Thread: The Wii: The Basics.

Thanks

Default The Wii: The Basics.

Foreword: This is only a skeleton document aimed at people who are familiar with the backup scene but not the Wii.

Risks: When playing games outside your region there is a risk of ‘bricking’ your console.

Semi-Bricked:

When a console receives a firmware update from a game outside its’ region, eg a pal console is updated by a USA NTSC game. It may still possible to play games, but not all of the consoles menus or features will function correctly. It is ‘semi’ bricked, as it MAY be fixed by updating to a newer (region compatible) firmware…of course this might not be available immediately.

Fully Bricked:

Unfortunately this can not be rectified. Enjoy your plastic brick.

Protection:

It’s hardly rocket science, when a non pal game asks to perform a firmware update, simply eject the disc and reset the console – update your console with a PAL game or the net and try again. It’s still easy to be caught out, especially with kids!

Regularly connecting your wii to the web will ensure its firmware is up-to-date. Updating your console through the web is 100% safe; at present there is no evidence to suggest Nintendo are able to detect modchips while online. Some people have reported games still asking to perform a firmware update even though they have the latest firmware… best to play it safe, see below.

is tool that patches image files thereby removing the ‘update’ portion of the game image.

Use both methods for maximum safety.
    * Be wary of traded ‘pal’ discs!

GAME BACKUP

Non-Original/Backup Copy:

Can be duplicated with any dvd reader/writer using a 1-to-1 method.

Original Wii Game:

Currently two methods exist, but in either case ensure the ISO image file size matches:

Wii ISO = 4.37 GB or 4699979776 bytes
    Gamecube ISO = 1.35 GB or 1459978240 bytes

If your image differs from these, there IS a problem.

1. LG-DVD-rom Method.

Only certain LG drives or their rebadged brethren can properly read ORIGINAL wii games. Hence to copy an original, you must own one of the following drives:

LG-8164b
    LG-8163b
    LG-8162b
    LG-8161b

These are all LG DVD-ROM drives and are relatively rare.

You will need to use to extract the image Use the latest version, as it is considerably faster. is required
    This will take 2-4 hours depending on the game size, LG model, and RawDump Version. (If you’re using an earlier rawdump version, you may need to unscramble the Image using rawdump.)

Be sure to check the file size of the extracted ISO.
    Burn the completed image with your chosen application or .

2. WiiKey Disc Dump

This method relies on the Wii’s own disc drive. A homebrew application called DVD Dump is run which allows a game to be incrementally dumped to an SD card via Game Cube memory Slot-A (with the aid of a gecko).

A gecko is simply an adapter which allows an sd card to be connected to a game cube memory slot – (rewires the contacts, nothing more).

* Due to FAT16 limitations, 2GB is largest SD memory card compatible with this process!
    * Use the same SD memory card through the entire dump.

First we must properly format the SD card. Either use ,
    Or
    From the command prompt type:
    Code:
    dumptool [driveletter] –c
    (obviously from the folder containing dumptool.exe)

* It is essential to properly format the card, as this can lead to bad dumps and problems later on. If you have problems, try formatting again.

Use your preferred method of running dvddump.dol; know that it is included in both wiikey 1.2 and 1.3 config discs. In the absence of a GC contoller the reset button can be used to transverse the menus.

Using a 2GB SD card, 3 dumps will be required. Once the SD card is full, you will be prompted to remove it and ‘dump’ it to a computer.
    Again you can either use WiiUtilities or the command prompt. I prefer the command prompt.

A Wii game will be split into a minimum of 3 ‘chunks’ (1 per dump). Dumptool can either join these files as you download them to produce a single .iso file, or it can simply extract the chunks leaving you to join them later. I prefer dumping to individual files and joining them afterwards, as my SD reader is temperamental and can confuse DVDdump leading to errors.

Dump to a single file - discimage.iso. At the prompt type:
    Code:
    dumptool [driveletter] –sd
    OR

To extract each chunk to individual files (with names 00.rvl 01.rvl 02.rvl…).
    At the prompt type:
    Code:
    dumptool [driveletter] –d
    Once all chunks have been dumped, we must append the files to make a single iso

At the prompt type
    Code:
    copy /b 00.rvl+01.rvl+02.rvl gamename.iso
    Again, check the file size of the image.
    Burn with your preferred application.

Burning Speed and Media

DRE or Disc Read Errors can occur for various reasons.
    I’ve always been sceptical of the “only burn at 2x” statements. I believe in burning media at their rated speed, unfortunately this hasn’t held true for my wii. I have found my wii doesn’t like certain cheap media burnt at their rated speed. I have had no DREs using verbatim while burning at max speed, or the cheap media burnt at 2-4x.

If you’re still having issues, ensure your wii dvd drive is set to read at 3x, not 6x. Note, if you’re using a wiikey, each time you load the config disc the options are at their default and not what the chip is set to (this is for safety purposes - to prevent the chip from being detected).

Most chips have a wide range of media support, but as with all things what works for one person may not necessarily work for you.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Modchips:

A variety of chips are available, there are even open-source/homebrew chips which you can build and program yourself! You should be careful when purchasing a chip as not all chips work with all consoles, and clones or knock-offs do exist. See for a list of Wii modchips (it’s a little old).

I personally like the wiikey, but these are not suitable for all wii’s. It is important to know what dvd chipset your wii has, as not all modchips are compatible and the install methods do differ. Using the serial number (located on the side of the wii) you can get a reasonably accurate idea of what dvd chip your wii has. The only way to be 100% certain is to open up the console and have a look. (See below).

Quote Originally Posted by ozmodchips
    Feb 2007
    3 Companies figured out how to mod the wii at pretty much the same time. Wiinja and Team Cyclops rush out their chips out, while Wiikey wait it out, and bring out the first chip that allows users to play international games on their Wii.

The Wiikey is a modchip that is soldered onto the DVD drive of your Wii. The wiikey doesn't not alter your Wii software, so you can still do 100% of what you normally do on your Wii.

The added features is the ability to play about 70% of international games, play backups of your games from DVDs, and playing Gamecube homebrew.

Mid 2007
    In a quick effort to stop people from modding their Wii, the 3 essential pins that are used for modchip communication are cut out newer wiis. For an extra charge, modders can grind down the IC and solder the points internally.

Late 2007
    The Wii now has a totally different security chip inside the DVD drive. Therefore none of the 1st generation modchips work! It took 2 months, but the smart guys at wiikey figured it out first and bought out the D2CKey. Instead of being a relatively easy 6 wires, the D2CKey requires a massive 31 wires. The modchip functionality is exactly the same, but because of the way it works, the D2CKey is extremly undetectable.
    I was lucky enough to have a D2B or DMS (can’t remember) and I found it quite easy to chip. By far the hardest part was removing the actual case. If your handy with a soldering iron and have one of these chipsets then I recommend giving it a go, I found it to be rather rewarding. If you have a latter version chipset, then I HIGHLY recommend you have a professional install the chip.

Identify the DVD chip using the Wii's serial number:

There are currently 3 types of wiis in Australia.
    Under LAH1016
    These are normal wiis with the DMS/D2B chipset. Most people with a steady hand and some soldering skills (and the right equipment) should be able to do this installation.
    Between LAH1016 and LAH10216
    This is a wii with 3 pins cut out of the consoles IC. The IC is what the wiikey 'talks to', with the 3 pins cut, the wiikey can't talk to it, hence, it can't work! It still is moddable, but extremely hard for most people. 50% of so called 'professional' modders cannot do it…
    Over LAH10216
    D2C chipset. The wiikey WILL not work on this model. You need a D2C compatible modchip like the D2CKey or Argon
    Stolen from ozmodchips with reference to the WiiKey

How to open the case and disassemble the wii:

Physically identifying the Wii DVD chip:

The chip version is printed on top of the chip; which is located on the underside of the dvd drive, adjacent the ribbon cable (connecting the DVD-drive to the mobo). See picture.

Software:

Compatability list for NON-PAL games with a PAL console:

Useful Links:

Hope this was helpful.

Cheers, RHCP.

Thanks

bloody great post mate

Thanks

good write up RHCP..very concise and easy to understand ! A good read for all wii beginners..

Thanks

yeah nice work!

I just got a Wii from Mrs Santa for xmas, i'm currently looking into what i can do with it in regards to playing backups.

Can't wait to get it modded!

Daz

Premium Member
    Thanks

Outstanding post

Well Done

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dazzaau View Post
    yeah nice work!

I just got a Wii from Mrs Santa for xmas, i'm currently looking into what i can do with it in regards to playing backups.

Can't wait to get it modded!

Daz
    We had a modded wii (Over LAH10216 version) given to our kids for xmas.Didn't seem to like playing a lot of the "back up" games until we did an internet firmware upgrade on it then it recognised them all just fine..Just a heads up for anyone getting one of the new version units..

Thanks

AWESOME mate!

This will definitely assist Wii newbies.

have also sent pm

Thanks

edit function gone after about 1 hour, but, the above post is that good, I have asked permission of RCHP if I could put on my website as a tutorial download to newcomers to Wii.

It is now on there and can be found as a download called:

I have also added the wiikey 1.9g firmware update and wiikey config disk v1.3

Thanks

G'day Mick,is that v1.3 config disc the same as Wiikey Utilities disc?
    If it is,I found a v1.5 version today.
    If it's not,please ignore my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Micksxboxmods View Post
    edit function gone after about 1 hour, but, the above post is that good, I have asked permission of RCHP if I could put on my website as a tutorial download to newcomers to Wii.

It is now on there and can be found as a download called:

I have also added the wiikey 1.9g firmware update and wiikey config disk v1.3

Thanks

great posts, thanks for the efforts RHCP. would be nice to include the source of the included apps.

for example

Wii BrickBlocker -

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitey66 View Post
    G'day Mick,is that v1.3 config disc the same as Wiikey Utilities disc?
    If it is,I found a v1.5 version today.
    If it's not,please ignore my post.
    it would just be a variation mate as 1.3 is the current one!

post or pm me a link and I can check for you

Thanks

Default thankz

thanks RHCP
    keep it up
    Treble

Thanks

Nice guide, thanks for that.

Thanks

Great guide there.

For thing likes this it would be great for Austech to have a Wiki.

Thanks

Great post! I have been looking into some of this and your info has cleared up some of my questions.

Thanks

Default My Wii SD card won't read

Help!
    my WII SD Card reader won't read SD cards " The device
    inserted in the SD slot can't be used" is the message I get?

Wii model: LAH10857 series
    Version running: 3.3e
    Chip installed: ?$150 chip from modchip-wizard.com

I have chip installed on my brand new WII for my kids XMAS
    present this year. The Wii works fine, plays copies and
    back-ups, my only problem is I can't access and 1 or 2 gb SD
    card that I put in the SD slot of the Wii with the TP game
    save on it. I have formatted the cards a number of times
    with the SD Formatter and even went into a shop and bought a
    second 2GB SD card that they tried in a Wii instore so I
    know it's working, but still when I got home and inserted
    the SD card it comes up with" The device inserted in the SD