has a PCMCIA slot it can be fitted with a 10\100 network adaptor, thats how I get my old Toshiba on the net. Mind you being a 98SE machine with no working anti virus I'd have to be down all of my other three computers first. It's a D-Link DFE-670TKD I have here.
    It has a few other uses but they are rare, this laptop doesn't even have a CD ROM in it, and is about a P100 processor. I had to copy the drivers onto a CF disk and save them to the HDD before I could setup the card but it works a treat.