Thread: Modem or ISP or line problem?

Thanks

Default Modem or ISP or line problem?

So, my ADSL1 service was working perfectly fine for about a year until a couple of months ago. Things have steadily gotten worse and I get about 10-20 dropouts per day. Nothing was changed during the period. Some other strange things with the speed has also been happening.

With the dropouts, the ADSL light starts blinking whenever a dropout occurs, there is always a dial tone and there is no filter between the ADSL modem and the line. The only other device is a regular telephone which has a filter. I have tried disconnecting the phone as well and this has made no difference.

The second issue is a strange one. I am on the 1500/256 plan, but my line speed shows up as 3245/659 (right now). The download varies in the 3000's (as high as 3700) but when it works fine, I do get over 300kb download speed and 70kb upload. While the speed increase is a nice bonus, it doesn't make up for all the dropouts and I would prefer to have the lower speed and stable, working internet. Is this the modem dying or an ISP/Line issue? It's incredibly frustrating to put up with.

Look Here ->

Thanks

I had the same problem with all the constant dropouts, i updated the drivers for my onboard lan card and the problem has mostly disappeared.

Thanks

I'm sure that's not it either, I have three computers and a ps3 hooked up to the modem and all have the same problem, it's the modem, not the lan. I can still access the modem during the dropouts and it shows a massive jump in the SNR margin, from 4 to 2000000 something.

Thanks

things may have not changed at your end, but have you considered that your echange has taken on a lot more ADSL clients in this time. This is a huge factor when considering individual ADSL performance from a 'shared source'.
    iam a bogan

Thanks

ring telstra 132200 ..they will test line there and then .. when test done ring you back and tell u whether needs fixing ...

Which ISP are ya with ?
    Try borrowing a modem from a friend .. for 24 - 48 hrs
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

Exetel, I've contacted them about it. Friends have got wireless, so I'm looking for another modem to have as a spare as well as test.