Thanks

Default Monitoring Network

Hey guys,

the problem i have, is this

i work at a school

i want to be able to do the following

view a users internet browsing history
    view people that have logged onto a particular PC
    remote desktop connection (its a part of win server 2k3 yes?) i havent used it much, and its currently not enabled, any way i can test it out?

i have heard from a teacher, she is unable to remember what program, but you are able to view a number of computers screens all on one of your windows, that will be really helpful, as students have got laptops, and its a little hard to keep an eye on them all

also i heard one program is able to do live website blocking? that allows all of the above...

Look Here ->
    Thanks

school kids are smarter than you. They will use proxyies to view banned/blocked websites like wastebook.
    If they use mac's chicken of the VNC is one where you can view the other screen without them knowing.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

is what I installed on all the laptops going back a while now... i am sure there is better now.. was good for spying on the little buggers...
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to z1gg33 For This Useful Post:

wog (12-05-09)

Thanks

trust me, they aint smarter than me, they sit there infront of me playing flash games, so i lock them out there and then

i looked at that Radmin, but the only thing it doesnt have which i want is "live site blocking" apparently with another package, i am unable to remember which one it is, you are able to on the fly block websites?
    other thing, is ti doesnt allow you to view multiple screens at once on the same screen... another thing which i would like, and when spending roughly 5-6k from a schools budget, you need it to do all...

anywho ill download it, and try it tomorrow, and see how it goes

thanks very much, and keep them coming

Thanks

I have seen the program you mean being used at the school where I do voluntary work and will try and find out what it is today for you.

Thanks

one of the staff members thinks it starts with V? she isnt sure, but yeah, it will be MAGICAL as i had a big meeting with the little school (40 lappys)
    and the other school, which next year will have over 1200 students, this will be vital in keeping some sort of monitoring, already had a few issues, and want them all gone.

Thanks

I did not get time to chase it up today sorry, stuck at home with sick kids.
    I am in there tomorrow and I will find out.

Thanks

Here you go wog.
    It is called Netsupport School

I have had a look at this software and it would be very nice to have in your business too to keep an eye on things.

• The Following User Says Thank You to rob916 For This Useful Post:

wog (12-05-09)

Thanks

Rob that one is awesome, but i only want parts of it.. as i dont teach :P i wanan spy

ill download a demo later and do a trial on 20 or so computers, and see how it goes

that Radmin is great, the small school loves it, but i am still unable to go through the users history, which i would like to do, but i think they dont really mind :S

oh well...

thanks guys, ill get back to you all in a week or so

Thanks

I will ask around some more.

Thanks

just wanted to add that RA was good but not beatable. Its a stealth app, but some of the students were killing the process leaving it DOA.(even though I renamed it to something less obvious) it was an old version and not on XP, so I assume with XP program control this could be prevented. Also could you not use this to go into the history folder of students machine too see where the have been spose that would not help much if all history is deleted upon closing the browser.

also I thought you could view more than one machine with this, again from memory, it had something like windowed/tiled mode, where you could have XYX screens up.

This was used at a junior school up to year 8 so ...

sorry just had to tell you this story... please bare with me, had one kid that was a total SA and very demanding.. was funny to remove all his windows .exe and reboot his machine rendering it useless , he would be in my office 2 minutes after it happened .... only did it a couple of times for sh1ts and giggles... as it meant I had to redo his machine anyway....
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

studends on the network cannot access:
    run, task manager to close them down... which is good

i also want a live website filter

bloody facebook

Thanks

im a mean ####er :P

Thanks

For a school I would look at using a proxy server. I like squid, its free and once setup just works.

Once the proxy is running, you can make each user log into the proxy. Now your logs will show you who went where.

To block sites, setup blacklists (or whitelists) or what ever. you can issue a "reload" command and what ever new rules you added to your list will be active.

If you want more control, you can then add dans guardian to squid and it will allow for contenct checking.

But remember, as others have already stated... if they go via 3rd party proxy servers/sites and use ssl it will be harder to track and block.

Thanks

They use a program called Blue reef or Sonar at my school, its so annoying. So far I haven’t gotten around it, proxies don’t work, direct ip addresses don’t work even HEX doesn’t work. If anyone has gotten around it I’d like to know.

They also use a program called AB Tutor Control , cant get around that ether besides yanking out the internet cable, so again if anyone knows how to get around this it would be great to spy on the teacher.

Thanks and good luck
    Tappy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by taparoo88 View Post
    They use a program called Blue reef or Sonar at my school, its so annoying. So far I haven’t gotten around it, proxies don’t work, direct ip addresses don’t work even HEX doesn’t work. If anyone has gotten around it I’d like to know.
    Your not one of wogs students are you ?

Thanks

Hi wog
    first of all, get ULTRA VNC(it's free) installed on all PC's as server only, and installed on your PC as full installtion, this will allow you to remote log in and monitor to any PC.( using the viewer)
    your school should have a server and on that server there should be some security polices that called Group Polices, in those Group Polices the administrator can defined what should be allowed and what should not, that is including installing software, changing setting(including proxy).. Etc
    No disrespect, but from what I can see, it's not the kids in your school so clever,
    It’s the Network administrator who is NOT.
    Mate, get some professional setup in place there, before your school network goes south.
    good luck

Thanks

firstly, network is going fine

secondly, really no problems, i can track the users back to the computers, it just takes time, and was hoping i coudl do it all from one program instead of the way i have to.

the network has been dumped on me, and is up to the shit, when i got here, NOTHING was working. nobody could print or anything, i have brought this network up from the dead.

ultra vnc isnt what i want, i have tried it, and it doesnt do what i want it to do

THEM GUYS FROM PIXEL IT KEEP CALLING EVER 3 DAYS

baseel what you have said has already been done, and i hope your not running a network with just them, because if you are, you are the one that isnt cleaver.

ive asked for a better way to monitor the network than looking at ip addresses and websites and then looking up the address to the computer, then finding out the logged user that takes time
    i would much rather have a username looking upto the website they are viewing, which will cut down my time by heaps.

ive already got group policies setup to disable internet access through the proxy settings. and its working really well.