Thread: Help needed with kross digital set-top box

Thanks

Default Help needed with kross digital set-top box

Unfortunately, my kids dropped the remote of their Kross STB (TSK-530STB), which is now dead despite attempts to revive it. Anyway, for some reason the box is stuck on the setup menu and is unwilling to change, even though I have disconnected it from the mains. I'm sure there is some sort of pram battery inside that I could remove, but given the price of a new HD box fiddling around inside is not worth the effort. However, I'm sure that there must be a physical (non remote) key combination (I don't have the manual) that will reset this silly thing. Does anyone know how to achieve this, just to tide me over until I get a new kid proof all-in-one rubber padded, self levitating, universal remote or a new box or both.

UFO

P.S. I have tried every button on every remote in the house, but none of them corresponds to the Kross exit command.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink RemoteUniversal.

Quote Originally Posted by ufosarereal View Post
    Unfortunately, my kids dropped the remote of their Kross STB (TSK-530STB), which is now dead despite attempts to revive it. Anyway, for some reason the box is stuck on the setup menu and is unwilling to change, even though I have disconnected it from the mains. I'm sure there is some sort of pram battery inside that I could remove, but given the price of a new HD box fiddling around inside is not worth the effort. However, I'm sure that there must be a physical (non remote) key combination (I don't have the manual) that will reset this silly thing. Does anyone know how to achieve this, just to tide me over until I get a new kid proof all-in-one rubber padded, self levitating, universal remote or a new box or both.

UFO

P.S. I have tried every button on every remote in the house, but none of them corresponds to the Kross exit command.
    G'Day,
    I don't know whether this will help?
    This part copy of Universal Remote bought from Woolies some time ago.
    Although it does not list the Kross, you may be able to get one to work.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid "......Problems with "RapidShare."

Thanks

Always there ready with some excellent advice Beer. Thanks mate! I'll try it out when I get home and post my results.

UFO

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I have an old manual on a KROSS TSK 530 STB, but unfortunately, it only lists functions related to a remote control when doing functions, and no reset function is listed at all.....sorry 'bout this bad bit of news..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    I have an old manual on a KROSS TSK 530 STB, but unfortunately, it only lists functions related to a remote control when doing functions, and no reset function is listed at all.....sorry 'bout this bad bit of news..
    I tried everything in the vain hope that something wasn't documented, but in the end you're right. The main menus scroll with the channel buttons, but sub menus and the main functions: OK, Exit etc are bypassed completely and there is no way to leave this loop without the remote. Damn lame engineering, even at Woolies prices( $79 four years ago)! Oh well, the munchkins get a new HD box .

UFO

Banned
    Thanks

It may be prudent to have a read of similar articles like this before you go buy your next HD box

Thanks

It may be prudent to have a read of similar articles like this before you go buy your next HD box

Viewer, thank you for the help and friendly advice. However, the Freeview propaganda is just that, propaganda, because the only thing that distinguishes a Freeview compatible STB from any other STB is that on the Freeview box you can't skip the ads! That, and until Australia switches over to Mpeg 4, will mean that I'll get better mileage from my current STB and my own research than any reliance on a Freeview badge ... unless, of course, they start encrypting FTA!

UFO

Banned
    Thanks

Viewer, thank you for the help and friendly advice. However, the Freeview propaganda is just that, propaganda, because the only thing that distinguishes a Freeview compatible STB from any other STB is that on the Freeview box you can't skip the ads! That, and until Australia switches over to Mpeg 4, will mean that I'll get better mileage from my current STB and my own research than any reliance on a Freeview badge ... unless, of course, they start encrypting FTA!

UFO

ufosarereal...I totally and 100% agree with you about Freeview...just wanted to let you know of the information unless you didn't know...you have done your research very well.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

I tried everything in the vain hope that something wasn't documented, but in the end you're right. The main menus scroll with the channel buttons, but sub menus and the main functions: OK, Exit etc are bypassed completely and there is no way to leave this loop without the remote. Damn lame engineering, even at Woolies prices( $79 four years ago)! Oh well, the munchkins get a new HD box .

UFO
    Those woolworths remotes have a 'Shift' key that opens up second functions on their buttons - Make sure you try all the 2nd functions too
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fernbay View Post
    Those woolworths remotes have a 'Shift' key that opens up second functions on their buttons - Make sure you try all the 2nd functions too
    Thanks FB, I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately, this remote is dead. I opened it up and tried fiddling with it, but nothing. May have to replace the LED, but not worth the hassle.

... just wanted to let you know of the information unless you didn't know...
    Appreciate it! Thanks!

UFO

Banned
    Thanks

You probably know this already, ignore it if so..
    Use your digi camera and put it in movie mode, and whilst pointing the remote at the camera and pressing a button repeatedly, you should see the remote sending it's signal in the lcd view panel on the camera....if the remote works of course.

• The Following User Says Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

ufosarereal (17-05-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Talking Setting up TiVo 30078 for "Kross TSK-530STB".

G'Day,
    At considerable expense and much anguish to the management, we have found the solution to your problem.
    All you need is one of those thing-a-ma-jigs and program it with;
    OzTiVo IR Database

I'll let you sort the ins and outs here;

Will Invoice for services rendered Ultimo.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".................................

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

ufosarereal (17-05-09)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    G'Day,
    At considerable expense and much anguish to the management, we have found the solution to your problem.
    All you need is one of those thing-a-ma-jigs and program it with;
    OzTiVo IR Database

I'll let you sort the ins and outs here;

Will Invoice for services rendered Ultimo.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".................................

Cheers!
    I'll look into that.
    UFO

Thanks

You probably know this already, ignore it if so..
    Use your digi camera and put it in movie mode, and whilst pointing the remote at the camera and pressing a button repeatedly, you should see the remote sending it's signal in the lcd view panel on the camera....if the remote works of course.
    Thanks for that. Yes, unfortunately I tried that and the LED isn't working, but that can also be a power supply problem. In any case, I have for the time being resolved the issue by getting another box for $20. I'll deal with Freeview issues later and I'll attempt Beer's solution when I have a moment and post my results.

Cheers Guys

UFO