Thread: Panasonic / Indigovision help - RS485

Thanks

Default Panasonic / Indigovision help - RS485

Hi guys,
    I have recently installed two Panasonic WV-CW974 PTZ Dome cameras and an Indigovision 4 channel IP rack. I have got the video up and running fine but I am stuck on the PTZ side of things. Basically I have a shielded 2 wire (1 pair) Belden cable running between the cameras and the Indigovision rack and nobody that I talk to can tell me the pinouts that I should be using. If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

I have a pinout of the multi pin I/O connector from an Indigovision manual that I have sourced. It shows pins 1 to 18 but I am assuming that the first four pins are to do with PTZ.

Pin Number I/O Description
    1 I Serial: RS232/RS422 Rx/RxP
    2 O Serial: RS232/RS422 Tx/TxN
    3 I Serial: RS232/RS422 CTS/RxN
    4 O Serial: RS232/RS422 RTS/TxP

Does this sound like the pins I should be using? If so, because I am running ony 2 wires which two do I use? My supplier of the Indigovision box tells me that it is only the two output pins as it is only transmitting to the camera. I personally thought that it would have to use an input and an output - Transmit and Receive? Any ideas?

I also have pinouts of the camera from the book that came with it. This shows the pinouts of the RJ12 connector coming from the camera.

Data Tx Red T(B)
    Data Tx Orange T(A)
    Data Rx Yellow R(B)
    Data Rx Green R(A)

Same problem at this end if I go by what my supplier suggests than it will be yellow and green for Rx. I would have thought that it would have to have been Red and Yellow or Orange and Green (TB RB or TA RA)?

Other than the pinouts is there anything else I need to do to make the PTZ work? I have put in the PTZ settings into the indigo box for the baud rate and protocol for each camera and have also set the switches on each camera to "2-line communication" with terminator on and called one number 1 and the other number 2. The two cameras have dedicated cables back to dedicated plugs on the indigo box so this should be fine I am assuming.

I am also assuming that to move the cameras I can just click the image and drag the mouse to move the camera?

Any help whatsoever on the above will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Pin Number I/O Description
    1 I Serial: RS232/RS422 Rx/RxP
    2 O Serial: RS232/RS422 Tx/TxN - Panasonic Yellow
    3 I Serial: RS232/RS422 CTS/RxN
    4 O Serial: RS232/RS422 RTS/TxP - Panasonic Green
    Tim Norton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

How much did you pay for the PTZ cameras?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    How much did you pay for the PTZ cameras?
    As a former Rexel employee I can say that they used to sell for under $3000 +GST
    Tim Norton

Thanks

Thanks for your quick replies I think I am going to like this forum! I believe that we paid around 3 grand for these cameras and around 4 grand for the indigo 4 channel. This job has dragged on a bit since we ordered them last year so I am not sure of exact prices.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Out of curiosity, if you were to go IP, have you looked into Megapixel cameras?

The reason I say this, is with MP cameras you don't have the disadvantage of missing incidents as you would when Pan/Tilt and Zooming the conventional way, because all the information is there, you can virtually PTZ and not lose any footage at all, handy if you need to go back for an incident.

Take the brawl at the Qantas terminal for example. Traditional PTZ cameras left zoomed in pose a risk for missing incidents, hence the reason the brawl wasn't captured on CCTV.

Don't worry about the company, the demo explains digital PTZ. This works the same for any IP Megapixel solution.

Thanks

On this particular job the above devices were stipulated in the scope so that was the equipment that we have used. I have got some more info now so hopefully I can get them moving.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Out of curiosity, if you were to go IP, have you looked into Megapixel cameras?

The reason I say this, is with MP cameras you don't have the disadvantage of missing incidents as you would when Pan/Tilt and Zooming the conventional way, because all the information is there, you can virtually PTZ and not lose any footage at all, handy if you need to go back for an incident.

Take the brawl at the Qantas terminal for example. Traditional PTZ cameras left zoomed in pose a risk for missing incidents, hence the reason the brawl wasn't captured on CCTV.

Don't worry about the company, the demo explains digital PTZ. This works the same for any IP Megapixel solution.
    There is still too much bandwidth usage on most MP cameras. 6Mbps or more to actually achieve the full resolution even at 1.3MP.

I have looked at the Mobotix 360 and while in concept it is good, it only covers 6mtrs.
    Products like Avigilon have some interesting stuff in the 16MP range but storage and bandwidth are unmanageable unless you have a dedicated LAN and only need 2 days storage.

I still think there is a need for a PTZ in a correctly designed system. All too often however people sell a PTZ when they should have had 4 fixed cameras because no one is watching or controlling the PTZ
    Tim Norton

Thanks

Default New 720p HD 25ips 10X PTZ

As an update to my previous pose here, we now have a 720p HD PTZ, which will provide 25ips unconditionally and not exceed 6Mbps for the maximum quality.

This is only 2 Mbps more then the 4CIF model but is 3X the resolution

Tim Norton

Thanks

Default Panasonic wv-cs954 protocol

I have a panasonic 954 camera but i have a problem of letting it function with my geovision gv1120 card. I tried it to my stand alone universal dvr but still does not function. any one can help what i will do to make this work. Thanks