Thread: Plan to cut off pirates web access in UK

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Plan to cut off pirates web access in UK

PEOPLE in Britain who illegally download films and music would be cut off from the internet under new legislative proposals to be unveiled next week.

Internet service providers would be legally required to take action against people who use pirated material.

Users suspected of wrongly downloading films or music would receive a warning email for the first offence, a suspension for the second infringement and the termination of their internet contract if caught a third time, under the most likely option to emerge from talks on the law.

Broadband companies who failed to enforce the three strikes would be prosecuted and suspected customers' details could be made available to the courts.

The Government has yet to decide if information on offenders should be shared between ISPs.

Six million broadband users are estimated to download files illegally every year in the UK, costing music and film companies billions of pounds in lost revenue annually.

Parallel negotiations between Britain's music industry and internet providers have been dragging on for two years.

Sticking points include who will arbitrate disputed allegations, such as when customers claim to have been the victim of "Wi-Fi piggybacking", in which users link up to a wireless network that is not their own.

Another disagreement is how many enforcements the internet companies would be expected to initiate and how quickly warning emails would be sent.

Action in the US and France, which has its own three-strikes regime, has increased the pressure on British internet companies and stiffened the Government's resolve.

Ministers will commit to legislate with the launch next week of a green paper on the creative industries.

A draft copy states: "We will move to legislate to require internet service providers to take action on illegal file-sharing."

A spokesman for the Internet Service Providers Association said it hoped consensus on a voluntary agreement could be reached: "Every right-thinking body knows that self-regulation is much the better option in these areas."

The Times

Look Here ->
    Thanks

They've failed to significantly stem the sources, failed to significantly affect the end users, and now the rise of SSL/Encrypted P2P/FTP/whatever is on the cards.
    What the ISP cannot see, they cannot act on. What is real concern is the "users suspected of wrongly downloading" statement..

There is allways going to be piracy, in the 70's and 80's it was the bootleg albums in brown paper sleeves, the cassetes in dodgy packaging.Why? Because the authentic item was not available due to "market control" or it was insanely overpriced.

The recording and movie industry has way too much clout and needs to embrace change, and offer realistic low cost download options..but the giants like Sony are stuck in the marketing past..
    Comfortably numb...
    And NO, Google is NOT my friend...

Thanks

Bring back the sneakernet! Terrabytes of data being shared by people with access to shoes and portable hard drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

If they do that there will be no one left on the net
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I just do not understand it all! As I have stated in the past, I can legally record a TV show on my DVD Recorder, PVR, VHS for later viewing. WTF is wrong with downloading to watch at a later time???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    I just do not understand it all! As I have stated in the past, I can legally record a TV show on my DVD Recorder, PVR, VHS for later viewing. WTF is wrong with downloading to watch at a later time???
    Nothing, if its only the shows which you missed, but if its shows which have not aired or are not showing in your country or region then they tend to get upset with you watching it without any royalties being paid to the copyright owners.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

hehehehe
    well, its like suing a car dealership for selling a car to an unlicensed driver who plowed into a pedestrian.
    The dealer doesnt know what the car will be used for, but is it logical to hold the dealer responsible?

Thanks

I dont see how your making that connection Padre. I can see the point your makng, but dont get how its related to someone watching something without paying royalties. When you watch a show on tv you pay by having commercials thrown in or if you see something on paytv, you still get ads thrown in, but your also paying a monthly fee for that reason. Considering its not the makers of the shows who are putting them up for download, but rather those who are recording them, how is it related?
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

best4less If they do that there will be no one left on the net
    I see that British ISP's have retaliated by requesting the movie\music merchants compensate them for the loss of customers.