Thread: Star Trek (2009)

Thanks

Default Star Trek (2009)

It would be easy to be hyper-critical of Star Trek (2009) and tear it apart block by block but this would be contrary to the spirit of the franchise. It matters nought that the unleashing of a black hole in the midst of our solar system results in little consequence to the neighbouring planets (or galaxies, for that matter); or that Simon Pegg's Scotty bears zero resemblance to James Doohan; or that an unlikely intra-crew love affair will require some significant (and potentially fascinating) narrative acrobatics in order to segue future franchise instalments back into Gene Roddenberry's timeline. Star Trek is about the fun, the fantasy, and the politics - elements which are tied but loosely to reality - and in this charge, Hollywood hitmaker JJ Abrams' prequel to the seminal 60's sci-fi TV series succeeds admirably.

The nostalgia factor is high so naturally the proceedings must be commensurate with Trek Lore lest Abrams suffer the hex of a trillion Tribbles. So accordingly Mr Spock must deliver his mandatory "live long and prosper" line whilst gesturing the corresponding salute; Scotty must declare, "I canna change the laws o' physics, Capt'n!" (or something similar); the loss of an hitherto unknown crew member must perish during an off-Enterprise expedition; and there must be the obligatory big explodey things, sleek techie space ships, breathtaking hemlines on Uhura's tunic and mean-looking tatooed aliens resembling Chopper Read. With all the boxes duly and dutifully ticked, the Trekkies/Trekkers/Roddenberrites/Starfleet Cadets (or whatever the hell they call themselves these days) are appeased.

With it's young spunky talent and incumbent soap opera tendencies, the film teeters on the edge of Star Trek 90210 but crucially remains on the fun side of saccharine melodrama. The enjoyable cast have a wonderful time caricaturing their celebrated elder selves resulting in a plethora of in-jokes which will keep the fans in giggles. Of particular note is Karl Urban's playful rendition of Bones McCoy and it's a credit to Simon Pegg's performance that he so successfully pulls off his Scotty despite his unDoohan-like appearance. Winona Ryder's appearance, however, is nothing short of mysterious considering she spends all her screen time in aged makeup. Why not just cast a 60 year old? Perhaps her flashback scenes failed the final cut? Leonard Nimoy makes his obligatory cameo, indeed the Back To The Future plot seems derived specifically to get him in it; a point further supported by the contrived means by which he is united with the young James T Kirk, subsequently MacGuffining the fledgling Starfleet Captain back into the story. But be it as it may, it's always a pleasure seeing the big fella with the big voice don the pointy ears just one more time (again). Oddly, though, The Shat™ is nowhere to be seen.

Gunning for the fun end of the spectrum, Star Trek is undeniably good, solid, undemanding entertainment.

7.5 out of 10.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

just a little extra info
    if you want the "complete" prequel story, there is a comic called "Star Trek Countdown" that explains the story of why the bad dude and spock are from the future, well worth checking out if you want to understand the story a lot better.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Thanks

we watched this one this morning......we loved, then again I'm a bit biased being a bit of trekkie..

But I will say this.....no one can do Mr Spock like Leonard Nimoy, as good as what the new spock is, he just quite doesn't do it.

JJ Abrams directed this one and has done a great job particularly when JJ Abrams stated he never did like star trek, but he gives it his all, the special FX were nothing but stunning in this. must go and see this at the movies to get the full effect.

9 out of 10 for me, even though I'm biased me thinks you will llike.
    Democracy & Ignorance = A Winning Combination

Thanks

Very much enjoyed this dont know how the next gen crew will take it but if you grew up with the original this one is very good....

8.5/10

Thanks

Saw it on Saturday night, very good job of a prequel. I didn't believe they could do it, given the spin off shows but this is good.

Thanks

saw it at the movies about 3 weeks ago or so... im not a huge Star Trek fan but I thought the movie was pretty good i give it a 8/10...

Thanks

Default Hello

I watched that movie its nice and good picturisation,,,,