Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone own a parrot ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Does anyone own a parrot ?

We recently purchased an Australian princess parrot which we hand raised from 5 days old. He is now 10 weeks old and has never seen other parrots as his eyes were closed when we got him. Here is a picture of one ( not mine )

They are very entertaining and quite funny and also a big change from only ever owning dogs before as pets. He is very tame due to being hand reared almost from birth and thinks he owns the place. We had to have his wings clipped as he kept sitting on the lights were would couldnt get him , so now he travels around the house on the polished floor boards like a hovercraft......its hilarious

Do do any other members own parrots or birds ?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    We recently purchased an Australian princess parrot which we hand raised from 5 days old. He is now 10 weeks old and has never seen other parrots as his eyes were closed when we got him. Here is a picture of one ( not mine )

They are very entertaining and quite funny and also a big change from only ever owning dogs before as pets. He is very tame due to being hand reared almost from birth and thinks he owns the place. We had to have his wings clipped as he kept sitting on the lights were would couldnt get him , so now he travels around the house on the polished floor boards like a hovercraft......its hilarious

Do do any other members own parrots or birds ?
    nice looking bird dude.

The kids have a cockateil, noisy,savage little bugger he is.

Thanks

That looks like a beautiful bird! We got a baby Galah (about 2 weeks old) a few months back and have hand reared it. It is very tame, will come when called and loves to play games (fetch, chases you around on the floor, etc).
    We haven't had to get its wings clipped yet as it goes outside into a large aviary, but it sometimes has fights with the ceiling fans in the house...

Thanks

We have a galah. She was rescued as a baby as she fell out of the nest. She has one eye and a bad leg. Our daughter found it and got permission to keep the bird as she couldnt live in the wild.
    We gave Mo a home and she fell for hubby. She knows straight away when he arrives home and squawks. Only talks when frightened and tolerates my cockertiels. However, if I get near her she tries to bite.
    I never wanted a bird for a pet but they have turned out a delight.
    hope you have fun with yours

Thanks

We have a scaley breasted lorikeet, and he's the most entertaining pet i've ever had. He talks, so we have to watch what we say as he picks things up really easily. He says shut up Zach ( the dog ) night night lori, hello lori, get off ( not what we first thought he was saying ) attack, scratch lori and a few other non descript words. He also wolf whistles, imitates my laugh, imitates the cockatiel, and whistles pop goes the weasel.
    He also has his wings clipped, and he loves to roll around on his back while you scratch his tummy. We've had him since he was a few weeks old.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Yes , they are fun and its funny how they react ( and attach ) themselves to different people.

My bird has a shower every 2-3 days as he is an inside " run of the house " bird and he falls asleep in the shower he likes it that much. He gets shampooed with baby shampoo as he constantly gets grubby. He doesnt like baths as much as showers.

He jumped in to a plate of dip the other day and was absolutely covered in it. His favourite food is mashed potatoe of all things , he stuffs his face with it and ends up with a mashed potatoe beard

Some friends also have a Princess Parrot and it is an absolute arsehole that bites everyone , which is unusual as they also hand reared it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Did you get your parrot from here
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

we had a cockateil named Jimmy. he whistled tunes and said whatup gangsta, of all things. he would go outside for a fly, and return to the verandah and sit on my shoulder. lovely pet.

Thanks

Its amazing what a human reared bird can get used to. I went to do some Archery up in the hills here (run through the hills shoot some arrows into bags with animals drawn on them), and before we started out we needed to do some "training" as there were people who hadn't used bows. A couple of guys came back with a Cockatiel on their shoulders and told us it had just landed there and was chatting away (we assumed it was someone's lost pet). It jumped over onto my shoulder as they talked. Kinda freaked me out because I was next shooter but it just stayed on my left (furthest from the arrow) shoulder. It was happy there the whole time, I couldn't believe that it had no problem with us shooting arrows and moving about.

The really funny thing was we left it with the manager and by the time we got back it had already learnt to imitate her mobile phone ring.

Thanks

I've got 9 budgies. Currently trying to figure out the cheapest way to make an Aivary for them.
    We also had 3 canaries, but one of them decided it didn't like planet earth.
    Didn't bother me. They're the Missus's and I'm not really fond of canaries.

Thanks

Default Ring necks

Hi there, i have hand raised an Indian ring neck from birth b4, he is now back in my aviary with some Blue/greys and has so much fun flying around to different parts of the aviary when im near by. When i go in and feed he still comes up for a scratch much to the shock of all the others in the cage. The blues freak out and squeal he just pops over over for a pat, quite funny watching the others.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aa23 View Post
    I've got 9 budgies. Currently trying to figure out the cheapest way to make an Aivary for them.
    We also had 3 canaries, but one of them decided it didn't like planet earth.
    Didn't bother me. They're the Missus's and I'm not really fond of canaries.
    I used fence capping to make the frame of mine all individual panels and then screwed them together, cost me next to nothing and easy to transport and move.

Thanks

here is my fistik. Hes an eclectus. he is hand reared and got him when he was weaned. I got him at 3 months and after 2 months he started talking. Hes vocab consists of about 20 words so far and is a cheeky little bugger. I drove 4hrs to Parkes to pick him up and he was worth the drive

Thanks

He's about 1 year and 3 months old when this pic was taken.

Oska arrives home in the travel cage, meets Sally the dog and the big cage can be seen(red) just to the right.

Here is a picture of Oska the Indian Ringneck Parrot. Albino, and when in the right light Oska appears to have a blue tinge through his feathers.

I got him when he was about 6/7 weeks old, he was just starting to nibble the seed and was still being hand fed. Being a honey eater he loves getting nectar plants when in season, bottle brush, gravillea, flowering gumtree etc and gets a honey supplement when not in season.

He says about 12 words, eg. "hello pretty boy", "Come and hop on". Oska can imitate the dogs bark, yap and howl, he does the phone really well.

When inside the house he comes out of the big cage and flies around.

He doesn't bite at all, very friendly to anyone who will pay him some attention.
    Oska loves to get in the shower and in the kitchen sink with the water running, he rolls over on his side and lies under the water spray till he is completely soaked.

He loves to sit on the dogs back, although the dog is not too keen about it, and heads under the chairs and tables hopeing to give Oska the brush.

Oska also luvs a cuddle and scratch.

Cheers
    machine
    Last edited by ssrattus; 18-02-08 at 09:48 PM. Reason: add pic

Thanks

machine where did you buy him from. Very nice bird indeed and was looking to get a ringneck also

Thanks

Hi akk,

I bought Oska from a breeder near Lake Illawarra(just south of Wollongong).

Being albino, he was only $40.

A lot of breeders don't want an albino, so they sometimes just kill them or give/sell them cheap to people who just want them for a pet.

It will be interesting to see (being a boy) if Oska gets a ring around his neck when he is about 2 years old.

Cheers
    machine

Thanks

mate have you got the details of the breeder. wouldnt mind an albino

Thanks

Got two Kings I'd almost swap them for a Princess.. nah love em too much.
    This male died, but we got another partner for her.

Thanks

Default Fantastic

Man, i would drive 4hrs for that bird or better still you could send it to me lol.
    He is a lovely bird
    mmm
    i want one lol

Quote Originally Posted by akk View Post
    here is my fistik. Hes an eclectus. he is hand reared and got him when he was weaned. I got him at 3 months and after 2 months he started talking. Hes vocab consists of about 20 words so far and is a cheeky little bugger. I drove 4hrs to Parkes to pick him up and he was worth the drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akk View Post
    mate have you got the details of the breeder. wouldnt mind an albino
    Hi akk,

Have sent breeders details in PM to you

Cheers
    machine

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast