Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: email account hacked

Thanks

Default email account hacked

Hi guys

don't know if there is any tips/advice you could give however,

my daughters hotmail account was hacked into a few days ago, there was nothing of importance in the account thank gawd, from what she has told me the account was hacked and the password was changed now she a circle of friends at school and couple of the friends had their accounts hacked as well.

I doubt there is much we can do apart from closing the account via notifying hotmail or msn....

any advice would be really appreciated as my daughter wants to try and get back into the original email account..

so any advice is really appreciated!
    Democracy & Ignorance = A Winning Combination

Look Here ->
    Thanks

when the account was set a security question was created with an answer.
    Do a recovery of forgotten password and it will ask security question IIRC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ocd_csv View Post
    thanks ocd we'll give that a go

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

So the email I got from your daughter asking me out on a date was a fake?

Thanks

would not the person have changed the default e-mail and secret question by now. I think it must have been a very simple password, maybe same user name or user name backwards, as if you guess to many times (wrongly) it locks you out.

I guess you would have to contact them and convince them you own the account.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

My son use to prank the girls at school by hacking their email accounts and then giving them back the next day.

He would over a period of time ask questions like do you have a pet, whats its name ect to build a profile.

Then with all the info gathered it was enough to get into most freinds accounts just to change their passwords to give them the shits.

Maybe this is what happened to your daughter.

@Weirdo, osci's daughter is too old for you. LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    My son use to prank the girls at school by hacking their email accounts and then giving them back the next day.

He would over a period of time ask questions like do you have a pet, whats its name ect to build a profile.

Then with all the info gathered it was enough to get into most freinds accounts just to change their passwords to give them the shits.

Maybe this is what happened to your daughter.

@Weirdo, osci's daughter is too old for you. LOL
    godzilla, I'm hoping this is all thats happened, she was annoyed that it did an naturally i asked if she had given her password out to any of her friends but she no way would she do that.
    I'll try the susggestion by ocd above and see what happens.....

and weirdo, your a shocker mate.....

Thanks

OCD, we used the recover passwaord tab and she's now back in, we have changed the password to much much stronger one, thanks heaps for that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by osci View Post
    OCD, we used the recover passwaord tab and she's now back in, we have changed the password to much much stronger one, thanks heaps for that.
    That only proves that the PW is only as good as the secret question.
    That needs to be improved as well as the PW.

Thanks

nah just most people who "hack" these accounts forget about the secret password thingy.

Good to hear your back in.
    Just our of curiosity what was her original password

Thanks

nah just most people who "hack" these accounts forget about the secret password thingy.

Good to hear your back in.
    Just our of curiosity what was her original password
    the original was a 13 letter word, however, this time around when we made the new password this morning we made sure its is a mixture of letters and numbers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osci View Post
    the original was a 13 letter word, however, this time around when we made the new password this morning we made sure its is a mixture of letters and numbers
    Wouldnt make any diffrence if ya had 1or 33 letters/numbers etc you just cant hack a password like that. she had probley got done by phishing,cookie stealing which you dont need to be a rocket scientist to do that,its more tricking than hacking like creating fake log in screens or hiding cookie stealers behind banners etc,ya got to be aware when you get pop ups asking for sign in details if it does happen and the page dont open ya probley just been done just change ya password.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ATTITUDE View Post
    Wouldnt make any diffrence if ya had 1or 33 letters/numbers etc you just cant hack a password like that. she had probley got done by phishing,cookie stealing which you dont need to be a rocket scientist to do that,its more tricking than hacking like creating fake log in screens or hiding cookie stealers behind banners etc,ya got to be aware when you get pop ups asking for sign in details if it does happen and the page dont open ya probley just been done just change ya password.
    I reckon it night have been a pop up of some kind of which I try to drum it into the kids that if they ever receive one of these pops not to click on it.....there doesn't appear to be any harm done (keeping my finers crossed) or none that I have noticed at least.....

Thanks

lol its easy to guess sercet questions

EXAMPLE

Question-What is the food you have always liked?

Answer-most commonly used is chips or chocolate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    lol its easy to guess sercet questions

EXAMPLE

Question-What is the food you have always liked?

Answer-most commonly used is chips or chocolate...
    So what if you anwser the secret question, what happens then??? the new password gets sent back to there email addy of the owner or to an diffrent email,depending on how they set it up, and dosent mean there msn sign in and there email addy are the same password.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ATTITUDE View Post
    So what if you anwser the secret question, what happens then??? the new password gets sent back to there email addy of the owner or to an diffrent email,depending on how they set it up, and dosent mean there msn sign in and there email addy are the same password.

If you answer correctly..you get rediect to a page where you can set a new password and you have now got access to change the sercet question and access to messager AKA msn...and yes it does depend on how they set it up because they could just have an alterntive email address which sends dircetions on how to reset your password...

Thanks

osci ,

She might spend a heap of time wondering who would have singled her out to hack her password but it wouldn't be someone she knows , there are hacker tools available for hotmail / msn that only need a small txt file of passwords to get into most teenage girls accounts.

You can fit on a single page the passwords that most teenage girls use , the most common is ilovemymum or ilovemydad or their name and birth date like kylie1990.
    unfortunately the last thing girls are worried about is security until this sort of thing happens.

Another major issue is msn , there is some pretty nasty virus's that are easily spread in the form of pictures that appear to be coming from friends in their address book but it's not really coming from them , all they need to do is accept the picture and all is revealed to the collecting hackers servers.
    The fact that some of her friends were also hacked indicates that one or all them are infected with a trojan or virus that is revealing all their personal details.
    So changing their passwords without finding out the reason is going to be a waste of time.
    I suggest a thorough virus and spyware scan on all infected PC's , In particular her PC and her friends that had the same problem , one or all if them will still be infected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    osci ,

She might spend a heap of time wondering who would have singled her out to hack her password but it wouldn't be someone she knows , there are hacker tools available for hotmail / msn that only need a small txt file of passwords to get into most teenage girls accounts.

You can fit on a single page the passwords that most teenage girls use , the most common is ilovemymum or ilovemydad or their name and birth date like kylie1990.
    unfortunately the last thing girls are worried about is security until this sort of thing happens.

Another major issue is msn , there is some pretty nasty virus's that are easily spread in the form of pictures that appear to be coming from friends in their address book but it's not really coming from them , all they need to do is accept the picture and all is revealed to the collecting hackers servers.
    The fact that some of her friends were also hacked indicates that one or all them are infected with a trojan or virus that is revealing all their personal details.
    So changing their passwords without finding out the reason is going to be a waste of time.
    I suggest a thorough virus and spyware scan on all infected PC's , In particular her PC and her friends that had the same problem , one or all if them will still be infected.

thanks for the heads up Joey

I've updated malwarebytes again and did a full scan but it didn't pick up anything, I might have a look tonight for a good antispyware tool and scan the pc with that as well.....I myself hate msn and don't have a need to use it or any other chat program, but i guess this is the age we live in and ours kids are brought wth this technology, so I guess all we can do as parents is keep the kids on their toes about secuirty/privacy and such.

thanks heaps mate!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    osci ,

I'd be interested in this, as to my knowledge I have not seen it in action. I have heard of the fake ones. But if you incorrectly try to hack hotmail with a brute force, it will lock you out.

would you mind PM'ing the name, as I'd like to look into it sounds very interesting (and worrying)
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z1gg33 View Post
    I'd be interested in this, as to my knowledge I have not seen it in action. I have heard of the fake ones. But if you incorrectly try to hack hotmail with a brute force, it will lock you out.

would you mind PM'ing the name, as I'd like to look into it sounds very interesting (and worrying)
    There are so many around now it's ridiculous ,

I'm with osci , I hate msn with a passion , the part that blows me away is that everyone thinks they are getting it for free !!
    In reality the only thing free about it is the information people give about themselves then allowing half the universe share it.
    What better target for hackers with most of the planet even running it in the background.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast