Thread: Best Range Router

Thanks

Default Best Range Router

Hey Guys,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice.

I am trying to extended the coverage and speed of my wireless home network. The router i have is situated at the front of the house attached my desktop computer and needs to cover all the way to the back of the house where several laptops are used and Tivo.

My current router is a 'Netgear Rangemax G Mimo' I was looking at purchasing the "Neatgear RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N ROUTER" however i have read that its not true dual band and there are routers with better coverage, im just not sure which ones they...

Seeing as quite a few of the devices around the house have an inbuilt 802.11g wifi i know that changing router wont increase there speed however i have a 'low' connection on a lot of devices and want to make it strong.

If more information is required please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice someone might be able to offer, oh the router doesn't have to be Netgear i have just found they are quite reliable compared to a Belkin i once had.

Regards,
    Deathknight

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Oh, my internet is Optusnet Cable, just in case that helps at all! So i dont need an ADSL router!

Thanks

I would use DD-WRT compatible router i.e WL-520GC in client mode to your router your devices would then login to the WL-520GC at full strenght whilst the router maintains the wirless to wirless link with your router. I have run dreamboxes like this flawlessly for ages.
    DM500s Black with rear on/off switch $99 inc post , DM800 sim 82 $250 inc post, DM800SE $310 inc

Thanks

I would agree with Gado. I stream movies to my XBox360 using this method. Signal was very low prior to this, but I now stream without any glitches.

However, as the laptops are probably in different parts of the house, you could also look at a repeater, although this can lower your bandwidth. The D-Link DAP-1150 is one example

Thanks

I'm not after an access point, becuase the laptops get moved around a lot and i only have the 1 desktop in the house hence i don't have anywhere to plug an access point in!

Its not possible to plug a wireless access point just into a power point is it and pick up the single and redistribute it...is it? It needs to be hardwired to a comp right?

I'm really just after the most powerful, best coverage router on the market, unfortunately with everything that is built into them these days its hard to know what that is!

Regards,
    DeathKnight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
    I'm not after an access point, becuase the laptops get moved around a lot and i only have the 1 desktop in the house hence i don't have anywhere to plug an access point in!

Its not possible to plug a wireless access point just into a power point is it and pick up the single and redistribute it...is it? It needs to be hardwired to a comp right?

I'm really just after the most powerful, best coverage router on the market, unfortunately with everything that is built into them these days its hard to know what that is!

Regards,
    DeathKnight
    The D-Link DAP-1150 will pick up the weak signal, boast it and retransmit it wirelessly.

No need to hardwire into it, only for the initial setup stage. These units cost around $90-$95.
    The other things I would suggest is buy a router that has a detachable aerial and upgrade the aerial ( Netgear are hardwired) or look at something like the Buffalo below. I don't think they are very cheap though.

Thanks

The TP-Link WAPS work in repeater mode - you can set them up to extend your range.

Thanks

Thumbs up WRT54G +DD-WRT+ YAGI Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by gado View Post
    I would use DD-WRT compatible router i.e WL-520GC in client mode to your router your devices would then login to the WL-520GC at full strenght whilst the router maintains the wirless to wirless link with your router. I have run dreamboxes like this flawlessly for ages.
    Linksys WRT54G flashed with 3rd part firmware of DDWRT which over clocks and increases coverage in addition if you add a YAGI 21 dbi antenna range will be doubled. just have a look in ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIFI-Yagi-N-Type-Router-PROFESSIONAL-SOLUTION_W0QQitemZ400051439528QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item5d24ec87a8&_trksid=p328 6.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1462|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1 |240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

nowadays there are so many routers with DD-WRT firmware. just goto this site and check your router,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gado View Post
    Client mode? As in you can link to an existing wireless setup?

Cheers

Ok Did a search on DD-WRT and answered my question Cheers (made my spare router a wireless AP)
    Last edited by bigfella08; 12-06-09 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Change