Thread: C-Band LNB and Direction

Thanks

Default C-Band LNB and Direction

I Know KU LNB have screw setting to make adjustments for signal direction.
    On an C-band LNB, Do you get quality improvement by rotating the LNB. I have mine setup with the connector part pointing down, logical location for cabling ease.

I wonder if this is also the optimal position for signal strength and quality.

I would appreciate any advice on this, as I am getting some weak signals that I really want to watch. It is on 45-48%. I f a little twitching can improve it to 55%, that will be great.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by technowiz View Post
    On an C-band LNB, Do you get quality improvement by rotating the LNB. I have mine setup with the connector part pointing down, logical location for cabling ease.

I would appreciate any advice on this, as I am getting some weak signals that I really want to watch. It is on 45-48%. I f a little twitching can improve it to 55%, that will be great.
    Yes, LNB 'skew' on ALL bands must be adjusted for optimum results.

You need some form of signal-measuring meter (or use the scale in your receiver) to see the signal level/quality during adjustment.

It's also possible the weak signals you are getting are due to lower-powered transponders on the satellites in question, you are in a lower-signal footprint, or your dish is too small for those channels.

More info, such as the satellite/s, channels, dish size, LNB, decoder and your location will help us provide more detailed replies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Captain Cook would not approve.

G'Day Cobber.
    No one is asking for your Street address, but it makes quite a difference when adjusting your dish to get a little closer than this from an earlier thread.

I live Quite Close to Adelaide (142E, 35S) and I have a 2.3 m dish as well.
    Now Adelaide is 138.5 E and Melbourne is 145 E. So 142 E would be halfway between.
    Unless of course the above is totally incorrect. Please be a little more precise so that we can help.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".......

PS: I do note that you have a Strong 4663X and a 2.3 M dish. Signals should romp in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post

G'Day Cobber.
    No one is asking for your Street address, but it makes quite a difference when adjusting your dish to get a little closer than this from an earlier thread.

Now Adelaide is 138.5 E and Melbourne is 145 E. So 142 E would be halfway between.
    Unless of course the above is totally incorrect. Please be a little more precise so that we can help.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".......

PS: I do note that you have a Strong 4663X and a 2.3 M dish. Signals should romp in.
    The coordinate is correct, and the small Victorian country town is in the Mildura region and close to both the N.S.W and SA border. It is such a small town that most people would not know where I am talking about so I thought the coordinate would be helpful.

Thanks

Cool Setting up Skew.

The coordinate is correct, and the small Victorian country town is on the map, call Ouyen, 100 km south of Mildura and close to both the N.S.W and SA border. It is such a small town that most people would not know where I am talking about so I thought the coordinate would be helpful.
    From the " Dish Pointer " program for C1:
    Latitude: -35.0722°
    Longitude: 142.3189°Satellite: 156.0E Optus C1
    Elevation: 46.7°
    Azimuth (true): 22.9°
    Azimuth (magn.): 13.2°

You can click and drag the marker

Use this program:
    and you can move the marker to your exact location, then you will be able to see the TRUE bearing to each Satellite with identified landmarks.
    Your Skew is with the downlead at about 5 to 6 O'clock, looking into the dish pointing due True North.

Now this is for the Optus Satellites, others will be different and you will have to make a compromise with Signal levels as there is about 45 degrees difference.
    A neat way of fixing this is to have a multi LNB install with the different Skews.
    Hope this all makes sense, if not, just ask.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".....................,,,,,,,,

Thanks

From the " Dish Pointer " program for C1:
    Latitude: -35.0722°
    Longitude: 142.3189°Satellite: 156.0E Optus C1
    Elevation: 46.7°
    Azimuth (true): 22.9°
    Azimuth (magn.): 13.2°

You can click and drag the marker

Use this program:
    and you can move the marker to your exact location, then you will be able to see the TRUE bearing to each Satellite with identified landmarks.
    Your Skew is with the downlead at about 5 to 6 O'clock, looking into the dish pointing due True North.

Now this is for the Optus Satellites, others will be different and you will have to make a compromise with Signal levels as there is about 45 degrees difference.
    A neat way of fixing this is to have a multi LNB install with the different Skews.
    Hope this all makes sense, if not, just ask.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".....................,,,,,,,,
    I have a Motorised C-band Dish and C-band LNBF with not skew setting on it.
    Are you suggesting that when the dish faces due north and the cable lead pointing directly down to the ground at 6 oclock position is the "zero skew" position and rotating clockwise/anticlockwise from this postion gives you the positive/negative skew as given by the dishpointer program.

On a 2.3m motorised dish, dont see how multi LNB would be fitted. I am Lost here.

Thanks

Wink Perceived Skew.

I have a Motorised C-band Dish and C-band LNBF with not skew setting on it.
    Are you suggesting that when the dish faces due north and the cable lead pointing directly down to the ground at 6 oclock position is the "zero skew" position and rotating clockwise/anticlockwise from this postion gives you the positive/negative skew as given by the dishpointer program.

On a 2.3m motorised dish, dont see how multi LNB would be fitted. I am Lost here.
    You have me confused, other posts you say you have Optus Aurora Ku band.
    OK, so now we are dealing with the C Band.
    Skew, or rotating the LNB in it's holder, as well as in/out to adjust focal length, are all part of tweaking the dish.
    If the dish is correctly set up, it should rotate as you traverse E to W and thus alter the Skew optimally to the perceived Skew of the various Satellites.
    To illustrate:
    If you see a vertical mast out to your right, you need to tilt your head to the right to see it vertical to your eyes, and vice versa.
    So, to keep your receive antenna in the same plane as the Satellite antenna, we tilt the dish clockwise going to the E, and the other way when going to the W. The opposite applies for the Northern Hemisphere. W and E.
    Does that make it any clearer?
    It matters little, be it the C or Ku band, or any other Band for that matter.
    There are Masochists that have Multi LNB installations. More of that later.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid "......

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

The coordinate is correct, and the small Victorian country town is in the Mildura region and close to both the N.S.W and SA border. It is such a small town that most people would not know where I am talking about so I thought the coordinate would be helpful.
    That's hardy close to Adelaide (as previously stated).... it's about 360km from Adelaide!

As you are actually receiving the satellites/channels, the dish seems to be aligned.

As per my earlier post, the lower signal/quality levels may be due to LNB skew/position, or simply the transponders you are trying to receive do in fact have low levels.

I'll ask the question again...

Which satellite/s, channels are you trying to receive?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    That's hardy close to Adelaide (as previously stated).... it's about 360km from Adelaide!

As you are actually receiving the satellites/channels, the dish seems to be aligned.

As per my earlier post, the lower signal/quality levels may be due to LNB skew/position, or simply the transponders you are trying to receive do in fact have low levels.

I'll ask the question again...

Which satellite/s, channels are you trying to receive?
    I Want to tune to the following transponders
    1. Asiasat 3S 4111(H) - 2 Channels Lotus and I-horizon,
    2. Asiasat 3S 4000(H) - 4 Channels - 726 ***, 743 ***, 745 ***, 747 ***
    3 Thaicom2/5 4118 YR Asia
    4. Intersat 8 - 3835 V - 4 channels

The intersting thing is I receive good signals 95%, and good quality (55%+) on the other transponders on these satellites, but the channel that I want to watch has poor quality (45-50 %) which gives a broken picture and goes out if the weather is bad.

Thanks

Default C/ KU dish

You have me confused, other posts you say you have Optus Aurora Ku band.
    OK, so now we are dealing with the C Band.
    Skew, or rotating the LNB in it's holder, as well as in/out to adjust focal length, are all part of tweaking the dish.
    If the dish is correctly set up, it should rotate as you traverse E to W and thus alter the Skew optimally to the perceived Skew of the various Satellites.
    To illustrate:
    If you see a vertical mast out to your right, you need to tilt your head to the right to see it vertical to your eyes, and vice versa.
    So, to keep your receive antenna in the same plane as the Satellite antenna, we tilt the dish clockwise going to the E, and the other way when going to the W. The opposite applies for the Northern Hemisphere. W and E.
    Does that make it any clearer?
    It matters little, be it the C or Ku band, or any other Band for that matter.
    There are Masochists that have Multi LNB installations. More of that later.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid "......
    I have both. I have a small dish for KU optus aurora because terrestrial reception is very poor. I got that to work now.
    I have a C-band 2.3 motorised to watch the foreingn channels and news from bbc, blumberg

Thanks

Wink

I Want to tune to the following transponders
    1. Asiasat 3S 4111(H) - 2 Channels Lotus and I-horizon,
    2. Asiasat 3S 4000(H) - 4 Channels - 726 ***, 743 ***, 745 ***, 747 ***
    3 Thaicom2/5 4118 YR Asia
    4. Intersat 8 - 3835 V - 4 channels

The intersting thing is I receive good signals 95%, and good quality (55%+) on the other transponders on these satellites, but the channel that I want to watch has poor quality (45-50 %) which gives a broken picture and goes out if the weather is bad.
    I suggest that you look at the charts and Footprints on Lyngsat here:

A cursory look suggests much of what you are after are not covered by the Footprint Maps or are Feeds.
    There are 2 separate or combined listings for Thaicom 2/5.
    The Footprint maps icon is under the main Satellite heading.
    Intelsat 8 should be OK, except you seem to be out in your Frequency. (3833 on the chart.)

You must realise that the different TPs are often directional and that good reception on one TP does not guarantee the other TPs.
    Perhaps a search on this forum will help you find other members that post their experiences for those Sats of interest to you.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid "...