Thread: help auto aircon

Thanks

Default help auto aircon

any idea what's wrong, aircon works as normal 1-2 months then stop's working, if i put earth wire to the earth wire on the compressor when engine is running the clutch clicks in then it will be ok for another 1-2 months.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Without getting too technical, after what you have described have you sanded all your earth connections, battery to chassis and chassis to the engine?

Have you tested it with a home made earth wire in case oil/dirt is causing some resistance?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Without getting too technical, after what you have described have you sanded all your earth connections, battery to chassis and chassis to the engine?

Have you tested it with a home made earth wire in case oil/dirt is causing some resistance?
    Yes and check for loose bolts on compressor or bracket and also loose earth bolts on motor or chassis, battery etc.

Basically anywhere that you can get resistance or current drop out in loop.

Thanks

Earths connections all clean, the compressor has two wires going to it, when you turn the aircon on one wire has live the other earth this is the earth that sometimes does not work, when it goes faulty i just touch a earth to this earth lead then when the clutch has connected i remove it, then it will work normal again switching on and off

Thanks

next time try giving the earth wire & the other one a good wriggle, it might be a poor connection and when you hook up the other wire it moves enough to make a good enough connection for a while.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackpete View Post
    next time try giving the earth wire & the other one a good wriggle, it might be a poor connection and when you hook up the other wire it moves enough to make a good enough connection for a while.
    Done all the wriggling connection is ok,

its as if when i put a earth to the cable it reset's something then works as it should. the earth cable i use is only touched by hand to original earth till the clutch connects then removed.

Thanks

A strange one, try substituting a multimeter for the jumper wire and see if there is a voltage reading, it might give you some pointers, then try the multimeter in the 10 amp range and see if it gives a momentry reading when it gets it going.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackpete View Post
    A strange one, try substituting a multimeter for the jumper wire and see if there is a voltage reading, it might give you some pointers, then try the multimeter in the 10 amp range and see if it gives a momentry reading when it gets it going.
    Will try the multimeter next time it stops but it could be 1 to 2 months before it stops working again,

Thanks for replys

Thanks

let us know if you solve it

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

I suspect you have a faulty electro-magnetic clutch. They do play up.

The last word you need is replies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Studio1 View Post
    I suspect you have a faulty electro-magnetic clutch. They do play up.

The last word you need is replies.
    the magnetic clutch is ok the earth is not getting to it.

Thanks

Ive seen all sorts of earth problems, old cars and new ones that have benefited with an earth kit.

My opinion is run a black wire from your battery straight to your compressors earth plug and save yourself some work.

Either that or start following your wire back looking for damage and sanding your earth connections, including the painted section on the body that the terminal sits on. Dont forget to re coat the area sanded with paint after the terminal is back on.

Ive seen similar intermittent problems like electronic autos not shifting, electronic ignition control modules and starter motors not working due to some corrosion getting in between the earth lead connector/bolt and paint.

BTW if you check a wiring diagram you can confirm if it does just simply go back to earth....

Dont shrug off the suggestion that its your clutch by studio1...the solenoid could be playing up and a better earth is helping it in its high drain situation.
    Running your own earth lead is the easy way out..for now.

Thanks

Ive seen all sorts of earth problems, old cars and new ones that have benefited with an earth kit.

My opinion is run a black wire from your battery straight to your compressors earth plug and save yourself some work.

Either that or start following your wire back looking for damage and sanding your earth connections, including the painted section on the body that the terminal sits on. Dont forget to re coat the area sanded with paint after the terminal is back on.

Ive seen similar intermittent problems like electronic autos not shifting, electronic ignition control modules and starter motors not working due to some corrosion getting in between the earth lead connector/bolt and paint.

BTW if you check a wiring diagram you can confirm if it does just simply go back to earth....

Dont shrug off the suggestion that its your clutch by studio1...the solenoid could be playing up and a better earth is helping it in its high drain situation.
    Running your own earth lead is the easy way out..for now.
    Thanks for your reply

The earth does not just go to earth, when the aircon switched off no earth no live, switch on and you get earth and live. The daft thing is once i have touched a earth to the earth lead it will work for months switching on and off
    (note i do not leave the new earth connected)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brian/100 View Post

The earth does not just go to earth, when the aircon switched off no earth no live, switch on and you get earth and live.
    I think you may have answered your own post Brian.

Follow your wiring back to the switching control unit/relay.

Never heard of a switched earth but there is a first time for everything. LOL