Thread: Alternative to XBMC?

Thanks

Default Alternative to XBMC?

I'm wanting to purchase an Xbox 360 (I'm really wanting Halo 3 and Fable 2), but my financial manager won't let me unless I get rid of the Xbox original. Issue I have is that the original Xbox is my most used console purely for it's XBMC features - I've got a HDD on my PC with media files on it and I play it on the TV using the Xbox which is networked.

Currently I also have a Wii and PS3 (which I've never used for anything other than playing DVD/Bluray), and am looking to purchase the 360. Is there any way to make any of these into a capable replacement for the old XBMC?

I haven't looked at the PS3 much, but I've heard that Linux and Windows XP can be installed on it. A while ago there was some rumblings about Megabox or something along that name for it, but that doesn't seem to have ever taken off?

Any ideas/thoughts/comments?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

IIRC Don't take this as correct.

Doesn't the PS3 connect to media servers etc.
    If you use Windows Media player 11 you can create a media server from that and the PS3 should connect to that server and play back stuff. The only issue is the format.

This might help
    Last edited by ocd_csv; 20-04-09 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added link

Thanks

TVersity works well with the 360 - streams most formats, i use it to play tv/movie avi's. Unfortunately the menu system and browsing is no where near as good as the XBMC, and im not sure if the xbox will allow you to play the hd mpg4 files.

I would still keep the original xbox....there like 50bucks to buy and even less to sell...

Cheers, RHCP.
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Thanks

You already have a WII and a PS3 so why buy a 360 for 2 games ? must have too much time on your hands to have 2 or 3 consoles I f you want XBMC and play those 2 games , why not a media pc with XBMC on it and an emulator to play the 360 games on it ?

Thanks

I kepted orig xbox consoles .. for this exact reason ..best media centre there is ... x360 with media player 11+ sharing is crap ... been lots of files don't play and shit ..
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by loanrangiel View Post
    You already have a WII and a PS3 so why buy a 360 for 2 games ? must have too much time on your hands to have 2 or 3 consoles I f you want XBMC and play those 2 games , why not a media pc with XBMC on it and an emulator to play the 360 games on it ?
    Is there emulators for 360 games?

No, i don't game much at all.
    I have an original Xbox that really is only used for XBMC purposes and the odd multi player Halo when I have 3 mates around.
    The PS3 I bought as a Bluray player (I read that it was the best Bluray player as it was easy to upgrade and with the internal HDD it is the first Bluray 2.0 player or something like that) - in the 6 months that I've had it it's only been used for one Bluray movie and I've never owned a game for it. Does get used as a DVD player often though.
    And the Wii is a great console for multiplayers - mines gets a huge workout in Wii Sports, Guitar Heros/Rock Band 2, etc.
    I rarely play any single player games.

Thanks

I'm currently streaming videos from my pc wirelessly to my PS3 using a program called, funnily enough, PS3 MediaServer.

I've used others (such as winamp remote and tversity) but have found PS3 MediaServer to be the best by far.

And its freeware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loanrangiel View Post
    there is no need to critisize the guy for wanting a console to play 2 games.... that was not an answer to his question anyway ?

why the hell would you get a PC, put an emulator on it ? double handing and to much effort... ?

Yes, some people do have time on their hands, just like the time i got to write this message lol

twr7, i was looking for an alternative media center as well, hence the reason i came across this thread, xbmc is giving me the sh!ts these days.... keeps asking for a password to connect to my PC ?