Thread: Wii Modchipping

Thanks

Default Wii Modchipping

hey all just looking for a bit of advice. a mate bought a wii about 2 months ago and just thought about playing backup games... ive done a bit of reading just want to make sure im on the right track. so i need to get it modded, there seems to be a heap of chips what one will be the most reliable? all this will be used for is playing wii backups. has there been any cases where a newer game has bricked a wii an old chip? now apart from that ive read to backup your games you need a special lg dvd rom that are pretty rare, and apart from that a geckousb? no other way to back up games? anything else i should know?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

A lot of people are running a USB hard disk in there units these days and playing ISO's of games through them. Works really well but i wonder for how long . Theirs a separate thread on this already with a heap of info have a look if your interested and if you have anymore questions ask away.

I personally use and prefer D2sun 1.3A modchips and install these by default unless asked for something else. Its a very reliable chip and i haven't had any issues with it once it was installed and confirmed working. Saying that Wiikey2 is also a very nice chip and has some additional features over the D2sun. But i dont see myself nor the average joe using these features...

If you setup the software correctly by installing a few apps at the time of modding you can ensure the console remains brick free. Like stopping On Disc updates from installing and a few other measures.

To backup/dump your original games you need a special LG drive, check the bst section for those.

Thanks

No longer a need for a LG DVD drive. The USBLoader program not only lets you play games from a USB HDD, it also allows you back up your original discs to the HDD using the Wii DVD reader. These could then be burnt to DVD if you needed to for some reason.

Thanks

So plenty of LG drives will be for sale now...And if you use WBFS Manager it will save you 2.5 hours compared to the LG drive raw dump...A 4 gig Wii game will only take 18 mins to dump with USB loader on the Wii...
    Last edited by Mgoldbe1; 15-04-09 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks

might be time to get rid of my LG and try this new method

Thanks

you would wanna be quick

Thanks

alrite just had a quick skim over that thread. so if all goes to plan i should be able to take the wii get it modded and usbloader installed onto it, buy an external hdd. then its just as easy as put the game in, run the program then run it from the hdd after that?

i was readin about the softmod idea with twilight princess. already bought the game about 3 months ago, how easy is it to do? even if its fairly easy i would probably rather drop it off to someone who knows exactly know what theyre doing and pay to get it chipped

if somehow it gets 'bricked' in the future, will this stop originals from working?

Thanks

pretty simple mate

Everything you need to get HBC going is on that site.

If you get stuck send me a pm.

Cheers

• 16-04-09, 07:18 PM

Reason
    off topic

• 16-04-09, 07:32 PM

Reason
    off topic

• 16-04-09, 08:01 PM

Reason
    off topic

• 16-04-09, 08:03 PM

Reason
    off topic

• 16-04-09, 08:12 PM

Reason
    off topic

• 16-04-09, 08:49 PM

Reason
    off topic

Thanks

enough petty squabbling
    korruptone , sorry mate I see you as trolling here
    urban we all know you are a helpful chappie , so try not to arc up
    if this post persist I will issue infraction
    I have also deleted post as they are way off topic

Thanks

well i talked to the local installer, advertised that he insatls wiikey2, but he said he hadnt heard of loading games from a usb. if he dosent get back to me tommorow and sound confident ill get someone off here to do it whos done this setup before (chip with the usbloader program so can just copy the iso to the external hdd then boot from there) thanks all

Thanks

is there any downside to only softmodding the wii? i was told if anything goes wrong with it it can be modded back new again if its gota be sent away for warranty? how much is the going rate for a modder to softmod and set up an ext hdd all ready for ripping/playing?

Thanks

The only downside to softmodding is that nintendo may wipe out functionality latter on with forced firmware upgrades...etc(as seen with the 3rd wave partition on the newer xbox 360 games) no doubt it will too and fro between nintendo vs. writers of homebrew. Games maybe released in the future which arent compatible with the loaders, im pretty sure region free as well isnt 100% on the loaders(ive only personally used a few). Apparntly gamecube games wont work either. Since it is a software solution it also maybe prone to crashing and incompatibilities.

I honestly think that softmodding is great with plenty of possibilities but it should supplement a chip not be a substitute for it that way if ever something goes astray you have a reliable backup.

Nintendo Wii's are also very reliable compared to Xbox 360 so i think warranty is of little concern.

Softmodding is pretty much just a channel and can be deleted at anytime, hell if you sent it back with it installed there is v.little nintendo could complain about.

Going rate?
    Theres a entire thread on it with plenty of mini tutes, and plenty of good folk that'll help you out. Ive seen "softmodding" being advertised for around $50... I personally think thats a bit expensive considering you can do it yourself in a about half n hour or so.

Thanks

yeh well i own twilight so might even go it myself and read up a bit more... one more question if i go down the path of softmoddin it myself how hard is it to **** it.. just remember heard stories about original xboxs change one bit of code with the soft mod and it needs a chip to rescue it.. if theres a chance of it happening ill pay the money for someone to do it to save me the headache haha

Thanks

I did my own and it's pretty easy. I've
    got a good zip file which comes with all software and instructions. You end up being able to boot your backups directly from
    the normal disk channel instead of the homebrew channel. I can send it to u tomorrow or google riskiimod if you wanna have a suss. the only thing I recommend is having Internet connection on your wii as it uses the network to install

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fingal View Post
    I did my own and it's pretty easy. I've
    got a good zip file which comes with all software and instructions. You end up being able to boot your backups directly from
    the normal disk channel instead of the homebrew channel. I can send it to u tomorrow or google riskiimod if you wanna have a suss. the only thing I recommend is having Internet connection on your wii as it uses the network to install
    I personly would steer clear of the network install in case you update your system by accident (you do get a warning first) but follow the homebrew directions at least you know what your getting(if you know what I mean wink wink)....

just my opinion