Thread: Question about softcams

Thanks

Default Question about softcams

Hi I'm a bit confused,

I'm looking at setting up progdvb with wincsc on a win pc with a sat card. I have a phoenix with a IR2 gamma card in it connected to the PC running greywolf midnight.

In this situation what is the softcam, "wincsc" or is "greywolf" the softcam?

Also to develop a softcam does that mean whoever wrote the softcam has broken the encryption algorithm for IR2 or have they just written the softcam to respond the same way a hardware cam responds?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Anyone got any info on this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Anything has gotta be better than the shit served up on free to air television. I'd rather watch a doco than a reality TV show anyday.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Anything has gotta be better than the shit served up on free to air television. I'd rather watch a doco than a reality TV show anyday.

Hear hear !!

Leroy

Thanks

Hi I'm a bit confused,

I'm looking at setting up progdvb with wincsc on a win pc with a sat card. I have a phoenix with a IR2 gamma card in it connected to the PC running greywolf midnight.

In this situation what is the softcam, "wincsc" or is "greywolf" the softcam?

Also to develop a softcam does that mean whoever wrote the softcam has broken the encryption algorithm for IR2 or have they just written the softcam to respond the same way a hardware cam responds?
    Keep on topic plz ingxen.

Come on! How can you compare to shows like "It takes two baby!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Decapper View Post
    Keep on topic plz ingxen.

Come on! How can you compare to shows like "It takes two baby!)
    lol.. keep on topic.. very funny.

I'm still a bit confused about the definition of a "softcam". I would say greywolf midnight is a part softcam as it still uses a pheonix to read off the card. A full softcam is one that emulates a hardware cam and emulates the card as well.. it that correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ingxen View Post
    lol.. keep on topic.. very funny.

I'm still a bit confused about the definition of a "softcam". I would say greywolf midnight is a part softcam as it still uses a pheonix to read off the card. A full softcam is one that emulates a hardware cam and emulates the card as well.. it that correct?
    phoenix is not CAM, as soon as you accept this your question will be clear for you. Phoenix is as smart as software which is used with it, otherwise it's just a piece of useless hardware.
    What you call a full softcam will require a full ird2 emulation which is not available (at least publically AFAIK) at the moment. That is why whenever you deal with ird2 you need a "half" softcam to access the physical card and process data as required.

Thanks

Dude have a look here it may help

Tagg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    phoenix is not CAM, as soon as you accept this your question will be clear for you. Phoenix is as smart as software which is used with it, otherwise it's just a piece of useless hardware.
    What you call a full softcam will require a full ird2 emulation which is not available (at least publically AFAIK) at the moment. That is why whenever you deal with ird2 you need a "half" softcam to access the physical card and process data as required.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me fromaron... much appreciated.

Tagg cheers for the link, I have read that already.

What I meant by the phoenix being a cam is that inside a hardware cam you buy, is a card reader. So what I should have said from the beginning is, is a ird2 hardware cam you buy for a sat box equivalent to greywolf midnight and a phoenix running on a pc, which now from your response I know is true.

Thanks

is a ird2 hardware cam you buy for a sat box equivalent to greywolf midnight and a phoenix running on a pc, which now from your response I know is true.
    No where near it dude sorry

Tagg

Thanks

What I meant by the phoenix being a cam is that inside a hardware cam you buy, is a card reader. So what I should have said from the beginning is, is a ird2 hardware cam you buy for a sat box equivalent to greywolf midnight and a phoenix running on a pc, which now from your response I know is true.
    You can say its an equivalent as softcam or software cam + phoenix reader is doing the same job as Ird2 CAM plus much more.
    Much more because the Ird2 CAM will talk to the card and exchange information with it under the CAM chip control. You won't be able to modify the data exchanged between two of them. The only what you can do is to intercept the communication in order to analise it (logging).
    With softcam scenario, you can do much more as you can send comands under software control running on your PC or linux box.

Thanks

Thanks guys that's the kind of info I was after.

I am setting all this stuff up slowly but wanted a better understanding of what is what.

I bought a twinhan AD-SP 400 CI dvb-s2 card and already built a phoenix back in the days when it was required to program a chip for optus and foxtel cable. I just need to get my sat dish up on the roof and aligned (i have assembled everything) and need to run the cabling inside the walls (which I think is going to be the hardest job).

If I can't get wincsc, greywolf midnight and phoenix all working I have the alternative to get a hardware cam and plug it in the sat card as it has a CI slot but then I can't CS to the other spot in the house

Thanks

I didn't have any luck with "wincsc" with NDS card but with "NDScam", it works well.

Thanks

Thanks guys that's the kind of info I was after.

I just need to get my sat dish up on the roof and aligned (i have assembled everything) and need to run the cabling inside the walls (which I think is going to be the hardest job)
    Have you tried a pair of diplexers ? That will allow you to use the existing coax cable from your outside aerial, saving you the need to run a new cable for your sat tv.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsbysa View Post
    Have you tried a pair of diplexers ? That will allow you to use the existing coax cable from your outside aerial, saving you the need to run a new cable for your sat tv.
    I put the new Sammy 46" F8 Full HD on the other side of the room to where the existing tv aerial was going, I also added another socket where the PC is so I had to run new cables.