Thread: Trying to create my first wireless network

Thanks

Default Trying to create my first wireless network

Hey,

Bought myself a new computer yesterday and am trying to get a network up and running. The computer is running Vista and has a TP-Link WN851N, Wireless PCI installed. I'm using a 3 wireless broadband modem.

I've gotten as far as having a network created. Both my laptop and my Wii can both find the network but for some reason can't connect to it to access the internet.

Obviously i am doing something wrong.... is there anyone out there who can tell me what? And hopefully how to fix it?

Carterman1

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

I would say no DHCP server running. Have you tried manually assigning IP addresses with the PC as the gateway/dns?
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

If I understand this correctly, you want to give your laptop (and possibly the Wii console) access to the internet via the Vista PC which is hosting your "3 mobile Wireless" adapter, Is this correct?

If this is the case, you need to setup Internet sharing on your Vista PC. See for a guide to setting this up. If you Google "Internet Sharing" I'm sure you'll find plenty of resources and guide on how to set this up. -Hope that helps.

Thanks

Sounds like CS is not setup. (re: GavinSv post)
    Was easiest once broadcast SSID was enabled. Mine I had to change the default to AP (access point) before the laptops would find it.

I just set mine up tonight...( man its slow even @ 108mb/s) not that I'm getting that speed at the Mo' (transfer 7 movies over. WTF 42mins'... bugger that plug in the cable)

mine is a different setup mind you.
    modem->desktop lan card1 ->desktop lancard 2 (CS landcard2) -> switch ->ap

edit: once its working. dont forget to change the default admin password, enable wpa2 encryption (if you have it), and filter MAC addresses. even disable broadcast SSID .;P (yours will be different anyway)
    Last edited by z1gg33; 01-05-09 at 09:00 AM.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.