Thread: LNB Testing: Is a DVB/PCI card what I need?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Default LNB Testing: Is a DVB/PCI card what I need?

I have a NUMBER, a LARGE number of various types of LNB's laying around and I would like to find some way to test them across the whole usable TP
    freq range.

Is there some way to connect these VARIOUS[legacy single, Legacy Dual, Single Dishnet(non-DP), Dual Dishnet(non-DP), Single DP, Dual DP, Dual DP PLus,Legacy 10.750 and some DTV "Para de Todos" Legacy's that seem to be a higher gain than a normal legacy] to my computer thru the loop out on my FTA and some kind of interface card (DVB/PCI)and run diagnostic software on them?

Software that will check performance from the first TP freq to the last and possibly indicate actual gain (or lack of)!

It seems as though on numerous occasions I have come across Dish DP LNB's that will start to fail on only a few of the TP freqs, and then they will get progressively worse!

Any input would be greatly appreciated as it will clear out alot of BOGUS stock!

Thanks Chris

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cmangle View Post
    I have a NUMBER, a LARGE number of various types of LNB's laying around and I wold like to find some way to test them acroos the whole usable TP
    freq range.

Is there some way to connect these VARIOUS[legacy single, Legacy Dual, Single Dishnet(non-DP), Dual Dishnet(non-DP), Single DP, Dual DP, Dual DP PLus,Legacy 10.750 and some DTV "Para de Todos" Legacy's that seem to be a higher gain than a normal legacy] to my computer thru the loop out on my FTA and some kind of interface card (DVB/PCI)and run dianostic software on them?

Software that will check performance from the first TP freq to the last and possibly indicate actual gain (or lack of)!

It seems as though on numerous occasions I have come across Dish DP LNB's that will start to fail on only a few of the TP freqs, and then they will get progressively worse!

Any imput would be greatly appreciated as it will clear out alot of BOGUS stock!

Thanks Chris
    No.

Thanks

I have one of these which I've used for various projects over the past.
    It will connect your LNB to the pc for sure but I'm afraid I don't know what software to use for scanning.

Thanks

You wouldn't expect to be able to test the performance, frequency response, distortion etc of a microphone or loudspeaker by just hooking it up to a PC, would you? You'd need an acoustic lab.

That's why there's no way to test the performance of an LNB without setting up a test environment with actual signals.

If by 'bogus' you mean you're concerned about counterfeit, that's certainly a problem with some of the expensive brands. Apart from the professional test/certification labs, you'd really have to compare with genuine article in a controlled trial.

If your objective is to resell them, some of the exotic ones might sell on basis of their labels, but LNBs deteriorate with age and can be damaged by dropping, over-tightening etc. So don't expect much second hand resale value unless item is expensive or rare.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 3,031 Times in 777 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    You wouldn't expect to be able to test the performance, frequency response, distortion etc of a microphone or loudspeaker by just hooking it up to a PC, would you? You'd need an acoustic lab..
    That is why I would want to use the "Loop Out" of a n FTA to test them as they are being uesd/polled? And wouldn't the test software put the LNB thru it's paces just the same what pink/white noise would test a microphone! Don't think there;s pink/white noise in the real world!

That's why there's no way to test the performance of an LNB without setting up a test environment with actual signals..
    Again that is why the loop out would be necessary! But you dont need a DARK room to see if a flashlight is working!

If by 'bogus' you mean you're concerned about counterfeit, that's certainly a problem with some of the expensive brands. Apart from the professional test/certification labs, you'd really have to compare with genuine article in a controlled trial.
    Counterfeit, or those that break down, after a few short power up period, they work fine at install but an hour or so after you've left, they start to fail! Bogus in that they don't perform as they should!

If your objective is to resell them, some of the exotic ones might sell on basis of their labels, but LNBs deteriorate with age and can be damaged by dropping, over-tightening etc. So don't expect much second hand resale value unless item is expensive or rare.
    Re-sell is NOT an issue. You're in the midlle of "God know's Where", and a system has a failed LNB, and then it's thinking the LNB laying in your storage bin is good, replacing it for known bad one, and ending up right back where you started!

But I understand your comments, thanks all for the replies!