Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #*#* Telstra & ADSL 1 only

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default #*#* Telstra & ADSL 1 only

Bloody cheap arse T again. Another street with only ADSL 1 as telstra has not upgraded its line from a share lines. The exchange is ADSL 2 enabled. Any inf on Telscum & its directive from Gov to upgrade is cabling. My new ISP said they have to pay a premium to telscum to use its ADSL1 equipment.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Have you checked on

Which exchange are you?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Telstra ADSL 1 only

bambbbam, the exchange is Gepps X Adelaide

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wort View Post
    Bloody cheap arse T again. Another street with only ADSL 1 as telstra has not upgraded its line from a share lines. The exchange is ADSL 2 enabled. Any inf on Telscum & its directive from Gov to upgrade is cabling. My new ISP said they have to pay a premium to telscum to use its ADSL1 equipment.
    I'm hearing you Matey.
    My new place has an adsl2+ exchange but the house has a pair gain line.
    AAPT said dial-up only so I went with internode (telstra reseller) and at least got adsl 1500.
    Sucks big time...the bloody house is only 10 years old.

Thanks

I'm heary you to.....we are hooked up to a further away exchange when we have one only 500 meters away..and we were going to go on teltra wholesalers but we couldnt get adsl2+ becuase of the phone lines but if we go on the telstra site it says we are able to get it but if we ring them up they say our street isnt compatible with adsl 2+.....its bloody bullshit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wort View Post
    Bloody cheap arse T again. Another street with only ADSL 1 as telstra has not upgraded its line from a share lines.
    Share lines? Maybe its because I'm stuck behind a RIM, but I'm guessing that you are also stuck behind a RIM or some other similar multiplexer. Unfortanetly no matter what is done at the exchange you will never be upgraded, becuase the EGB (evil green box) would need to be upgraded and this pretty well means that new lines would need to be run to that box, so it will never happen.

IMHO this is why Australia needs the NBN, because there are so many places that can only get ADSL1 or even no ADSL at all (my place!), due to decisions made by Telstra in the 80s, 90s and even 00's

If you reckon this is bad, I have a document from Telstra website that claimed my RIM was upgraded, when it wasn't and at least 6 others in my area were upgraded when they weren't. I spent about a month talking to Telstra about it and they claimed they could only fix it, if I was a Bigpond member. The TIO sorted it out because they were making claims on their wholesale website that were misleading and could have mislead other ISPs into offering my services which I couldn't obtain. The reply I got from Telstra is so funny because it pretty well states that Telstra is untrustworthy (true, but I never thought they would say it) and shouldn't be relied on for information about your phoneline.

Oh and don't get me started on the "dial before you dig" information, if you follow that I dont have a phone line in my house (and neither does my neighbour), even though I have a PMG box outside my kitchen window.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

funny what sort of change a tin of petrol at the doors of a telstra exchange would bring about. A few might be without a phone for a few days but it would guarantee an upgrade.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

I'm starting to freak out now as well!
    We've just recently moved into a new house in a new estate (using the Bundoora Vic exchange).The estate is less than 5 years old. I've tried to get adsl 1 with a few different providers and no luck. Dodo aborted the setup because they claim no ports; TPG claimed no ports available at Telstra exchange, then on a second call the person said that adsl1 was not available because I have a pair gain line? WTF? Doe that mean I cannot get adsl at all? I called Telstra and i got the run around; one person said the contrary to another and so on. When I asked why I've got a pair gain line, they said it was the decision of the developers of the area - is that correct?

I don't know what to do now? Both my neighbours on both sides have an adsl1 connection, and I'm told I cany get one.

Thanks in advance.

JK

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JK200SX View Post
    We've just recently moved into a new house in a new estate (using the Bundoora Vic exchange).The estate is less than 5 years old. I've tried to get adsl 1 with a few different providers and no luck. Dodo aborted the setup because they claim no ports; TPG claimed no ports available at Telstra exchange, then on a second call the person said that adsl1 was not available because I have a pair gain line? WTF? Doe that mean I cannot get adsl at all? I called Telstra and i got the run around; one person said the contrary to another and so on. When I asked why I've got a pair gain line, they said it was the decision of the developers of the area - is that correct?

I don't know what to do now? Both my neighbours on both sides have an adsl1 connection, and I'm told I cany get one.

Thanks in advance.

JK
    Go to

and download "ADSL Enabled and Proposed Enabled Distribution Areas " report to find your DA code(distribution code) at Bundoora then download "ADSL capacity" report to find any spare nodes at your DA code exchange
    These usually get upgraded monthly and will at least tell you if telstra have any nodes free.
    Thats what I did when told by AAPT that I cannot get adsl because of a pair gain line. I found there WAS free nodes at my exchange...just not any AAPT ones and I eventually got ADSL 1500 with Internode (a Telstra reseller).
    So don't give up yet

Thanks

We've just recently moved into a new house in a new estate (using the Bundoora Vic exchange).The estate is less than 5 years old. I've tried to get adsl 1 with a few different providers and no luck. Dodo aborted the setup because they claim no ports; TPG claimed no ports available at Telstra exchange, then on a second call the person said that adsl1 was not available because I have a pair gain line? WTF? Doe that mean I cannot get adsl at all?
    TPG suck. Simple as this, when it comes to actually finding out what your line is, TPG suck, they dont care so make no effort at all for you. I tried this when I first went for ADSL, gave up and went through Internode and they actually checked it out with Telstra (on my request) and found out that I was on a pair gained line. If you are on a pair gain line and there are no ports on the minimux (if there is a minimux, which should give you the "no port error") then there is a chance you could get ADSL but you would have to wait for someone in the neighbourhood to give up their net access (unlikely). So I would say no.

I called Telstra and i got the run around; one person said the contrary to another and so on. When I asked why I've got a pair gain line, they said it was the decision of the developers of the area - is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

JK
    LOL Telstra give you the run around (its what they do), did they tell you to apply with Bigpond at all? They tried this with me constantly when I was trying to find out my line. They are correct that it was partly the developers decision, but its also partly their decision. They decided to go the cheapest possible route, and the developer signed off on that too. If you neighbours have ADSL then there are probably no ports at the minimux, so if you want one you have to convince people in your neighbourhood to give up their connection. I would suggest that you ring Conroy's office and get them to hurry up the NBN work, because thats probably the quickest way for you to get a decent connection.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    Go to

and download "ADSL Enabled and Proposed Enabled Distribution Areas " report to find your DA code(distribution code) at Bundoora then download "ADSL capacity" report to find any spare nodes at your DA code exchange
    These usually get upgraded monthly and will at least tell you if telstra have any nodes free.
    Thats what I did when told by AAPT that I cannot get adsl because of a pair gain line. I found there WAS free nodes at my exchange...just not any AAPT ones and I eventually got ADSL 1500 with Internode (a Telstra reseller).
    So don't give up yet
    OK,

I've found my DA code and checked the adsl capacity spreedsheet and
    it shows "No ports available" The line is also highlighted in Green.

So does this mean only that no ports are available and I cant get connected for the moment or forever?

Apart from dialup/ wireless are there any other options I can explore?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Apart from dialup/ wireless are there any other options I can explore?
    Know anybody in line-of-sight with ADSL?

A wireless LAN sharing their ADSL would work.

Thanks

Neighbours on both sides have adsl.
    I've an uncle with cable broadband 1.6km away, but not sure if he is in line of sight.

Premium Member
    Thanks

OK,

So does this mean only that no ports are available and I cant get connected for the moment or forever?
    As stated at the top of the page of the access broadband sheet

"This report is updated weekly. Submitted orders may go into Held status despite spare ports indicated below, as port availability will vary on a daily basis."

So I would say for the moment but how long the "moment" is will be the problem. If you phone telstra and start mentioning DA's and spare ports etc., maybe they will put you onto someone higher up who can give you a better idea...keep pestering the bastards until you get some answers
    Last edited by mandc; 24-06-09 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks

Hmm keep the DA info that you know quiet to start with and go from there would be the best bet. You will have to pester quite hard to get anywhere. I actually found out the best action is to get the phone number of higher up people (I got the GM for Telstra SA through google searches) and go from there.

Generally Telstra will reject an order if its on a RIM and the ports are full unless they are planning on adding more ports. Oh and on some RIMs they cant add more ports because there isn't the room in the cabinet (Telstra have built new cabinets in the past but they require a big commitment). I got burnt because we have a small cabinet here and Telstra decided running cable internet would be more cost saving when I got the neighbourhood up in arms about internet access.

Thanks

Thanks for the info....how do I check if I'm on a RIM?

Thanks

Oops, sorry about the terms. If you are on a DA code on the list you are on a RIM or a minimux, its just the "thing" telstra use to put your lines in. Its not even the correct term really, maybe I should have called it an EGB (Evil Green Box).

If you have worked out you are pair gained (you have it seems) and the DA you are on has no ports (seems so) then unfortanetly you can try and pressure Telstra into adding more (if there is room) or wait for someone to leave. If you see a "For Sale" sign in your neighbourhood reapply (or reapply fortnightly, which was a suggestion put to me by Internode).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I've got this issue myself at the moment. All that is available is ADSL1 and the only DSLAM in the exchange is Telstra. I wanted naked DSL, but not a chance of that.
    I'm torn because it was Telstra that spent the money and put equipment in, but the other ISPs want to sponge off Telstra. Of course the Big T knows it has everybody over a barrel in the same instance, and they know that other ISPs cannot even work together to provide any sort of competition or collaboration.

To make matters worse, I conceded that Telstra will get its money from line rental even if I don't use the phone. The line was already installed and connected. It has side tone and an ADSL carrier on it... but .... I'm still waiting. 9 days so far. Tomorrow I chase up some paperwork with the local council to prove to telstra that the line they already have installed is actually where everybody knows it is.

I'm impressed, I haven't encountered this kind of bureaucracy since my last holiday to Russia. I can't wait to get to the council and have them make me jump through a flaming hoop.

All this just for an ADSL1 connection which would have been done in 24 hours.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

Doesn't seem to matter what speed you have with Telstra.

Cheers
    enf
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

I've been a victim of the old "Telstra bonus" but not that bad. I had 20Gb added to my account overnight once. Fortanetly I'm on a liberty (I know better than to give Telstra extra $$$) account, but I had to ring up multiple time to get them to recredit my account and the only way it got pushed was I told them I would go to the TIO (I keep usage records through my router).

The best thing is they told me they had added a "credit note" to my account saying I would get the month free. I mentioned this to three different people and they all claimed there was no note, until I said, if the credit wasn't added as promised I would go to the TIO.

Its funny threaten anything with the TIO and Telstra jumps, dont threaten this and they tell you to "**** off"

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast