Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: foxtel dish for free tv

Thanks

Default tv signal

Quote Originally Posted by dlp View Post
    Hey mate have you got this sorted? If not let me know.

I install sat systems as a hobby and am willing to talk you through the process of getting set up for FTA if necessary I will come over and set your system up for the cost of fuel.

dp

Gday mate .Hope you can help us.. I live in Oxenford 4210 on the Gold coast and we where told by the owner of the place we rent that there is no tv signal and therefor we needed to get foxtel but i can see other antennas in the area close by, how can i test the signal without tv antenna before we spend the money. I was told the foxtel dish is no good for free to air tv. And my wife and i are getting sick of watching repeats all the time. my email address is obvq@ Australian yahoo

Casey

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The Foxtel dish CAN be used for a VERSION of FTA called VAST. This is a service for people who live in areas where NO Terrestrial TV is available but more of that later.
    I would check carefully with your neighbours who you see with a TV antenna and ask them what is available.

Go to this website and type in your HOME address and see what it advises.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 17-09-18 at 09:08 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skippy69 View Post
    Gday mate .Hope you can help us.. I live in Oxenford 4210 on the Gold coast and we where told by the owner of the place we rent that there is no tv signal and therefor we needed to get foxtel but i can see other antennas in the area close by, how can i test the signal without tv antenna before we spend the money. I was told the foxtel dish is no good for free to air tv. And my wife and i are getting sick of watching repeats all the time. my email address is obvq@ Australian yahoo

Casey
    Do you realise this thread is almost 10 years old?

The OP hasn't visited the site since he made the post you are quoting.

First, there's no way of telling what terrestrial reception would be like without testing with an antenna and a signal meter (or TV).

As for antennas near you... if it's the house next door and your roof and antenna (if you install one) would be around the same height, then there's a good chance your reception would be OK... but no guarantees without an actual signal test.

Oxenford has variable terrestrial coverage. Some parts are good, some average and some poor.

Check out the map in the link below to give you some indication.

You can enter your exact address for a better indication.

Thanks

Yee gads you say Oxenford. You're practically under the 63 meter transmit mast on Tamborine with 25KwEIRP. If someone told you no reception they are living in the past, when Gold Coast had an SFN with three transmission sites. That was the bad old days with a horrendus mush zone. Tamborine was taken out of the SFN in 2014. Other people in Oxenford still use VAST from when they WERE in the mush zone. I suggest you install a terrestrial phased array antenna aimed at the Tamborine tower.

Cheers
    Hos Here

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

If you have broadband, you can actually watch FTA on the "catch up" channels. Son has no aerial connected in his back room, and I currently am watching Channel 7 live via 7plus.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12