Thread: Ethernet over Powerline adapters

Thanks

Default Ethernet over Powerline adapters

Howdy Guys and Gals,
    I'm looking at getting a couple of ethernet over power adapters to extend ethernet out to my shed. (This is the sort I want incase you don't know what I'm talking about) I'm interested in hearing from anyone else that's used these devices. How reliable are they? What sort of distance can they transmit (I know they quote 200m) -cheers

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Like any similar device, e.g. mains intercom etc., that uses the mains cabling to communicate from one unit to another, they must be connected to the same electrical phase. If your mains supply is single phase, as in most domestic situations, this will not be a problem.

Other equipment connected to the A.C. mains such as freezers etc., which present a low impedance to the mains, can prevent such units from operating successfully and/or cause interference.

My advice is, "suck it and see", but when making a purchase, do so on the understanding, that the units can be returned for a full refund if they do not perform satisfactorily. To this end, keep the purchase docket and do not destroy or dispose of packaging.

In situations such as this, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"!

Thanks

In my experience, they are very good. Everyone should have one set, makes life so much simpler.

As for distance....they say not to use power boards and extension cables etc, and i have been very naughty with this in the past - double boards & extensions on both sides +30m distance between them and i was still getting over 60 Mb/s....so there might be some truth it it, although you definitely wont get the 85Mb/s.

Even if they can't span the entire distance, i believe you could use 3 and have one act as a bridge.

Cheers, RHCP.
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Just told a customer to get a pair and they worked a dream
    The only thing is they had wireless on the laptop and they forgot to turn it off 1st before trying to use the adapters
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    The only thing is they had wireless and they forgot to turn it off 1st before trying to use the adapters
    Hhmm, thanks for the replies guys. Everyone seems to have positive views on these devices, so I reckon I'll go ahead and get a pair.

best4less:- Yes I did notice some models had wireless although I don't understand why. If you were looking for an EoP solution in the first place, then you'd probably already ruled out wireless.

Thanks Everyone....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GavinSV View Post
    Hhmm, thanks for the replies guys. Everyone seems to have positive views on these devices, so I reckon I'll go ahead and get a pair.

best4less:- Yes I did notice some models had wireless although I don't understand why. If you were looking for an EoP solution in the first place, then you'd probably already ruled out wireless.

Thanks Everyone....
    He means to turn the wifi off on the laptop so it wont try to search for a wifi network first, i know my toshiba will switch automatically from wlan to eth if a plugged in cable is detected.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

What he said LOL
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    What he said LOL
    I took a liberty there, i assumed thats what you meant .

Thanks

Thanks Everyone....

if those fail to live up to what you want, PM me up for a wired soluiton...
    PC Gamer , PC/ Networking Geek, Licenced Data Cabler , Sci Fi Junkie.
    It all Comes down to KISS >O<
    Do Not Hand feed the Idiots in this World it only makes more
    "I don't just have tickets on myself, I have a whole booklet of tickets on myself"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs View Post
    if those fail to live up to what you want, PM me up for a wired soluiton...
    Cheers. -Thanks Pugs. Out of interest, what did you have mind?

Thanks

Cheers. -Thanks Pugs. Out of interest, what did you have mind?
    as I'm licenced Cabler i can do either one of two options...
    simple extension of the phone line out to the granny flat via conduit or aerial cable.

or running a Cat6 ethernet cable in a conduit/aerial to run a network line out there.

all depending on how the power gets out there..... if you have a external power run i can simply get corregated conduit and attach it to that or bury a conduit down 350mm and hey presto all sorted and alot faster then EoP
    "I don't just have tickets on myself, I have a whole booklet of tickets on myself"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs View Post
    as I'm licenced Cabler i can do either one of two options...
    Hi Pugs, ok thanks, but I have an Austel licence myself. If I ever decide on a hardwired option I can do that myself. EoP just seemed a lot easier than dragging a cable through roofs, walls and underground. Given that these EoP adapters are quoting between 85-200 Mbits, speed isn't really an issue for me.

Thanks

Hi Pugs, ok thanks, but I have an Austel licence myself. If I ever decide on a hardwired option I can do that myself. EoP just seemed a lot easier than dragging a cable through roofs, walls and underground. Given that these EoP adapters are quoting between 85-200 Mbits, speed isn't really an issue for me.

lol no dramas personally as a data cabler be my first/ only instict is to run a cable... then go wireless but with N gear as a back up plan

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

I wondered about this system too.
    I had a client that I needed to find a sure-fire solution for.
    He has wireless in his house, but for some reason it wasn't getting from the office down to the lounge particularly well. To make matters worse, he had one of those flat panel computers - an HP machine that stands vertical like an oversize photo frame, and it has built in wireless, but no external antenna - making the thing kinda deaf.

Anyway, after a brief enquiry on the board here I went and bought a Netcom NP285 Turbo Homeplug Twinpack.

As a technician and electrician from a long time back, the idea of running data across mains cables just doesn't do anything for me. It just seems wrong!
    However, I gave in on this occasion and bought the unit and set about installing it.

I plugged one in at the office and attached a LAN cable to it from the modem.

I then plugged the other one in by the computer in the lounge, and set the PC to work from the wired LAN.

Job done. No configuring - it worked straight out of the box. I have no idea what the speed was, but it wasn't an issue. The result was one very happy customer.

Thanks

i have one sitting here in a box, never tried it but if u r interested let me know and i'll get u a bargain!
    iam a bogan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mate View Post
    i have one sitting here in a box, never tried it but if u r interested let me know and i'll get u a bargain!
    Hi Mate,
    Do you mean one adapter or "one pair of adapters"? I need atleast two adapters to get started. If this is the case I would be interested. Perhaps send me a PM with all the datails. -Cheers