Thread: file sharing help

Thanks

Smile file sharing help

hi guys i need some help on file sharing on xp based computers added to a server 2003 domain.

the problem im having is setting up the permissions and security if i share a file on a computer.

like when adding a user account off the domain like going into the permission tab and go add user and it comes up with the search window and you click on find and it comes up with all the user accounts on my server

if i add the user account that i want it give permission to to be able to access the file i share on my laptop and apply what iv done if i go on an other computer on my network and click on my laptop it will come asking for a user name and password

and thats what i want to happen but when i put in the user that i added to be able to access my laptop it wont work it will just ask for a user name and password again but if i put in the user name and password of my laptop that isnt the the user account on the domain that i added just the account on my laptop it will work so guys how do i fix this problem sorry if this dosnt make sens iv tried to make this sound right so how can i fix this so it will work thanks guys.

also for got to add do you just do the same thing in the security tab

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Just add the domain/computer name to the front of the username field.

eg if you computer name is BOBSCOMPUTER then use the username BOBSCOMPUTER\userwithperms.

same goes if you add a domain user to a folder on your local computer you would use DOMAIN\user as the username.

Give that a go...

Thanks

Default thank you

thank you mate so much i never new that's what you had to do to log in by domain/user tried it and working so mate thanks for your help really do thanks mate.