Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The "sorry" statement

Thanks

Default The "sorry" statement

TEXT - sorry no extra handouts.

The text of the formal apology to Indigenous Australians due to be made in federal parliament on Wednesday has been released.

The statement is to be delivered by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd on Wednesday morning.

It reads:

"Today we honour the Indigenous peoples of this land, the oldest continuing cultures in human history.

We reflect on their past mistreatment.

We reflect in particular on the mistreatment of those who were stolen generations - this blemished chapter in our nation's history.

The time has now come for the nation to turn a new page in Australia's history by righting the wrongs of the past and so moving forward with confidence to the future.

We apologise for the laws and policies of successive Parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians.

We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families, their communities and their country.

For the pain, suffering and hurt of these stolen generations, their descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry.

To the mothers and the fathers, the brothers and the sisters, for the breaking up of families and communities, we say sorry.

And for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry.

We the Parliament of Australia respectfully request that this apology be received in the spirit in which it is offered as part of the healing of the nation.

For the future we take heart; resolving that this new page in the history of our great continent can now be written.

We today take this first step by acknowledging the past and laying claim to a future that embraces all Australians.

A future where this Parliament resolves that the injustices of the past must never, never happen again.

A future where we harness the determination of all Australians, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, to close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity.

A future where we embrace the possibility of new solutions to enduring problems where old approaches have failed.

A future based on mutual respect, mutual resolve and mutual responsibility.

A future where all Australians, whatever their origins, are truly equal partners, with equal opportunities and with an equal stake in shaping the next chapter in the history of this great country, Australia."

Look Here ->
    Thanks

And a future where you can now sue the Government for its wrong doing and recieve a nice compo payout at the Australians tax payers expense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by global88 View Post
    And a future where you can now sue the Government for its wrong doing and recieve a nice compo payout at the Australians tax payers expense.
    how do figure that m8y? given that rudd promised no extra compensation?
    dont you think that the government lawyers have given this the green light.
    the right for compensation through the courts is there and was there during the howard government also. must be proven that a case exists first.

im glad they didn't include me though as i accept no personal guilt. apology is for laws and policies of successive Parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians

Thanks

That wasn't so hard was it? I think the stuff about the future at the end is pretty well done.

Tomorrow will be a great day for Australia and the sky will not fall in as a result. I am glad that the Liberals and the Nats have come to their senses and the entire parliament are backing it.

p.

Thanks

Hey Digger, do you belive a promise made by any govenment mate?

The sky will fall lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by global88 View Post
    Hey Digger, do you belive a promise made by any govenment mate?

The sky will fall lol
    won't worry me. i wear my tin foil hat at all times.

Thanks

WTF Who gives this goverment right to give an apology on my behalf and in the end make me pay for it, alot of white people went though the same shit had there kids taken away and refused access to services. no one said sorry to them.

Tagg

Thanks

Nothing, they aren't apologising on your behalf.
    We apologise for the laws and policies of successive Parliaments and governments
    That's why, as an individual, you aren't required to attend.

Thanks

Oh thank god for that now i don't have to take a day off

Tagg

Thanks

Default I received this email yesterday . . .It's Spot On,I Say !

Ain't it the truth.

AUSTRALIAN APOLOGY TO THE ABORIGINAL POPULATION

We apologise for giving you doctors and free medical care, which allows you to survive and multiply so that you can demand apologies.

We apologise for helping you to read and teaching you the English language, thus opening up to you the entire European civilisation, thought and enterprise.

We feel that we must apologise for building hundreds of homes for you, which you have vandalised and destroyed.

We apologise for giving you law and order which has helped prevent you from slaughtering one another and using the unfortunate for food purposes.

We apologise for developing large farms and properties, which today feed you, where before, you had the benefits of living off the land and starving during droughts.

We apologise for providing you with warm clothing made of fabric to replace the animal skins you used before.

We apologise for building roads and railway tracks between cities and building cars so that you no longer have to walk over harsh terrain.

We apologise for paying off your vehicles when you fail to pay the instalments.

We apologise for giving you free travel anywhere, whenever.

We apologise for giving each and every member of your family $100.00 and free travel to attend an aboriginal funeral.

We apologise for not charging you rent on any lands when white people have to pay.

We apologise for giving you interest free loans.

We apologise for developing oil wells and minerals, including gold and diamonds which you never used and had no idea of their value.

We apologise for developing Ayers rock and Kakadu, and handing them over to you so that you get all the money.

We apologise for allowing taxpayers money to be paid towards a daughters' wedding ($8,000.00 each daughter).

We apologise for giving you $1.7 billion per year for your 250,000 people, which is $48,000.00 per aboriginal man, woman and child.

We apologise for working hard to pay taxes that finance your welfare, medical care, education, etc to the tune of $1.2 billion each year.

We apologise for you having to approach the aboriginal affairs department to verify the above figures. For the trouble you will have identifying the "uncle toms" in your own community who are getting richer and leaving some of you living in squalor and poverty.

We do apologise. We really do.

We are only too happy to take back all the above and return you to the paradise of the "outback", whenever you are ready.

Thanks

lol dude

Tagg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Ain't it the truth.

AUSTRALIAN APOLOGY TO THE ABORIGINAL POPULATION

We apologise for giving you doctors and free medical care, which allows you to survive and multiply so that you can demand apologies.

We apologise for helping you to read and teaching you the English language, thus opening up to you the entire European civilisation, thought and enterprise.

We feel that we must apologise for building hundreds of homes for you, which you have vandalised and destroyed.

We apologise for giving you law and order which has helped prevent you from slaughtering one another and using the unfortunate for food purposes.

We apologise for developing large farms and properties, which today feed you, where before, you had the benefits of living off the land and starving during droughts.

We apologise for providing you with warm clothing made of fabric to replace the animal skins you used before.

We apologise for building roads and railway tracks between cities and building cars so that you no longer have to walk over harsh terrain.

We apologise for giving each and every member of your family $100.00 and free travel to attend an aboriginal funeral.

We apologise for not charging you rent on any lands when white people have to pay.

We apologise for developing oil wells and minerals, including gold and diamonds which you never used and had no idea of their value.

We apologise for developing Ayers rock and Kakadu, and handing them over to you so that you get all the money.

We apologise for allowing taxpayers money to be paid towards a daughters' wedding ($8,000.00 each daughter).

We apologise for giving you $1.7 billion per year for your 250,000 people, which is $48,000.00 per aboriginal man, woman and child.

We apologise for working hard to pay taxes that finance your welfare, medical care, education, etc to the tune of $1.2 billion each year.

We apologise for you having to approach the aboriginal affairs department to verify the above figures. For the trouble you will have identifying the "uncle toms" in your own community who are getting richer and leaving some of you living in squalor and poverty.

We are only too happy to take back all the above and return you to the paradise of the "outback", whenever you are ready.
    Would you be interested at all to come along and meet some actual people that were taken from their parents or had their kids taken from them? I'd gladly help organise it.

I'm sure you think its some bullshit political game, but I'd honestly like to see how you'd react when faced with the reality of what you're responding to. Real people who've suffered indignities that you'd never tolerate for a second happening to your own family.

I'm sure its probably easy to post this shit without thinking about it, but if you care enough about to post this maybe you care enough to look into it a bit more.

I don't spose there's any chance that you'd be up for it?

p.

Thanks

poiuytrewq

Yea i would dude as i don't think you do, i have seen this same shit happen to white people, and can tell you storys from the early fifty's where family were torn apart because of do gooders like you thinking they know whats best for them, where the kids were thrown into state run home where they were threated like shit and abused,

Tagg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    poiuytrewq

Yea i would dude as i don't think you do, i have seen this same shit happen to white people, and can tell you storys from the early fifty's where family were torn apart because of do gooders like you thinking they know whats best for them, where the kids were thrown into state run home where they were threated like shit and abused,
    Unless you don't think it was wrong then I agree with you. Did misguided policies like these ONLY happen to aborignal people? No. But there was a systematic policy for 60 years of doing this to Aboriginal people for the reason that they were Aboriginal. If you don't think that it's wrong, no apology necessary. If you acknowledge it happened and you can see how wrong it was, surely an apology is not a lot to ask...

If government policies forced a whole group of Australians to be "treated like shit and abused" then an apology is a very small acknowledgement of that. And yes, if any other Australian was "treated like shit and abused" i would think they are entitled to acknowledgement as well.

p.

Thanks

Well I'm not Aboriginal blooded, but partly Aboriginal in religion,
    and that part replies:
    Thanx brutha but we dinna require anny a that before you arrive ere
    I hadda favorit fishin hole, but it dissapear shortly afta!

Thanks

Wink And so it goes. . .

Quote Originally Posted by poiuytrewq View Post
    Would you be interested at all to come along and meet some actual people that were taken from their parents or had their kids taken from them? I'd gladly help organise it.

p.
    Once again as i predicted, yet another hypersensitive knee-jerk,off the cuff reaction from poiuytrewq (Austech's resident extreme Left Wing pro-multiculturalist and righteous moral crusader)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Firebird, It looks very much like your racist.

It think poiuytrewq is simply voiceing his opinion, the same as you.

I don't think he was hypersensitive. I don't think his reply was 'off the cuff' or 'kneejerk'. In fact, I can only see one jerk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
    Once again as i predicted, yet another hypersensitive knee-jerk,off the cuff reaction from poiuytrewq (Austech's resident extreme Left Wing pro-multiculturalist and righteous moral crusader)
    I take it that that's a no then. You're not interested?

It's a pretty easy to post this stuff. But actually facing up to people that have been (to use Tagg's words) "treated like shit and abused" and see the reality of the real people that you're mocking would take a little courage.

p.

Thanks

You would have to recognise their mistreatment before you had any trouble facing them.
    For people that deny them that recognition, it's no trouble at all because they
    think that an entirely different culture should be able to perform in a
    different community just because they are given the same tools that we have.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Unfortunately I have to agree with global88.

Its now time for the lawyers to go in to overdrive. Mr KRudd ( I wonder if he found 1000 idiots and asked for their legal opinion ? ) has now stated that in fact everyone WAS stolen ( even though there has only ever been ONE succesful claim for compensation ). This should help legal proceedings in the case of these " stolen " people , who in fact are not stolen , but now legally are stolen due to Rudd's idiotic statement.

Lowitja O'Donoghue, the Stolen Generations Alliance's co-patron.

O'Donoghue in fact was dumped at a children's home by her footloose Irish father, to be educated by missionaries.

Peter Gunner, who sought compensation in the Federal Court for being "stolen"?

Gunner, in fact, was sent to a home in Alice Springs with the written permission of his mother, to get a schooling.

Mary Hooker, another Stolen Generations Alliance spokeswoman.

Hooker, in fact, was removed with three of her 11 siblings because welfare officers thought she was neglected and "I was raped by my brother".

For what should I say sorry to Lorna Cubillo, who claimed compensation?

Cubillo, in fact, was just seven, with no parents or even known guardian when she was found at a missionary-run ration camp in the bush, and sent to a home and school in Darwin.

For what should I say sorry to Molly, portrayed in Rabbit Proof Fence as a girl stolen to "breed out the colour"?

Molly in fact was taken into care with the agreement of her tribal chief after warnings that she was in danger of sexual abuse and had been ostracised as a half-caste by her tribe.

For what should I say sorry to Archie Roach, famous for his song Took the Children Away?

Roach, in fact, said yesterday he was removed when he was three because "word got around" he was neglected -- his parents weren't there, and his sister was trying to care for him.

For what should I say sorry to all the "stolen children" like these - activist Robert Riley, whose mother dumped him at a home; author Mudrooroo Narogin, who turned out to be neither stolen nor Aboriginal; claimant Joy Williams, whose mother gave away her illegitimate girl; bureaucrat Charlie Perkins, whose mother asked a boarding school to help her gifted boy; and "stolen generations" leader Annette Peardon, whose mother was jailed for three months for neglecting her children.

But now Mr Rudd has in fact officially stated they were stolen , compensation shouldnt be a problem even though they werent in fact stolen at all. Does this mean that if you abuse your child and DOCS take your child that you can now sue them for " stealing " your children ?

It makes you wonder what the english children did wrong that were bought here in ships after WW2 , thrown in orphanges , forced to work hard labour while being constantly sexually abused and beaten by those supposedly looking after them ?

This is something that can actually be proved , but unfortunately these children have one thing wrong with them....they arent aboriginal so there wont be any apology coming their way , even though it was a government sanctioned action.

Anyone that thinks everything will now be all rosy and we will join hands with aboriginals singing kumbya needs their head read. This isnt the end of it , its just the beginning.

The floodgates are now open for compensation , Rudd's statement will be used as the main precedent in any proceedings and will no doubt help any case , regardless of whether there is any truth in it at all.

I have seen a number of polls in regards to to how many Australians support this apology. Even the most " goody goody " newspaper polls show less than 55% of people supported it. More realistic polls showed 70-80% of people didnt agree with it. So why would any government go ahead with something that the majority of mainstream Australia doesnt support ?

Because they are a minority group and they are black , the perfect ingredients to be pandered to by an Australian Labor government.

• Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast