Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: foxtel dish for free tv

Thanks

Default foxtel dish for free tv

Hey guys, long time reader first time poster

I have a foxtel dish and twin LNB (use to have IQ)

What I want to know is it possible to use my existing setup to use for free tv reception.

Having said that what else would I need
    How much
    and where from.

I only ask as the dish was left behind and I'm sick of it sitting there, I should back charge foxtel for storage
    Anyway my digital reception through my aerial is crap - have replaced the aerial and have installed a new dedicated cable but still get crap tv signal strength.

Cheerrs

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool Another leaving the fold.

Quote Originally Posted by dozer View Post
    Hey guys, long time reader first time poster
    I have a foxtel dish and twin LNB (use to have IQ)
    What I want to know is it possible to use my existing setup to use for free tv reception.
    Having said that what else would I need
    How much
    and where from.
    I only ask as the dish was left behind and I'm sick of it sitting there, I should back charge foxtel for storage
    Anyway my digital reception through my aerial is crap - have replaced the aerial and have installed a new dedicated cable but still get crap tv signal strength.
    Cheerrs
    G'Day Cobber,
    To give you realistic advice, it would be prudent to know your approximate location. (Not precise.) Dish size and a rough idea of your expertise.
    Probably more info would help.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid "....

Thanks

Sorry....

South east Brisbane, bayside.

As for size of dish?? standard foxtel I believe its a 75cm

Experience? um not a lot, I'm slowly learning after just setting up my 46" LCD TV and home theater system as well as my experiments with digital TV reception through traditional TV aerial.

I'm an IT graduate but that I guess isn't relevant for this genre

Thanks

Talking Depends how much pocket money you have to spare?

Sorry....
    As for size of dish?? standard foxtel I believe its a 75cm
    Experience? um not a lot, I'm slowly learning after just setting up my 46" LCD TV and home theater system as well as my experiments with digital TV reception through traditional TV aerial.
    I'm an IT graduate but that I guess isn't relevant for this genre
    OK Cobber, that's enough to get the ball rolling.
    You wont be able to get the Aurora platform legit, unless you can entice someone that knows the bald headed guy down at the local.
    There is Select TV where you can get various packages here:

It's not clear at the moment whether they are still allowing card only DIY.
    I've yet to clarify this, but if you lean on them a little..........

There are plenty of God channels FTA if you are of that Persuasion.
    FTA ethnic abound, C/S via Dreams a possibility especially with your IT training.
    That should be enough to get you thinking and decide which avenue to pursue.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".......

Thanks

Ok to clarify a few things...

I'm only looking to get Australian FTA

<rant>
    I have had a guts full of fox and any other pay tv provider selling channels I don't need, I mean who watches 5 news channels anyway not counting FTA ones and If I lived 50 years ago perhaps TCM would be nice but I wasn't therefore I am not interested in paying for it.
    </rant>

I was under the impression I could get all Aus FTA channels via satellite and perhaps pick up a few more or at least experiment with dishes and satellites etc.

If my current satellite wont do the job then could you possibly point me in the direction of a setup that will, obviously the cheaper the better, don't want to spend thousands on a setup I wont use (at this stage anyway)

I would like a receiver that's capable of 1080p with HDMI, Dolby etc and maybe a PVR with 250+ HDD, I already own a HTPC and a Samsung PVR so perhaps a solution using my current equipment is possible?

I really just need a system that can pick up AUS FTA because I've already paid in excesses of $1000 trying to get a decent reception through conventional Aerial and it's still not acceptable - especially due to the weather we experience in QLD, damn I get wind above 10knots and my signal strength is below 50 with packet lost jumping up and down like crazy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Australian FTA terrestrial networks are not freely available, except ABC and SBS, on Optus D1 or via the Aurora package on Optus C1 (which you pay for the card and it's only intended for those in blackspot areas and travellers.)

Aurora also carries a relay of some regional commercial networks, 7 central (southern cross) WIN, GWN and Imparja.

It only has the main channels (eg: ABC1) no additional channels like ABC2 etc and no HD and it's in 4:3 ratio.... it looks poor compared to terrestrial signals.

ABC and SBS HD and all their SD channels are available on Optus D1 and no card is required for those, only an HD receiver of course, for the HD channels.

There is a new national satellite service planned to commence late this year for viewers who have terrestrial reception problems, for which you may qualify.

There has been no announcement which satellite will carry the new service, however it seems likely it will be Optus D3 when it finally gets launched later this year.

1080p?... there are no terrestrial or satellite transmissions using 1080p, only 1080i at best

Thanks

Really.... bugger!

Oh well, there goes that idea

Thanks all the same fellas

Premium Member
    Thanks

your best option atm is optus aurora If you don't want a paid for subscription service or realign your satellite

Thanks

...I was under the impression I could get all Aus FTA channels via satellite and perhaps pick up a few more or at least experiment with dishes and satellites etc.
    If you want to experiment try moving your dish about an inch to the left (standing behind). Don't change anything else. That should put you on Optus D2. Do a blind scan and see what you get. There are plenty of a FTA english language channels, but not necessarily what you're after. Don't forget to first place a marker on the pole indicating your current (Optus C1) position, in case you want to go back. I have a small dish sitting on an umbrella stand that I move about manually like that. I used a felt tip pen to indicate the positions of the satellites on the base and turn the pole by hand. Normally you would need a sat finder but D2, C1 and D1 (in that order) are more or less at the same elevation with C1 almost square on North. So don't tilt the dish!

Have fun (at your own risk)!

UFO

Thanks

MTV's post was on the money, I don't know what decoder box you've got but as the dish is already pointed at C1 all you need is an Optus Aurora card to get all ABC1, SBS, 7 Prime, 9 Imparja, and if you ask around someone may still have a working Goldie that will give you GWN and WIN WA.

Premium Member
    Thanks

[QUOTE=mtv;169241]
    There is a new national satellite service planned to commence late this year for viewers who have terrestrial reception problems, for which you may qualify.

MTV any idea on what channels this new service will carry? will it be the state chanel 9, channel 10 and channel 7

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

On Optus C1 if you just plugged in a receiver & scanned for the FTA channels, you could get about 11 channels

1. INFO 156 E
    2. Foxtel Help Channel
    3.Aljazeera
    4.NITV
    5.TVSN
    6.EXPO
    7.Dal M
    8.Dal 1
    9.Dal 2
    10.Dal 3
    11.Dal 4

Not a lot to watch there (of truly FTA) ,

& the Dal Channels are basically only test transmissions of sorts,

"FTA" in satellite terms means un-encrypted
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 30-04-09 at 11:49 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks

[QUOTE=zacker;169325]
    Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    MTV any idea on what channels this new service will carry? will it be the state chanel 9, channel 10 and channel 7
    From what I understand, it will be regional networks (Prime SC10 WIN plus ABC & SBS), but segregated into viewing areas. HD channels will be included.

Access will be via smartcard and you will receive channels that are allocated to your registered area. So it's like terrestrial.. you get the 'local' channels with 'local' ads & news, etc.

Thanks

Cheerrs
    As far as I know you cant use the dish for "free to air" unless you do what the others suggested and get pay TV.

I moved into a house where the rreception was crap.

I recabled from the ariel to the TV with quad core coax with the foxtel type conectors. Also i have an reception amplifier.

The amp costs about $50 and the cable about $2 to $3 per metre. I went a little more adventurous and put in wall plate for about $10. All items from Jaycar.

May seem expensive but wout be cheaper in the long run than getting Pay TV

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hopper View Post
    As far as I know you cant use the dish for "free to air" unless you do what the others suggested and get pay TV.

I moved into a house where the rreception was crap.

I recabled from the ariel to the TV with quad core coax with the foxtel type conectors. Also i have an reception amplifier.

The amp costs about $50 and the cable about $2 to $3 per metre. I went a little more adventurous and put in wall plate for about $10. All items from Jaycar.

May seem expensive but wout be cheaper in the long run than getting Pay TV
    Yeah that is what I did almost exactly but still on windy days lose signal.... guess I'm destined to pay for TV - looks like fox will get my money after all

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

You could have your reception Assessed by a professional installer,

& he could make recommendations,

which may include, he could do something to bring your terrestrial reception up to a good standard,

or worst case scenario, say nothing more can be done except get foxtel for the time being,

but, in a short time I hear Freeview will be on satellite (details are unclear ATM), just have to wait till Optus D3 is launched & becomes active in a few months time,

Cheers
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks

dozer,

You said you've paid in excess of $1000 so far trying to receive FTA terrestial, but you lose signal when the wind blows.

Is reception ok when it's not windy?

What work has been done so far, what tests have been performed, what signal measurements do you have (if any) Channel power, BER, MER, NR

Was this work performed by professional installers using digital field strength meters/spectrum analysers?

What area are you in?

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    dozer,

You said you've paid in excess of $1000 so far trying to receive FTA terrestial, but you lose signal when the wind blows.

Is reception ok when it's not windy?

What work has been done so far, what tests have been performed, what signal measurements do you have (if any) Channel power, BER, MER, NR

Was this work performed by professional installers using digital field strength meters/spectrum analysers?

What area are you in?

Thanks

Hey mate have you got this sorted? If not let me know.

I install sat systems as a hobby and am willing to talk you through the process of getting set up for FTA if necessary I will come over and set your system up for the cost of fuel.

dp

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dlp View Post
    Hey mate have you got this sorted? If not let me know.

I install sat systems as a hobby and am willing to talk you through the process of getting set up for FTA if necessary I will come over and set your system up for the cost of fuel.

dp
    Buddy, You seem to be answering posts that are very old!! This is the second one I've seen you answer.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast