Thread: Power Steering Xr6 Ute

Thanks

Default Power Steering Xr6 Ute

OK,

think I have done it this time. A while ago, say 9 months, I did a "burnout" full lock, and when I was spinning I hit a slight curb. Ummm how to explain. it was like a cutter that you see on driveways (you know for run off), after that happened, my power steering was a bit funny(hard). It only happened when I turned right... Thinking that perhaps it was an air bubble I left the cap off over night. did not fix it. and then I went travelling for a while.

Now its been in storage for months. And I topped up the power steering fluid. But now sometimes its hard and sometimes its not (in both directions) (its always hard when tight turning to the right)

the thing is, the burnout was done in a clockwise direction so it was the left front wheel that hit the curb.

any ideas? what I should like for, do? if it was the tie rod or steering arm should I be able to see it bent or whatever?

any way to diagnose where the problem is?
    be great to fix this as it really annoying driving in city traffic with dodgy steering (its like being back in the 70's)

Cheers
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It might be a tie rod that has been internally damaged, but I'd actually suspect the rack.

My first preference on suspension work is to go to Fulcrum and let them have the headaches.

Thanks

what would you think the cost to fix to be estimating obviously
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Ah at a guess around $1k, including labour. I haven't had to deal with that on mine. One of these days I'll have to fix the leaks in the high pressure lines fittings though.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Put your front wheels up in the air, fill the power steering container upto full and start the car.

Keep turning your steering all the way left to right...this will remove (bleed) any air in the system.

While the car is in the air, get under and compare the arms on your front axle assembly that the tie rods connect to. Its generaly the weakest point where they bend when getting personal with gutters.

Then take it in for a wheel alignment.

Hint; rub chalk on your tire treads when you had the car in the air all the way around completely.

Take it for a drive on a straight road (corner very slowly on the way to the nearest straight run).

Look at the chalk missing off the treads to judge your tire wear pattern.
    (An old race car trick)

I hope you didnt hit the rear tire into the gutter....LOL If so you may have just bent an arm. Yep the rear geometry can throw out the way the front handles too.

Have you ever noticed cars driving straight down a road a little sideways like a crab? Thats the rear out of whack.

If your car is walking like a crab and its a solid axle diff on the rear (some utes, but imsure if the newer Fords are solid axle rears) the diff may have shifted on the leaf springs.

Solid axle without leaf springs, (ie trailing arms) its the watts linkage can bend/break or the pin on the diff cover has sheared off most commonly.

If you need more info as to how to destroy a car doing burnouts let me know. Ill get my son to register and give you more destructive tips. LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Put your front wheels up in the air, fill the power steering container upto full and start the car.

Keep turning your steering all the way left to right...this will remove (bleed) any air in the system.

I have done this (except the wheels were not raised in the air) just on the ground? does it make a difference?

From memory the rear hit it as well.... it was like front hit, then the rear left hit and went over it....

The gutter is only like 2cm high? can't believe all this damage has occurred from this... (was full lock but)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Ive added the rear to my first post.

Having the wheels off the ground takes the pressure off the fluid and just lets it flow freely.

I have noted a better bleed having the wheels in the air (and less tired arms too)

Only in one direction could be air in one side of your rack or bent suspension.

Id put my money on somethings bent it if the car does not track in a straight line when you remove your hands from the wheel.

Thanks

thanks will take it for a drive and see if it goes straight, from memory I think it does.. well I mean it needs a wheel alignment (but what car does'nt these days).

when I let go, if its a bent whatever, should I be expecting a sudden pull to the right, as I think it foes "drift" a little, but I have always assumed it to be a wheel/tire problem..

will get it on jacks and do it again.

Yeah, I really should not have done this, I am real careful with this ute. but something took over me (stupidity) and thats all she wrote...

Your son done a few ute tricks? best car for em I reckon.

thanks all for the advice...

Thanks

just a follow up post.

did as suggested, jackup up. turn steering side to side. (with cap off) seems to have improved it NO END. does pull slightly to the right. (hey don't we all )

waiting an seeing now...

cheers too all
    (postive rep give to all, red its says i have to spread it round before giving postive to you again so you must have helped me somewhere else)