Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LG Plasma TV has no picture

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

See if they will do a credit and get the bottom board. If they won't help you just resell it on ebay.

It's hard for individuals fixing stuff because your only working on one product whereas a repair shop can handle ordering of multiple parts because common parts like these get used all the time.

Mick

Thanks

So you think it is probably the bottom buffer board and not the YSUS?

Thanks

To be quite honest I'm not 100% sure. But I'm more tending towards the bottom buffer.

Mick

Thanks

So after a postal strike I finally got the replacement bottom driver board and YSUS. I figured it had to be one of the two. Put them both in and...Exact same problem. No picture at all, unplug the top board and get picture on the top of screen only.

So whats left lol, power supply or the Zsus?

I tried the new bottom board with the old ysus - no go
    new ysus with old bottom board - no go
    and same with the top board.

I'm not worried about the price for the parts, I can sell them and get my money back. Just want the get the thing working again.

Thanks

One or all of those boards should have fixed the fault. I can't see what else it could be, it might be time to send it to a qualified tech to get a qoute and send the parts ordered back for credit.

Mick

Thanks

Default Lg 50pg10

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum while searching for those experiencing similar issues with their LG plasma. I purchased the 50PG10 just about 2.5 years ago and up until a few weeks ago it was running smooth. I went to turn the set on one evening and shortly after turning on, the screen went completely black. The set will power on as normal with a bright grey picture for a few short seconds and then go black. I followed the instructions posted earlier to disconnect each (driver?) board from the ysus but neither gave a picture past the few seconds of gray after start-up on their respective top and bottom positions of the screen. I did NOT hear any sort of noise when my picture went and have not tested the fuses on the ysus or zsus as I'm unsure as to how disconnect them.

Any further diagnoses assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have not yet contacted LG as my warranty is five months past its two years.

Thank you!

Devin

Thanks

I have a 50PG20D with the same problem.
    I thought I would have a fiddle around and (with the power unplugged) I pushed each component on the top control board on the YSus looking for any sign of a dry joint and then plugged in, switched on and the picture is perfect on everything but the top 8cm of the screen which is just red noise.
    Given that this is a worldwide problem it's the last time I buy LG. I have an LG DVD recorder which failed a year after purchase.

Thanks

Does anyone have diagram of the power supply of the 50PG20D ? I want to check the voltages of my fauly set..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Freddy View Post
    Does anyone have diagram of the power supply of the 50PG20D ? I want to check the voltages of my fauly set..

Most of the LG's have the voltages written on the boards next to the connectors. Well except for the VS and VA rails, but if you look at the Stickers on the back of the screen at the top you'll find the values for the VS and VA.

Whats actually wrong with it ?

Mick

Thanks

Default Supply voltages

Thanks

Did you even bother reading my last post ?

Last edited by mickstv; 11-07-12 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks

okay I appologise, I forgot how to post

Now have the back off it looks like the upper board YDRVTP as the top heatsink gets very hot. cooking smell,,, I took it off and found some blackend stuff ?? on the pads of ic 110, scraped it off with my finger nail and now it no longer gets hot, picture still crap..
    See photo,

Thanks

The top buffer board is very common for going faulty. The bottom section of the picture is a concern though.

From memory you can disconnect the faulty buffer board from the Ysus and disconnect from screen as well then the bottom half of the screen should show normal picture, if it does then it's only the top board that is faulty.

Power off then do the disconnecting and be careful not to damage the fine ribbon cables that run from the buffer board to the screen.

Mick

Thanks

Default Board disconected , still problem

Hi I disconected the upper buffer board and this resulted.

Looks like a problem with both.

It also goes to a black screen after a while ( sound still works okay )

If I want Your opinion,
    I will remove the Duct tape!

Thanks

I think the upper buffer board is the problem, but I'm still concerned that it may have another issue. Normally when either the upper or lower buffer boards are disconnected the opposite half of the screen either top or bottom should show a normal screen not have lines like yours is showing in the bottom half.

Hopefully someone else here that does LG's will have a look and offer some suggestions.

Mick

Thanks

Hi Blind Freddy
    I agree with Mickstv normally its just the upper buffer board but wont no till fit new one, it is strange not to get pic back on bottom 1/2 when disconnect upper ( may have control drive pcb fault as well but not common to have both fault at same time) if i had the job come to me with lines like the pic you sent would check the upper and lower if an IC was hot and can see the board been getting hot under pcb ( discoloured ) would disconnect like you have dun i no pic not come good at bottom but would take the chance and just change it as it must be faulty ,b4 you change it chq the z sus pcb chq fuse and the output diodes 2 legged on heat sink on output side to panel for s/c if ok i would go ahead and change the upper they should be about $70 and see what pic like then
    it is very hard to give good advice on a tricky and not strait forward fault can only try and put you in right direction

Thanks

Default Black screen of dead,,,

Okay a trip in town tomorrow then for the upper board,

But what does concern me is that Now after disconnecting the upper board ,
    the lowere screen showed black/grey lines , now no screen at all after putting the upper board back. removed it again and still the same..

I checked the power supply voltages and they are all within specs VA is down by .5V 59.6 not 60V

Still have sound though . removed the SUS board and looked for dry joints , looked ok but has two large srips of thick foam tape stuck along the main transistor/heatsink section of the board .. I left that alone.

I have a strong feeling that there is something else amiss ,,

Any further sufggestions,?/

Last edited by Blind Freddy; 13-07-12 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Missed info found the 8 diodes all measure ok
    If I want Your opinion,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nam View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a new member, hoping to see if anyone experienced the same problem, or have any suggestion as what to do.

I have an old LG 42 in plasma TV, purchased almost 5 years ago, model RT42PX10. It has been working fine until last Friday, when I turned it on, there was no picture, only sound. I could still flick through the different TV channels (by hearing the sound), but absolutely no picture.
    I think I have checked everything, but have come to conclusion that something has blown.

Any idea? in terms of what could have happened? is it worth repairing?

Thanks
    try to contact the manufacturers, maybe you are having problems with the picture tube of your lg tv

Thanks

Default Plasma TV

Hi, the post refers to a Plasma TV ,,, No cathode ray (picture) tube in these
    If I want Your opinion,

Thanks

Okay a trip in town tomorrow then for the upper board,

But what does concern me is that Now after disconnecting the upper board ,
    the lowere screen showed black/grey lines , now no screen at all after putting the upper board back. removed it again and still the same..

I checked the power supply voltages and they are all within specs VA is down by .5V 59.6 not 60V

Still have sound though . removed the SUS board and looked for dry joints , looked ok but has two large srips of thick foam tape stuck along the main transistor/heatsink section of the board .. I left that alone.

I have a strong feeling that there is something else amiss ,,

Any further sufggestions,?/

I would be rechecking all wire looms to make sure they are seated properly. I haven't worked on one of these for a long time, but check and see if it has a loom connecting the upper and lower buffer boards together, it will be a small loom and it will connect directly from the bottom of the top board to the top of the bottom board. If it has it make sure it's seated correctly.

Mick

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast