Thread: couple of q's regarding digital free to air

Thanks

Default couple of q's regarding digital free to air

question 1
    why is the sbs digital signal basically non existent when less than 50 klicks from the station , yet analogue signal is perfect ? (Brissie that is , all digital channels are signal strength of 10 , sbs is 1 , only enough to detect a station is there not enough to have a picture)

question 2
    I have noticed all the digital channels are great sound , but all the HD channels do not get to me in full surround ? I am using an optical cable for sound . I did notice that the other night a Brisbane Broncos game was in full 5.1 , however all the adverts were not , generally speaking none of the HD channels are prviding 5.1 ? SD are fine as are analogue

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozchips View Post
    question 1
    why is the sbs digital signal basically non existent when less than 50 klicks from the station , yet analogue signal is perfect ? (Brissie that is , all digital channels are signal strength of 10 , sbs is 1 , only enough to detect a station is there not enough to have a picture)
    No idea, I get perfect SBS at Boondall.

question 2
    I have noticed all the digital channels are great sound , but all the HD channels do not get to me in full surround ? I am using an optical cable for sound . I did notice that the other night a Brisbane Broncos game was in full 5.1 , however all the adverts were not , generally speaking none of the HD channels are prviding 5.1 ? SD are fine as are analogue
    Not all programming is with 5.1 sound, some of the movies are (or used to be on 10HD) and like you say the Broncos games was the other night, when 10HD was showing CSI and Law & Order SVU, some of them were in surround.

It might be a bandwidth issue?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Check if any AV devices (foxtel/vcr/dvd) are set to use the same RF output channel as SBS is using. If so, change the RF output to an unused channel.

As for audio, try changing the audio system in the set top boxes menu
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

What antenna/antennas are you using?

All digital channels except SBS and on VHF Band 3 and SBS is on UHF Band 4.

Poor-quality coax/connections (including the flylead), corrosion on the antenna terminals/balun or other locations can seriously affect reception and UHF frequencies are usually more affected than VHF frequencies.

As mentioned, if another device is outputting a UHF signal which is the same as, or close to the SBS frequency, it will cause interference.

Lack of surround sound.... only some programs are produced with surround sound.

Thanks

now the trouble is that all the sd channels and even analogue channels get at the very least coverted via the amp to 5.1 . The HD channels in general are only from the centre speaker (again with the exception of the broncs game and the F1 on ONEHD) . this is what has me stumped , it converts for all others except for the HD channels , as thouhg the sound signal sent down cannot be done via optical

cabling is very good quality , I learnt that a few years ago when I did recabling (thanks fernbay)
    also the tuner is built into the telly
    the antenna is new and is of good quality for all analogue and digital signal
    the only thing that is plugged into the tv that may give rf interference is the foxtel decoder box
    i just want sbs as well , sbs and the abc are really the only worhtwhile channels imo

oh yeah what is the story with all that free to air digital channels they were harping on about ?

Thanks

oh yeah what is the story with all that free to air digital channels they were harping on about ?
    Freeview?

Thats just like green power, a crock of shit.

More of the same old rubbish, except sometimes you might get it in HD.

I will say that Channel 10 seems to be slightly ahead of the pack, but not everyone wants to see 24/7 sport.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Globe View Post
    Freeview?

Thats just like green power, a crock of shit.

hahaha
    yeah true , all the hippies want to shut down pollution making coal plants and then they harp on about nuclear , not much choice for large amounts of power is there
    then they go on about my car , if the hippies were not cutting down trees to burn in their green sustainable wood stoves there would be enough trees to turn my c02 emissions into oxygen

Thanks

why couldn't we be like the rest of the world and broadcast free view on a satellite?

Thanks

now the trouble is that all the sd channels and even analogue channels get at the very least coverted via the amp to 5.1 . The HD channels in general are only from the centre speaker (again with the exception of the broncs game and the F1 on ONEHD) . this is what has me stumped , it converts for all others except for the HD channels , as thouhg the sound signal sent down cannot be done via optical
    Because the HD channels transmit a dolby package (2.0, 2.1 or 5.1 depending on their source) and you're sending it via optical (coax is the same) your amp is doing what it is told and decoding in the native format. You should be able to set the amp to do a pseudo 5.1 mix for programs in 2.0 or 2.1
    Your amp is already doing this for the analogue inputs.