Thread: New Type Phoenix Reader

Thanks

Default New Type Phoenix Reader

Hi...I just want to know any one has got one like it .....????

friend of mine he got one of this ....but what he sad regulator 78L05 ST A A0122 gets very hot ...

This regulator can be replaced drop down the over heat?????

reader is connected to regulated DC power supply 230VAC 50Hz output 13.8VDC 6A constant 8A surge.....

any ideas?????

Look Here ->
    Thanks

His problem is the input voltage is too high - the linear regulator IC has to dissipate the difference between input (13.8V) and output (5V) voltages. If he gets rid of the 13.8V power supply and uses a 9V DC plugpack (300mA, 500mA or 1A, with positive tip) it will run cool. Suitable plugpacks can be bought from Jaycar, Dick Smith, Altronics and most other electronics stores. For example for $25 will work nicely and be handy for other things too.

It doesn't need to be regulated, but make sure it's DC - not AC!

For use with interfaces I recommend people buy non-switchmode type plugpack if given a choice, rather than a switchmode one. Non-switchmode ones are usually heavier. The packets in the store will usually indicate which type they are; if not sure you can ask the man at the counter.

If you get a one then you should always unplug the power cord before connecting or disconnecting the RS232 data cable to your PC. That's why the board has warning message "IMPORTANT - Connect computer before Power." Failing to do so can cause your interface and/or PC serial port to be permanently damaged.

If you buy a non-switchmode plugpack then you don't need to take that precaution.

If you find it works fine at 6MHz but gives framing or other errors with 3.58MHz (assuming of course you're using software and card meant for 3.58MHz) then you should desolder the blue ceramic 3.58MHz resonator, put it in the bin and replace it with a (Dick Smith Z6031, $3.95, or Jaycar RQ5272, $4.95). Ceramic resonators are dirt cheap and fine for many gadgets but are too inaccurate for use in baud generators.

I've not seen that phoenix interface design before but I don't recommend people buy it. It doesn't use a MAX232, instead it uses simple resistor networks on RS232 inputs and TTL inverter outputs to drive the RS232 outputs. Although it should work with most modern computers provided the RS232 lead is short (only 1 or 1.5m), it's not standards compliant and may not be compatible with all PCs. Also it has no signal driving CD input which means some software expecting card detection may not work.
    Last edited by gw1; 03-06-09 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks

thx for the great full info.......i plug the reader to adjustable bench top style PSU wich is supply from 5v to 20v== 5A ...

yes reader was running cool under 9v i test on 5-6-7.5 so far so good...test most of the cards all they run cool....except one card.....i notice when i instert the card to the reader Green LED lights loses the brightness goes very low...i test the card on 358mhz mode.....

as you sad canbe this ceramic 3.58MHz resonator or power follow issue to the card.....???????

Thanks

my jaycar did exactly that. (the dim light syndrome)... it maybe a 3volt card. If it is like mine (sky NDS3) the voltage will not drop low enough to reset the card on a 5 volt reader. this forms an endless reset loop when it tries to initialise the card and if in a high enough powered reader will burn the card. see my skynz jaycar tutorial in this section for pics of what it can do to your card.

Thanks

thx for the info ..i will look in to your post...