Thread: Bringing up an application on 2 monitors

Thanks

Default Bringing up an application on 2 monitors

Hopefully this is the right forum for this...

At work we have an application that runs through internet explorer (to view cameras).

Currently on certain computers we have locked the PC down, so that the users can't access the start menu etc and the application runs in full screen mode.

We want to install some more computers that have two screens and bring things application up twice...
    On my desk I have two screens, I can open internet explorer twice and drag one of the windows to the second monitor but we want to automate this..
    So that when the user logs in, internet explorer opens up on both monitors.

On my computer when I open Internet Explorer the window opens up on whatever the last monitor was that I dragged a window too....
    So say I open IE and drag the window to monitor 2, every time I open IE after that, it opens on on monitor 2.

So is there something I can put in the command line that will force it to come up on a certain monitor?

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

there is a slightly messy way i can think of, by running firefox and inet explorer

Set the default open position(like you described) for iexplorer to monitor one and set firefox's to monitor 2 and bobs your uncle.

But then you have the inet explorer/firefox arguments and problems.

Jalorathis

Thanks

You could experiment with a batch file that changes the position of the IE screen by modifying the registry entry for it's position.

First backup your registry!!!!

I don't have dual monitors but the usual position (and most everything else for IE ) are in here:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Internet Explorer \Main]

So open IE in the first position, wait 5 seconds, click on start then run and type in regedit and press enter. Navigate to the above key and click on the “Main” to select it and then right click and export and save as position1.reg. Close regedit and IE. Open IE and move to the second position, wait 5 seconds and do the same regedit thing as above and saving as position2.reg. If these 2 files and the batch file are saved in the windows directory you won’t have to worry about paths.

Now open notepad and type in the lines below for your batch file..

Code:
    @echo off
    @echo off
    Start Regedit.exe /s position1.reg /wait
    Start http://www.google.com /wait
    Start Regedit.exe /s position2.reg /wait
    Start iexplore.exe http://www.austech.info
    then save as say position.bat.

where is the first url and the 2nd I am assuming that IE is your default browser.

To help trouble shoot the batch file leave the /S off the regedit line and if you get an error you can see what it is, /S is silent mode so requires no key entries and gives no error messages.

Now double click on position.bat and see what happens! When it works make shortcut for the batch file and put it in Startup
    Last edited by ssrattus; 15-02-08 at 12:23 AM. Reason: tidying up...

Thanks

I gave the whole registry thing a try and it seemed to work locally... but when I tried to add it to a domain login I had some issues..... might just need more tweaking.....
    Thanks for that tip, not sure if we can go with that though as it doesn't seem to be robust enough.... doesn't take much to put it out of wack....
    Its the only option at the moment though

Thanks

I guess when the operators log in they don't have enough rights to edit the registry... therefore the batch file won't work either.

Can you set up the video to allow apps to span across 2 monitors and have all the cameras on the one instance of IE, or is that not possible? Of course you may end up with the middle row of cameras split over 2 screens.