Thread: Holden Techline

Thanks

Default Holden Techline

Hi All,

Is there anyway to get Holden's Techlines (think that is what they are called) for a VY Adventra?

For those that dont know what the Techlines are, they are "bulletins" that are sent out from Holden to dealerships so that the mechanics are aware of major issues "IF" a customer comes in with the problem (not that they will inform the owners of these problems).

It took Holden 3 years to fix a major issue on mine, which they swore blindly wasnt a problem and when a Techline was found on the issue, it was fixed promptly.

I have more major issues that Holden are saying are NOT issues, yet I have contact with a few people that have the same car and dont exhibit the same problems.

So, I am hoping I can get all the techlines to see if one of them states my issues.

Thanks,
    Rob

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Can I ask what the issues are? I know the power steering can be noisy, the volume and channel changing buttons on the steering wheel sometimes don't work, the left front door lock actuator fails, the door protector strips crack and the list goes on. There is a Commodore forum you can find through google. Being a VY, it would be out of factory warranty.

Thanks

what is the exact issue you have... ill look it up for you

Thanks

Yep, a forum out there that is to do with "just commodores" is the way to go. Should have all the answers your after.

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies..

Yes, I have had the DRIVERS front door lock actuator fail, but it took the dealership 5 times to fix it, then they had to replace the computer to get it to work...

Mine is still in warranty as I did a deal and got 6 years (200000KM)...

The Adventra is the SX6, 190 KW engine and has done just on 70000 km.

The main issue is that I cannot go over 100kph. Once I do, I get a reverberation throughout the car. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like when you run over the white lines on the side of the freeways with bumps on them and you get that brrrrrrr sound. However, the reverb I am getting is a lot more dull than tyres running over those bumps. When it occurs there is a decrease in speed, and when it is on Cruise Control, that obviously counter acts to keep the speed up. The faster you go, the reverb is still there, BUT doesn’t increase in speed or pitch (between 105 to 120kph). The only way to stop it is to back off down to 100 kph or slower. I still think the problem is there, but doesnt reverb throughout the car. Also, after this, under acceleration, there seems to be a lot of acceleration vibration. It is not wheel balance has I have had that checked. It is more of, just guessing, a faulty bearing. I think it is a bearing on one of the pulleys on the engine as when the engine is idling, and you have you head under the hood, there seems to be a dry/faulty bearing noise coming from the top front of the engine, passenger side.

The other issue I have is a vibration when coasting and you apply a little acceleration. It is like a labouring vibration when you have a manual and need to change gears. The dealership tells me it is harmonics, which is a load of rubbish, as this issue only occurred after they replaced the computer (at about 50000km) to fix the actuator. They also say, it has the latest firmware for the gearbox/gear changes.

Each time I go to the Dealership with these issues, they have selective deafness, or drive around the block and say nothing is wrong. The wont go onto the freeway.

From day one, I had a major issue with a Cyclic Knocking coming from the rear. They replaced the diff twice, then told me it was harmonics again. It wasn’t until I put a formal complaint into Holden Customer Service, that magically the Service Manager could hear the issue, and magically a techline appeared (that had been around for a few years), that matched my problem exactly.. That took them 3 years to fix. The car is about 3.5 years old now.

Thats why I want to get hold of Techline to go over all of them, hopefully finding one that matches my problems, so I can then tell the dealership, rather than going through the BS of proving that there is a problem.

Thanks,
    Rob

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB0135 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies..

Yes, I have had the DRIVERS front door lock actuator fail, but it took the dealership 5 times to fix it, then they had to replace the computer to get it to work...

Mine is still in warranty as I did a deal and got 6 years (200000KM)...

The Adventra is the SX6, 190 KW engine and has done just on 70000 km.

The main issue is that I cannot go over 100kph. Once I do, I get a reverberation throughout the car. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like when you run over the white lines on the side of the freeways with bumps on them and you get that brrrrrrr sound. However, the reverb I am getting is a lot more dull than tyres running over those bumps. When it occurs there is a decrease in speed, and when it is on Cruise Control, that obviously counter acts to keep the speed up. The faster you go, the reverb is still there, BUT doesn’t increase in speed or pitch (between 105 to 120kph). The only way to stop it is to back off down to 100 kph or slower. I still think the problem is there, but doesnt reverb throughout the car. Also, after this, under acceleration, there seems to be a lot of acceleration vibration. It is not wheel balance has I have had that checked. It is more of, just guessing, a faulty bearing. I think it is a bearing on one of the pulleys on the engine as when the engine is idling, and you have you head under the hood, there seems to be a dry/faulty bearing noise coming from the top front of the engine, passenger side.

The other issue I have is a vibration when coasting and you apply a little acceleration. It is like a labouring vibration when you have a manual and need to change gears. The dealership tells me it is harmonics, which is a load of rubbish, as this issue only occurred after they replaced the computer (at about 50000km) to fix the actuator. They also say, it has the latest firmware for the gearbox/gear changes.

Each time I go to the Dealership with these issues, they have selective deafness, or drive around the block and say nothing is wrong. The wont go onto the freeway.

From day one, I had a major issue with a Cyclic Knocking coming from the rear. They replaced the diff twice, then told me it was harmonics again. It wasn’t until I put a formal complaint into Holden Customer Service, that magically the Service Manager could hear the issue, and magically a techline appeared (that had been around for a few years), that matched my problem exactly.. That took them 3 years to fix. The car is about 3.5 years old now.

Thats why I want to get hold of Techline to go over all of them, hopefully finding one that matches my problems, so I can then tell the dealership, rather than going through the BS of proving that there is a problem.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Wow Rob
    Mate that is serious problems. As was mentioned before, google for "just commodores" and you will find a very informative commodore site with guys that are very cluey.
    Hope you find an answer.
    Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Wow Rob
    Mate that is serious problems. As was mentioned before, google for "just commodores" and you will find a very informative commodore site with guys that are very cluey.
    Hope you find an answer.
    Cheers
    Thanks Keith..... I wish the Holden Dealership would see it as a serious problem.

I have just found "just commodores"... Cant understand why I have never found this forum before.

Thanks,
    Rob

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Hmmm.....tail shaft bent/out of balance, seized universal joints, center bearing (if tail shaft is 2 piece) is what comes to mind.

What you are describing sounds like drive line.

Is the Adventra a 4wd model? If so more shafts to check.

Edit; if you want to be a real prick, put the car up on chassis stands and drive it while in the air.

The vibration will be very noticeable when someone sticks their head underneath for a look.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Hmmm.....tail shaft bent/out of balance, seized universal joints, center bearing (if tail shaft is 2 piece) is what comes to mind.

What you are describing sounds like drive line.

Is the Adventra a 4wd model? If so more shafts to check.

Edit; if you want to be a real prick, put the car up on chassis stands and drive it while in the air.

The vibration will be very noticeable when someone sticks their head underneath for a look.
    Yep, AWD....

I thought about drive line also, but with so many shafts....??? At one stage, the Holden Rep told them to replace the centre drive shaft (for another issue) but they didnt.. Around that time, the car didnt have these issues though.

I just need something to take to Holden for them to fix it (under my extended warranty of course)..

Ta,
    Rob

Thanks

The center drive shaft is the longest and heaviest.

If its 2 piece the center bearings can get play and really let out a vibration.

Ive seen many cars have this fail and it really lets out a bad vibration.

Now some food for thought.

Is it permanent 4wd (always in 4wd mode)?

If so ive seen some cars do what you are describing when the front and rear tires are different sizes.
    Check your tire pressures, make sure they are all the same too.

What can happen is that when your driving the transmission is letting out even drive over the front and rear, when one end has a different outer circumference wheel/tire package, the center diff can bind up and in some cases destroy itself.

As i mentioned, put the car in the air and drive it, it will show the problem quickly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    The center drive shaft is the longest and heaviest.

If its 2 piece the center bearings can get play and really let out a vibration.

Ive seen many cars have this fail and it really lets out a bad vibration.

Now some food for thought.

Is it permanent 4wd (always in 4wd mode)?

If so ive seen some cars do what you are describing when the front and rear tires are different sizes.
    Check your tire pressures, make sure they are all the same too.

What can happen is that when your driving the transmission is letting out even drive over the front and rear, when one end has a different outer circumference wheel/tire package, the center diff can bind up and in some cases destroy itself.

As i mentioned, put the car in the air and drive it, it will show the problem quickly.
    Thanks Godzilla.. Always like reading your answers.

Yes, it is permanent 4WD (AWD) (I think the ratio on the transfer case is 65 rear, 35 front).

All of the tyres are the same size/type etc (I always get a set of new tyres, rather than replacing one or two) and these are about 10000KM old. I actually changed them as I suspect the old tyres originally. I have checked the pressure and they are all at 32psi.

I think it is a two piece drive shaft to the rear, single to the front from the transfer case.

You have provided some valueable information.. I think putting the car in the air is the next thing..

I was thinking of putting it on a Dyno... And AWD's go on a Dyno?

Thanks,
    Rob

Thanks

There are 4wd dynos, just ask to make sure they have one that runs all 4.

Performance tuners have them for GTR's, EVO's and WRX's.

4wd tuners have them for off roaders.

Thanks

Holden forums should help, i got onto Hyundia Webtech from a SanteFe forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz808 View Post
    Holden forums should help, i got onto Hyundia Webtech from a SanteFe forum
    I found the Holden forum (just commodores) and have had NO people answer my question..

Least you guys do.

Thanks
    Rob

Thanks

I've got the same Knocking noise at about 80km/hr with my LX8. i have found that the rear axles are jamming up; the middle of the axle is no longer floating, making the knocking noise at the certain speed and load. I still don't know what is making them fail? I now suspect wind-up between the front and rear differentials, I'm going to get that checked out. Hopefully i'll have a fix for you soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chapelhead View Post
    I've got the same Knocking noise at about 80km/hr with my LX8. i have found that the rear axles are jamming up; the middle of the axle is no longer floating, making the knocking noise at the certain speed and load. I still don't know what is making them fail? I now suspect wind-up between the front and rear differentials, I'm going to get that checked out. Hopefully i'll have a fix for you soon.
    It's called CYCLIC-KNOCKING. There is a Techline about it (and a fix).

Rob

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

New shafts and super gluing the diff

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I had a vibration in my crapoladoor from new and was only evident when towning my boat. All I can say is bleeping holden dealers but it turned out to be a loose harmonic balancer! While at another dealer getting the crank angle sensor replaced, this was found by accident as a bit of oil was weeping from the seal so it was investigated . So just make sure the bolt is tight that holds it on.

Leroy