Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New freeview channels?

Thanks

Default New freeview channels?

Does any one know when those new 15 HD channels will pop up with the freeview channels? I herd before that they will appear begining of may which is around now.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Wrong unfortunately...no NEW 15 channels.
    You already have a mixture of these, depending where you live..
    ABC,ABC2,ABCHD,SBS1,SBS2,SBSHD,NINEHD,NINE,7HD,7,O NEHD,TEN

There is muted to be a new ABC3 (kids), 7 and 9 have yet to release there plans, and an SBS3.

So, until 7 and 9 do something, there are no NEW 15 channels.

It's all done with smoke and mirrors

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

yes, its a ploy to get you to buy a set top box, nothing else.

for those of us who have stb's, we have had those channels for years, but they have all been the same as you watch on analog lol

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    we have had those channels for years, but they have all been the same as you watch on analog lol
    The main channels are. You don't get the additional channels on analogue (ABC2 SBS2 etc)

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The main channels are. You don't get the additional channels on analogue (ABC2 SBS2 etc)

opps forgot about them......

Thanks

but not all of them are HD why?

Thanks

2, 7, 9, 10, Sbs all have a SD and HDD channel, thats = 10
    Each channel can now have an extra channel (5) = 15
    Yes i know there is more Abc 2 ect, but thats how Freeview makes 15
    10 has already started with "One"

Thanks

This pretty much sums it up

Thanks

The television advertisements give (many) people the idea that a FREEVIEW branded set top box is needed to access these 'new channels'.

Any (suitable) HD STB will allow you to watch them all and I reckon the advertisements are a 'con'. You can watch the (different, sometimes) programming (including the HD stuff) even using your old Standard Definition CRT TV if you buy a HD STB which has an SD output connector.

I bought a $79 'OLIN' HD STB which has the necessary SD output socket (which could be used to record the HD stuff in SD using a standard VHS recorder or DVD Recorder) and the HD programming looks very good - even better than the SD channels - because of the higher service stream bitrate.

I am not going to toss out my SONY WEGA CRT TV and buy a HD-TV !

I read somewhere that 'FREEVIEW' branded PVRs do not have the ability to fast-forward through the advertisements recorded during a movie - 'everyday' PVRs will - and it's the only way to watch a movie on commercial television ! Press the FF button for a few seconds and the three-or-four minute advert breaks are skipped......perhaps someone with a 'FREEVIEW' branded PVR can comment as to the ability of the advert-skipping feature.

I also heard somewhere that the HD services have 'MACROVISION' or similar to prevent the recording of movies etc. - is there any truth in this ?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MadMAN View Post
    but not all of them are HD why?
    Insufficient bandwidth

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulbous View Post
    The television advertisements give (many) people the idea that a FREEVIEW branded set top box is needed to access these 'new channels'.

Any (suitable) HD STB will allow you to watch them all and I reckon the advertisements are a 'con'. You can watch the (different, sometimes) programming (including the HD stuff) even using your old Standard Definition CRT TV if you buy a HD STB which has an SD output connector.

I also heard somewhere that the HD services have 'MACROVISION' or similar to prevent the recording of movies etc. - is there any truth in this ?
    Freeview branded STB's are required to have the ability to decode mpeg4 signals in addition to mpeg2.

mpeg4 allows more channels to use the same bandwidth that mpeg2 uses, due to better compression.

Australia currently uses mpeg2, but is planning to implement mpeg4 in the future.... but it will probably be a very long time into the future, so any existing mpeg2 STB will work on the current digital system for a long time yet.

Yes, HD has a copy-protection system.. HDCP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulbous View Post
    ......perhaps someone with a 'FREEVIEW' branded PVR can comment as to the ability of the advert-skipping feature.
    I haven't got one of these boxes but rest assured that if I were an advertiser and FREEVIEW authorised and sanctioned a way of avoiding my ad, I'd be pretty p'd off! Another oxymoron (I love that word): Commercial free commercial television. Still, if it's real, then I stand dumbfoundedly corrected.

I have an Oarsman Video Sender/RF modulator, it takes a video signal input (even from my HDTV STB) and converts it to clean PAL RF and transmits it on any UHF frequency between Channels 32 and 40. Alternatively, it has RF out. I can record what I want, but, unfortunately not in HD. Only cost me $20.00.

UFO

Premium Lager

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ufosarereal View Post
    I can record what I want, but, unfortunately not in HD. Only cost me $20.00.

UFO
    HA, so much for your superiour alien intelligence!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    HA, so much for your superiour alien intelligence!!!
    Sometimes, a clean, simple solution to a pressing problem using available resources is the more intelligent course of action.

UFO

Thanks

so say if someone had a HD tv or HD stb and they connected it to a vcr....can you record the HD channels with the vcr or not???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rami23 View Post
    so say if someone had a HD tv or HD stb and they connected it to a vcr....can you record the HD channels with the vcr or not???
    Rami you can't generally record HD directly due to encryption. With the video sender/RF modulator I mentioned above (which I've had for about 4 or 5 years now), what you're essentially doing is converting any analogue video input into a UHF RF transmission consisting of just the PAL image scanlines. That video input can come from any source, including a DVD player or HDTV source, as long as it has RCA composite output. The transmission can then be received on any TV in the house (or the neighbour's if they're close enough) tuned to the same frequency (usually using an indoor antenna). Recording on a DVD or VCR is simply a matter of tuning the recorder to the same frequency or using the modulator's RF out and a cable. Note that the recording won't be HD, but realistically speaking, most people are still using their old CRT with an STB connected via composite RCA anyway.

UFO

Thanks

LOL 15 channels. Has anyone noticed the new freeview ad says "5 new channels", but doesn't make it obvious what they are counting as a new channel (is One a new channel, is ABC2 a new channel).
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Premium Lager

Thanks

Are the TV Guide channels counted in that "5 new channels" lol

Thanks

so what will come up if i try to record HD ..... i know the quality wont be the same but will there still be a picture on the recording or not?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rami23 View Post
    so what will come up if i try to record HD ..... i know the quality wont be the same but will there still be a picture on the recording or not?
    Yes, Rami, there will be a picture on the recording and of a very high RF quality if your source is close or you use a shielded cable. However, remember that this will only work if the modulator only transmits the onscreen scanlines, ignoring the rest. Modern video senders probably won't do that because of DMA.

UFO

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast