Thread: Anybody here into Car audio SQ setup?

Thanks

Default Anybody here into Car audio SQ setup?

just curious is anybody here into automotive audio setups? large, and SQ?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I've had one of my elitist associates thinking that the CD\MP3 deck and amps and speakers were amazing until he worked out that the CD hadn't been changed in two hours; does that count? The effeminate sneering and bullshit after that was a complete change of tune.

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

It is rare to find a quality audio installation in a car these days. It seems to be all about two things - THUMP and LOUD.

In fact, I wonder why people bother with mid range or top end at all. Just throw a couple of subs in the car and be done with it.

Think of the money you could save on not buying extra amps and speakers!

I remember when "sound-offs" were all the rage. Let's see who can build the biggest, loudest, most outrageous car sound system. Let's see who can blow their windows out (literally) and permanently deafen themselves in the process.

I think the comps started off in the right way, but soon it came down to how much money you had to throw at the whole thing. When it got to that point, there was no more competition. I don't think they even have sound-offs any more.

When you have to start putting truck alternators into a car and filling the boot with batteries just to run the thing, what's the point?

I think the most interesting system I saw in a motoring magazine was a guy that had customised his BMW and it had tweeters that rose up out of the dash (motorised) and the system was powered with valve amplifiers (custom built to run off 12 volts).

Total system power was around 60 watts off memory, but that would have been one sweet sounding audio setup.

The pencil-necked tossers that drive around today with cars that are vibrating every loose panel and the number plate because of excessive bass would not know the first thing about quality. They believe quality sound is what comes out of an iPod.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Studio1 View Post
    The pencil-necked tossers that drive around today with cars that are vibrating every loose panel and the number plate because of excessive bass would not know the first thing about quality. They believe quality sound is what comes out of an iPod.
    Just as long as they and their mates think it's 'fully sic...mate'

Thanks

It is rare to find a quality audio installation in a car these days. It seems to be all about two things - THUMP and LOUD.

In fact, I wonder why people bother with mid range or top end at all. Just throw a couple of subs in the car and be done with it.

I remember when "sound-offs" were all the rage. Let's see who can build the biggest, loudest, most outrageous car sound system. Let's see who can blow their windows out (literally) and permanently deafen themselves in the process.

I think the comps started off in the right way, but soon it came down to how much money you had to throw at the whole thing. When it got to that point, there was no more competition. I don't think they even have sound-offs any more.

When you have to start putting truck alternators into a car and filling the boot with batteries just to run the thing, what's the point?

I think the most interesting system I saw in a motoring magazine was a guy that had customised his BMW and it had tweeters that rose up out of the dash (motorised) and the system was powered with valve amplifiers (custom built to run off 12 volts).

Total system power was around 60 watts off memory, but that would have been one sweet sounding audio setup.

Amen to that mate. Have always been into sound, I remember when i was 19 and had my first car. Pimped it out with sound, went to a few sound comps but it slowly changed to as you said, person with the most money and the loudest / biggest sub won. Then they became less and less popular - pity really.

Thanks

Put a quality amp and some very high quality splits in the front.
    Thats all you need to make your ears almost bleed.
    Almost as good as a good set of cans.

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Just as long as they and their mates think it's 'fully sic...mate'
    Well, the last time I had someone tell me their car or stereo system was "sick" I suggested they take it to the vet or a hospital. I was greeted with a blank look.

Thanks

thats why im asking about SQ not SPL....

look, if you can get a SQ car to go VERY loud.. i.e that bmw e36 in 1999/2000? won every comp it enterd, got front cover of the american mag thats awesome... he got like 150 db through his HORNS

my car will be getting a SQ install VERY soon, depending what the installer recommends... not sure yet...

Thanks

Wog what you got in mind so far and what vehicle is it going in?