Thread: SBS launches new digital channel

Thanks

Default SBS launches new digital channel

01 June 2009 | 07:04:44 PM | Source: SBS

SBS has launched it's new digital channel SBS TWO, and despite constrained financial times and a dismal amount of funding from the government's budget, the multicultural broadcaster says they have persevered and found a way to keep the channel alive.

Introducing SBS TWO

Viewers will now be able to see extended coverage of sports, news, movies and drama.

But counting down to a new era of digital programming hasn't been all smooth sailing.

"I don't think viewers will be aware of the financial compromises that exist, they will see a range of content that they otherwise wouldn't get to see not only on SBS but frankly on any other network", SBS's managing director Shaun Brown said.

After ABC2 and Ten's sports channel One, SBS TWO is the third channel to offer alternative programming on the freeview platform.

The current main channel will be re-branded as SBS ONE.

SBS TWO will feature the World News Channel - repeats of news and current affairs and run more drama and films. It will also carry extensive sporting coverage.

"When we had the ashes four years ago we did have to compromise our coverage and switch between the Tour De France and the Ashes, this time we won't," Mr Brown said.

One media commentator says the digtial world will eventually take over and getting a head-start is vital for broadcasters.

"The big thing to look at and the big challenge is for people getting used to this new world and if they have to do it suddnely, and if SBS were to arrive there and say we're here also, that means they've got to battle everyone else," media guru Harold Mitchell said.

Mr Mitchell says broadcasters should refrain from throwing too much new material at new viewers and scaring them off.

The switch from analogue to digital is expected to kick off next year and be complete by 2013, which means all viewers will have to purchase one of these if they want to watch any television.

And if you're wondering where to find SBS TWO, have a look at channel 648 on Foxtel or Austar, or alternatively Channel 32 on a set top box

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SPLog For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (01-06-09),Uncle Fester (01-06-09)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Thanks for the Information SPLog,

So we now have

SBS One
    SBS HD
    SBS Two
    SBS 3
    SBS 4
    SBS Radio 1
    SBS Radio 2

SBS 3 & SBS 4 are currently showing the same programs as SBS One,

I wonder what is planned for SBS 3 & SBS 4 ?

Cheers
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

I Heard a while back about a new channel coming more sport shows movies etc... then forgot about it.
    Channel surfing earlier today I noticed on the EPG of SBS 2 something about SBS TWO launch, plus new water marks on SBS 1 and 2.

Looking at yahoo tv guide SBS TWO Still has the foreign news everyday till about 7.30 then the new content starts.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Just enjoying an old German film on the spanking new underfunded SBS2 right now and I live in a regional area!!!
    So why can't the mega billion loaded comercial stations NBN and TEN with all their hype about new channels, manage that?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

note that the new SBS HD channel shows a watermark of ONE HD ???

But full congrads to SBS in getting it up and running right on schedule when Southern Cross Media who rebroadcast 10 programing is still scrolling that they are 'Excited to announce the ONEHD will be seen in COMMING MONTHS'. note the word MONTHS!!!!!
    As for WIN, what channel are they ???

Nomeat, Like you I ask the very same question !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPLog View Post
    I Heard a while back about a new channel coming more sport shows movies etc... then forgot about it.

Looking at yahoo tv guide SBS TWO Still has the foreign news everyday till about 7.30 then the new content starts.
    SBS TWO replaces the SBS NEWS channel from 6.30pm
    So no more foreign news bulletins/SBS NEWS channel after 6:30pm

We still get the foreign language news bulletins on
    SBS ONE – 5.20am – 1pm
    SBS TWO – 7am – 6.30pm

Its the same foreign news programming shown at different times on both SBS ONE and TWO.

They will still be other programming as before but it will likely just be extended sports coverage. Nothing to get excited about. As SBS still doesn't have enough funding to purchase enough programms to allow it to run at least one 24hr channel, let alone 2, even by just filling it with all the foreigh news bulletins.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    They will still be other programming as before but it will likely just be extended sports coverage. Nothing to get excited about. As SBS still doesn't have enough funding to purchase enough programms to allow it to run at least one 24hr channel, let alone 2, even by just filling it with all the foreigh news bulletins.
    Greg, not having the funding of the commercial channels or the ABC may be a blessing for local content if SBS management allow themselves a bit of lateral thinking. About 10 years ago I tagged along with a techie friend to the Sydney studio of Joy's World (. Actually, the venue was the auditorium at South Sydney Leagues and every Saturday, Joy and her crew would record the following week's show. Anyway, manned with a digital camera, some audio gear and a bunch of good people, Joy was able to produce a show that even became syndicated. The atmosphere was relaxed, friendly and low budget with class. For heaven's sakes, I even found myself being interviewed about my work in front of the cameras and appeared on the show the following week. Hardly, the stuff of mega-budgets and probably the way television actually was in the beginning.

UFO