Thread: I would like 15 channels

Banned
    Thanks

Default I would like 15 channels

If I got myself a HD settop box, I will be able to watch 15 different channels.
    I been trying to get a unit for $50 , but I missed out.

Seeing as how my Display is only capable of standard definition, can I use one of those SD settop boxes?
    Are those exact same 15 HD Channels available to be viewed with an SD Settop Box?
    Or do I miss out on some?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Get your self a High Definition HD box new $90 2nd hand seen them for $30 at Cash Converters and you need HD to get even more channels than Standard Definition
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

• The Following User Says Thank You to best4less For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (02-06-09)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moeee View Post
    If I got myself a HD settop box, I will be able to watch 15 different channels.
    I been trying to get a unit for $50 , but I missed out.

Seeing as how my Display is only capable of standard definition, can I use one of those SD settop boxes?
    Are those exact same 15 HD Channels available to be viewed with an SD Settop Box?
    Or do I miss out on some?
    Maybe I am misreading this post but 15 HD channels???
    If I am I apologise to Moeee unreservedy but there is only 1 HD channel per service, a total of 5.
    ie ABCHD, SBSHD,PrimeHD,WINHD and God help us, ONEHD (TENHD)which unless you live in a metropolitan area hasnt yet begun broadcasting.
    As for the those currently broadcasting, occasionaly they do have something different to the SD channels but dont get too carried away as a 50 year old B&W movie doesnt look no better on HD, excuse the grammar,than SD or a magic latern screen.

Banned
    Thanks

Maybe I'll try it like this.

At the moment I have analogue tuner and am receiving 6 different channels.

There is a commercial on TV and says about FREEVIEW, that if I get a HD settop Box I will be able to receive 15 different channels.

If I purchased a SD settop Box, how many different channels could this provide.

Not different from what I currently have, but different from each other.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

have a look here and select your location and you should see all the Channels you get (roughly)

When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moeee View Post
    If I purchased a SD settop Box, how many different channels could this provide.
    Technically 10 but ATM 7 in regional areas if you don't count SBS news and radio channels.
    SBS also uses multiple SD channels to broadcast SBS one which could one day host new content
    ABC has an extra SD channel named ABC3 which broadcasts ABC1.
    I some areas you might find a local channel but ours was shut down.

You are not missing much if you don't have HD unless you have a HD Flat screen or Projector.
    I was sometimes very annoyed when I wanted to watch LOST on my HD projector and they showed it an hour later than the SD channel when I had to go to bed earlier.
    My guess is to wait 6-12 months and HD receivers will be generally $50.-
    You could grab an SD box for now to get ABC2 and SBS2 at least. I am happy we have those channels.
    The next TV you might buy will probably have a HD tuner built in any how.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    ...My guess is to wait 6-12 months and HD receivers will be generally $50 ...
    You don't have to wait. I bought my HD MTV for $49 and I have seen SD STBs for just over $20 here in Sydney. Moee, the number of channels you ultimately get depends on where you are. At the moment there is a lot of duplication between SD and HD and the different streams of the same channel, but that will certainly change. Historically, the TV providers were authorised to transmit one channel per frequency, however, with the advent of digital I believe upto 6 different channels can be fed into the same transmission. Until recently, the providers were not permitted to differentiate the streams, meaning that they could only transmit the same content on all of them, however, that has changed opening up a new can of worms. By the time analogue is gone I think we will have more content. SBS 2 officially started today, we already have One and 9 are planning a new entertainment channel, 99. I would imagine other channels will also go on air that are not necessarily part of Freeview. The NSW Government Digital channels, for example, may make it out of the city and we also have community TV. Either way, what ever you choose, you will eventually have no choice, so it may be a good idea to check out your situation now because I have a feeling your local antenna guy will be booked out by the mad last minute rush. Personally, I would spend a few bob more and get a couple of small satellite dishes installed as well. There is a lot of good FTA content floating about: Aurora (if you qualify for access), Australia Network, all the ABCs and SBS's, NITV, Press TV, Russia Today, NHK World, etc ...

UFO

Premium Member

Thanks

SBS has started its promised channel arrangements. Late last night tho I noted they were calling the HD channel, One HD but today its just called ONE.
    A conflict of names maybe?
    Whoops, I just turned around and there is the SBS 'watermark' reading ONE HD.
    SBS now has 5 channels, 4 in SD and ONE in HD.
    Incredible how the so called Mickey Mouse channel has done this revamp as scheduled, no fuss and fanfare, but Southern Cross Media cant get ONEHD into regional OZ for 'MONTHS' ??.
    As of January 1 2010, the digital changeover commences in Mildura, Vic.
    This will take 6 months to complete before the analog service finishes there then another area will be done in 6 monthly increments before eventualy with all analog transmissions ceasing by 2013.
    For the cost today, I believe anyone buying an SD STB or TV is wasting money.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

Default You don't need a HD TV to watch HD content

This may be a little off topic but:
    I have a five year old Thomson widescreen CRT SD TV and an Olin HVBT-2000B set top box and have been watching HD broadcasts for quite a while. The Olin box has an S-Video output which The Thomson accepts.
    It's not quite as good as the RGB component output from my Teac DV-B300 SD box but at least I can view the content with no extra cost.
    Cheers

Premium Member

Thanks

Mate, as they say 'Whatever Floats your Boat'
    If it works and your happy with it, thats all that matters.
    I reckon there are 2 things CRT's have over most flat panels (Plasma/LCD) is the ability to work in near any light situation and to be viewed at very obtuse angles.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    This may be a little off topic but:
    I have a five year old Thomson widescreen CRT SD TV and an Olin HVBT-2000B set top box and have been watching HD broadcasts for quite a while. The Olin box has an S-Video output which The Thomson accepts.
    It's not quite as good as the RGB component output from my Teac DV-B300 SD box but at least I can view the content with no extra cost.
    Cheers
    Nothing wrong with still having a CRT. I believe they still have far better clear pictures when watching fast moving AFL than plasma and lcd's, where they can be quite blurry and hard on the eyes. Unless you're fortunate to have the new bewt 200Hz plasma and lcd, crt tv's still are far better for fast moving video.

15 channels with Freeview.... Depends on where you are in Australia as to how many channels there are.

In most metro areas ABCHD, ABC1 SD, ABC3 SD are all simulcast; whilst ABC2SD is different. Ch 7 (Prime) have 4 SD channels all the same; whilst 7HD is the same but some programs in the evening are different. Ch 9 (Win) have 9HD and 9SD, both the same, but during the day, 9HD have a HD promo that some retailers show to demo HD. Ch 10 have 10SD. Ch 10 also have ONEHD and two of ONESD which display the new 24hr sport channel. SBS have SBSHD, SBS1SD, SBS3SD and SBS4SD which are all the same. SBS2SD is normally a foreign news channel

If you count them up, there are more than 15 intotal, but there are only 8 real channels with different programming.

Unfortunately, in country and rural areas, you will be waiting for a while. If you're really desperate, for a relative small outlay, you could have access to many free tv channels via satellite.

If you have a SD stb, I would hold off with purchasing a HD stb. In about a years time, every stb will be HD and will be far cheaper and have more features. ie: twin tuners and with a hdd to record on to.

Just a thought