Thread: Cabling and extra outlets.

Thanks

Default Cabling and extra outlets.

I want to replace the existing cabling to the antenna in my roof space and add a couple of extra outlets (approx. 6 total ) , what cable should i use and where is a good place in Melbourne to source the cable/fittings/splitter/ wall plates from. Also for 6 outlets should i use some sort of signal booster or amplifier so i get good signal strength at each outlet ? Will also be running some cat5 with wall plates as well since i have a 100m roll lying around.

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

RG6 quad shield and Jaycar should have what you need

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

RG6 Quadshield is the cable you shoud use, together with F connectors and F-type splitter and outlet plates (you can use F rear and PAL front outlets)

The F type provides full shielding.

Yes, you may require some form of amplification to compensate for the losses of splitting 6-ways, but it's difficult to advise what amp or levels you'll require without knowing accurate signal measurements from your antenna.

Speaking of which, the antenna/s is/are the key to reliable digital reception and having them installed in the position that provides optimum signal strength and more importantly, signal quality.

Unless you have excellent reception with the antenna where it's currently located (in the roof space) then you'll need to mount it ON the roof, as being inside the roof can degrade it's performance dramatically.

Which suburb are you in? (some are excellent, some are vey poor for reception).

Lacey's TV in Seaford will have all the cable and connectors etc you require.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    RG6 Quadshield is the cable you shoud use, together with F connectors and F-type splitter and outlet plates (you can use F rear and PAL front outlets)

The F type provides full shielding.

Yes, you may require some form of amplification to compensate for the losses of splitting 6-ways, but it's difficult to advise what amp or levels you'll require without knowing accurate signal measurements from your antenna.

Speaking of which, the antenna/s is/are the key to reliable digital reception and having them installed in the position that provides optimum signal strength and more importantly, signal quality.

Unless you have excellent reception with the antenna where it's currently located (in the roof space) then you'll need to mount it ON the roof, as being inside the roof can degrade it's performance dramatically.

Which suburb are you in? (some are excellent, some are vey poor for reception).

Lacey's TV in Seaford will have all the cable and connectors etc you require.

I'm near Greensborough and reception is good and never have any pixelation problems, a mate used to work at lacey's - wish he still did .
    I can move the antenna to on top of the roof if need be but it works well where it is now just under the tiles as there is no sisalation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    RG6 quad shield and Jaycar should have what you need
    Jaycar is very expensive for RG6 at 1.20/m if you go to an electrical wholesaler and buy a full roll of 305m it is usually around the $90 mark(about $0.30/m).

If you are unsure of what type of booster gat a decent masterhead amp, you can always turn down the gain if it is too high.

Cheers,
    Nando.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nando View Post
    If you are unsure of what type of booster gat a decent masterhead amp, you can always turn down the gain if it is too high.
    I disagree. Any amplifier adds noise.... turning down the gain does not reduce the noise level.

Amplifiers should only be used to overcome distribution losses, not to try and compensate for poor signal from an antenna.

Many antenna installers still have not grasped the requirements for digital reception, especially where the use of amplifiers is concerned.

The key to reliable digital reception is ensuring you use the correct antenna, designed for optimum performance on the digital channels for your area (in this case Band 3 VHF (channels 6-12) and Band 4 UHF for SBS (channel 29)

Signals should be in the operating window that is not too low, or too high, and have minimum bit error ratio (BER) and high modulation error ratio (MER).

Positioning of the antenna can be critical to achieve this, as even a few centimetres in any direction, including up/down can be the difference between reliable reception and no reception in difficult reception areas.

Mounting an antenna inside a roof is not recommended, as signals reflect off the roof surfaces which can cause bit errors.

If you are lucky to be in an excellent signal area, which it seems you are,... if it works, then all's well.

If after splitting you have pixellation and sound plops.. your signals have probably dropped below the minimum required.

Relocating the antenna to on top of the roof will help.

You can still purchase directly from Lacey's even though your mate has left.

Thanks

mtv, good points there. digital is on or off. bad signal amplified will never turn into good signal.

i had to explain to someone the other day that antenna nside the roof-space is a thing of the past, analogue signal was easier to get by with average reception. But today people expect perfection so you have to make sure you deliver.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

I was doing a sat install for a lady and she told me she was suffering from bad reception even after paying $600 for a new antenna install. I found this setup in her roof. Hey at least the alignment was correct:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Alpha View Post
    I was doing a sat install for a lady and she told me she was suffering from bad reception even after paying $600 for a new antenna install. I found this setup in her roof. Hey at least the alignment was correct:
    Hey have you been in my roof space ! except my antenna is much bigger than that one .